The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Curve Bender is coming...Worth Keeping BAX EQ now?
Old 13th July 2017
Gear Addict
Curve Bender is coming...Worth Keeping BAX EQ now?

Sup y'all...

So I have a new Curve Bender coming to my studio on Friday. Excited to add it to the rest of my setup. Question I have for anyone that has experience with both units is if it's worth keeping my BAX EQ now. I feel like I can use a plugin to simply do the same thing with filters. I'm not worried about losing any analog vibe because that will still be coming from my CB, Neve MBP, Shadow Hills MC, API 5500, Tweakers, and the 500 series EQ's and Comp's. At this point I'm thinking the BAX just won't be used so much.

Just wanted to bounce this question off some of you before I make a final decision. All thought and opinions are welcomed. Thanks
Old 13th July 2017
Gear Addict

It's coming Friday...so unless you really need to sell something quickly to recover from the purchase, try them together for a while.

After you get to know the CB and what it does best (in your specific chain, for your taste), ask yourself if you really need that BAX still. Give yourself a deadline. Try working without it a while and sell it if you don't miss it.

Someday later if you regret the move, buy another. They're readily available new and still pop up on the second hand market.

Other people may be using either one or both of those EQs differently than you, so best to decide by yourself I think.

Have fun! Sounds like a very nice collection.
Old 13th July 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
It's coming Friday...so unless you really need to sell something quickly to recover from the purchase, try them together for a while.

After you get to know the CB and what it does best (in your specific chain, for your taste), ask yourself if you really need that BAX still. Give yourself a deadline. Try working without it a while and sell it if you don't miss it.

Someday later if you regret the move, buy another. They're readily available new and still pop up on the second hand market.

Other people may be using either one or both of those EQs differently than you, so best to decide by yourself I think.

Have fun! Sounds like a very nice collection.
Thanks for that perspective which is a solid idea. I'm not in immediate need of the money to recoup from the CB purchase so I can see how they work together
Old 13th July 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDawg View Post
Sup y'all...

So I have a new Curve Bender coming to my studio on Friday. Excited to add it to the rest of my setup. Question I have for anyone that has experience with both units is if it's worth keeping my BAX EQ now. I feel like I can use a plugin to simply do the same thing with filters. I'm not worried about losing any analog vibe because that will still be coming from my CB, Neve MBP, Shadow Hills MC, API 5500, Tweakers, and the 500 series EQ's and Comp's. At this point I'm thinking the BAX just won't be used so much.

Just wanted to bounce this question off some of you before I make a final decision. All thought and opinions are welcomed. Thanks
I own both units for over eight years. I've mostly use the BAX on the master bus, but had excelent results using it on the drum bus, and on acoustic guitars.
The Curve Bender always gave me great results on the master bus, but I do use it all the time on almost everything. Excelent on drums, electric guitars, bass, vocals.
And depending on what I'm doing during mix, the Curve Bender is on a instrument track/bus, while the BAX takes care of the master bus. Sometimes is the oposite. and sometimes, both are working together on the master bus.
It all depends on what kind of music I'm working on, how it was recorded and how the customer wants it to sound.
Keep in mind also that my studio is a very small studio, and I cannot afford, yet, to have a lot of gear hardwired on the master bus. So, when it comes time to track, I need to move things around on the patch bay.
Keep both for a little bit, and decide later.
They are both amazing units.
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sup y'all...

Tip... put the Shaddow Hills MC in front of the Curve Bender on your master bus, a la Tony Maserati and others who have these pieces.

Also...Each band can be set to cut or boost at either .5 or 1.5 steps via the x1 / x1.5 switches. It used to be you'd specifically order a half db mastering version, around 2011 we combined them in one unit.

I hope you enjoy the Curve!

Last edited by adam_f; 13th July 2017 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: edited year typo from back to the future 2021 to 2011 lol
Old 13th July 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by sblue View Post
I own both units for over eight years. I've mostly use the BAX on the master bus, but had excelent results using it on the drum bus, and on acoustic guitars.
The Curve Bender always gave me great results on the master bus, but I do use it all the time on almost everything. Excelent on drums, electric guitars, bass, vocals.
And depending on what I'm doing during mix, the Curve Bender is on a instrument track/bus, while the BAX takes care of the master bus. Sometimes is the oposite. and sometimes, both are working together on the master bus.
It all depends on what kind of music I'm working on, how it was recorded and how the customer wants it to sound.
Keep in mind also that my studio is a very small studio, and I cannot afford, yet, to have a lot of gear hardwired on the master bus. So, when it comes time to track, I need to move things around on the patch bay.
Keep both for a little bit, and decide later.
They are both amazing units.
great insight...great points. Thank you!
Old 13th July 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_f View Post
Tip... put the Shaddow Hills MC in front of the Curve Bender on your master bus, a la Tony Maserati and others who have these pieces.

Also...Each band can be set to cut or boost at either .5 or 1.5 steps via the x1 / x1.5 switches. It used to be you'd specifically order a half db mastering version, around 2021 we combined them in one unit.

I hope you enjoy the Curve!
Thanks for the routing tip! Will try it out for sure!
Old 13th July 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_f View Post
around 2021 we combined them in one unit.

Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmin View Post

lol typo... 2011, will edit. hahahah rofl
Old 14th July 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmin View Post

I was scratching my head when I saw that too but I didn't want to say anything since he was being kind enough to offer some advice lol funny as hell
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Nut

Keep em. Bax on drums, CB on MB.
Old 18th July 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by decurion99 View Post
Keep em. Bax on drums, CB on MB.
That's a good idea. I'm leaning towards keeping it and moving it around to utilize elsewhere instead of the mixbus
Old 18th July 2017
Gear Addict
Figured I'd show off the CB in its new home. Used it in a mastering session last night and it did not disappoint at all! Sounds amazing. I should also mention how dope the folks at Chandler are...after posting the pic on our studio Instagram and tagging Chandler....I got a DM from them.

They basically said thanks for the purchase, welcomed me into their family of products, and then proceeded to give some tips on how to use it with the compressors I have. I thought that was super dope of them to do. It's those little things that many companies could learn to do that gives the customers confidence in their products/services.
Attached Thumbnails
Curve Bender is coming...Worth Keeping BAX EQ now?-img_0585.jpg   Curve Bender is coming...Worth Keeping BAX EQ now?-img_0586.jpg  
Old 18th July 2017
It's a dream piece of gear for sure! Congrats and enjoy making music with it!
Old 18th July 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick8801 View Post
It's a dream piece of gear for sure! Congrats and enjoy making music with it!
Most definitely! Thanks
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

if you can, keep 'em both!
these 2 are early in my chain and I find them to be the perfect match for the lowend more and more.
Old 18th July 2017
Quote:
Sup y'all...

probably depends on the work you do at your studio,
Old 18th July 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint View Post
if you can, keep 'em both!
these 2 are early in my chain and I find them to be the perfect match for the lowend more and more.
Can you explain how/what way you're integrating both?

I.e. CB top & bottom freq on shelf or bell while BAX is used to filter out freq's.
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

nothing too special... my BAX is running in m/s followed by the CB in l/r.
I just like the filters and shelf on the BAX with the bell on the CB, especially for bass.
Old 18th July 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
I just like the filters and shelf on the BAX with the bell on the CB, especially for bass.
Gotcha. It's what I envisioned as well. Still very early with it so plenty of toying around to do.
Old 26th July 2017
Gear Addict
Just a quick update.

I've had the CB and Bax together and in use at my studio for the last week doing multiple mix and master sessions. Initial thoughts are....its great!!!! The polish on the records is incredible for me. Really just took things to the next level for me and my studio. So I'm happy about the investment for sure.

I've been letting the Bax do the top and bottom shelving and then use the CB for middle bands for subtle boosts. The low end on the CB I've used on a sharp curve to typically add 1.5db to the freq where the thump of a kick is just to give it a little more "umphh". The top end band has been hit or miss in use since I don't want to boost too much and introduce and harshness or sibilance. Since I have the BAX shelving boost of a 1db at 18k, it seems the top band of the Curve Bender is just not being used much, at this point. So I know they can play nice together for sure which is good. This week I'll use only the CB and not the BAX just to see what I hear.
Old 21st May 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Hi. Sorry this may be a silly question. If you are gong into the Bax mid/side, processing then to be Curve Bender for stereo processing. How are you decoding the M/S to L/R ? Hardware? Does the bax output L/R when inputting M/S? Maybe reconverting? Maybe I don’t u derstand M/S. Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search