The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Adding preamps. Some questions. Rackmount Synthesizers
Old 13th July 2017
Here for the gear

Adding preamps. Some questions.

Hello Slutz
So I am picking up my Digi 002r black lion Xb modded interface tomorrow.
I know she's an old piece of equipment but she sounded killer with the premium mod and now with the Xb mod black lion puts her as the 3rd best sonically sounding product they put out.
I want to add preamps to channels 5 6 7 & 8 to bump my mic inputs up to 16.
I'm thinking about an API 3124 or similar.
There shouldn't be any coloration from the 002r if the API unit is run through the 1/4 ins.....right??
Any other preamps along the lines of the API price wise etc that you would be willing to suggest I'm all ears. I record all types of music but mainly metal and hard rock. Thanks
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

API preamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtart View Post
I want to add preamps to channels 5 6 7 & 8 to bump my mic inputs up to 16.
I'm thinking about an API 3124 or similar.
Any other preamps along the lines of the API price wise etc that you would be willing to suggest
the 3124 is rife with issues. the input stage is nothing like the original 312 and the transformers sound like vanilla.
not to mention the channels closest to the power transformer pick up hum.
a set of genuine vintage 312 preamps that have not been kludged to fit into a 500 rack are the perhaps the best (imho) all around solid state preamps ever, especially good for modern music.
if you are sold on the 3124 thing, get your tech to mount the power transformer externally and consider some vibey input transformers; API 2622 or UTC O-8 are superb. the DI input compromises the mic pre circuity, get rid of it.
Old 14th July 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtart View Post
Any other preamps along the lines of the API price wise etc that you would be willing to suggest I'm all ears. I record all types of music but mainly metal and hard rock. Thanks
A Google search for "4 channel mic preamps" will bring up some more options for you, Hardy, Warm Audio, Buzz Audio etc...

Tim.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search