The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Aurora Audio Stinger vs BAE 1073D vs Heritage 1073/500 Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 15th July 2017
Deleted User
Aurora Audio Stinger vs BAE 1073D vs Heritage 1073/500

Man, the Aurora Audio Stinger looks pretty.

How does it compare with the BAE and Heritage units tonewise?

I had a set of CAPI VP28 and now have an API A2D. I prefer the API. It just sounds better when it's in the sweet spot. When pushed hard, they are very similar.

But, some people swear by the CAPI as the API "sound". Maybe?

Some people love Aurora mic amps as more in the spirit of Neve than AMS etc

I'm going to try and then buy, but a discussion about these units is worthy in my view.

The Stinger is quite an achievement it seems at $1495, no?
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

I haven't owned the BAE, and it's been a long time since I used the Heritage, however I've got 17 channels of Aurora pres. They sound pretty different, the other two being thicker and darker, more vintage Neve, while the Aurora is more open, more upper-mid sound and a *tad* bit cleaner. It's nice and 3 dimensional. That's what I prefer, but I could see some thinking they are thin or not as saturated compared to the others (they can get plenty dirty though). We put the Auroras directly against a Neve 1073DPA, API 3124, Great River MP-2NV, Chandler TG2, Pendulum Audio Quarter I and II, Pacifica and John Hardy M1. The Aurora was the all-round favorite, and it is still the main preamp we use, although I still really like the Pacifica and Hardy, and sometimes you need an API. The Neve had a more thick, distorted, low-mid saturation, and was better for vocals cutting through, but lower fidelity. I think the Heritage and BAE are even more in that direction.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, but if you want a more modern and open sounding Neve-style preamp that is the Stinger. They sound just as good or better than Neve, and cost way less.
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
Man, the Aurora Audio Stinger looks pretty.

(Snippety)

I'm going to try and then buy, but a discussion about these units is worthy in my view.

The Stinger is quite an achievement it seems at $1495, no?
Hi

It's $1,595 but that still a bargain for the features it has!

Aurora Audio: Stinger mic & instrument preamp | Tape Op Magazine | Longform candid interviews with music producers and audio engineers covering mixing, mastering, recording and music production.

Old 16th July 2017
Deleted User
Still a bargain, for sure
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search