The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
GML8200 self noise Equalisers (HW)
Old 13th July 2017
Here for the gear

GML8200 self noise

Hi guys,

I want to buy a second hand GML8200 and I got offered one but when the seller came to my studio I discovered something strange and I would like to know if this is normal or not...
I hooked up my macbook pro using a Roland Octacapture as DA converter to a GML8200 and then straight into my Genelec speakers. When the GML was in bypass it sounded normal, with tge EQ section in, i could hear a raise in self noise coupled to the high mid section. With all the pots at zero i could hear the noise like it was boosted by the high mids. If i turned the frequency knobs the frequency of the noise shifted as well, although the boost/cut knob was at zero. Is this normal for a 6000$ unit ? The seller claims this is normal, the manual states that the noise floor raises from -98 to -73, but should this be noticeable if you alter the high mid frequency ??
All info is welcome !!

Thnx Pete
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

Send an email to gml. They are very responsive and friendly.... I had a question about my 4 ch preamp before I bought it second hand and they were prompt and helpful....
Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

No, the behavior you are hearing is not proper. The 8200 should be silent.

Please investigate further and if it continues tell your seller that the unit needs service.
Old 14th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by varisound View Post
I hooked up my macbook pro using a Roland Octacapture as DA converter to a GML8200 and then straight into my Genelec speakers.
The 8200 is quiet, but I'd make sure your connection and level through it are proper before discounting it.
Having powered monitors connected directly to the 8200 output isn't common. gl
Old 15th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Is this normal for a 6000$ unit ? The seller claims this is normal, the manual states that the noise floor raises from -98 to -73, but should this be noticeable if you alter the high mid frequency ?
Worked with that unit, it is supposed to be quiet in operation, so ask for servicing before you buy it.
Old 15th July 2017
Quote:
Hi guys,

I want to buy a second hand GML8200 and I got offered one but when the seller came to my studio I discovered something strange and I would like to know if this is normal or not...
I hooked up my macbook pro using a Roland Octacapture as DA converter to a GML8200 and then straight into my Genelec speakers. When the GML was in bypass it sounded normal, with tge EQ section in, i could hear a raise in self noise coupled to the high mid section. With all the pots at zero i could hear the noise like it was boosted by the high mids. If i turned the frequency knobs the frequency of the noise shifted as well, although the boost/cut knob was at zero. Is this normal for a 6000$ unit ? The seller claims this is normal, the manual states that the noise floor raises from -98 to -73, but should this be noticeable if you alter the high mid frequency ??
All info is welcome !!

Thnx Pete
I use one for mastering (though I have to calibrate it with tones and a scope L and R as it's not precise like the full mastering version) and I like all good solid state units I find it to be very quiet, certainly within atypical self noise for such a unit. I think this unit has a fault.
Old 15th July 2017
Gear Nut

I've had that before, it's a fault in one of the filters.
Isolate the bad that causes it and tell gml about it.
If memory serves me, they didn't want us to send in only the faulty part, we had to send the Whole unit.
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Related: The 8200 is one of my favorite things in the world.

On one song, it helped me take a bedroom demo recording of a nylon acoustic guitar, recorded with a cheap mic, and shape it so it sounds like it was recorded professionally.

Incredibly deep and precise carving tool, that thing.

- c
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

I feel like the 8200 is one of those things that can't be replicated in digital form.

But I've been wrong about that kinda thing before.

- c
Old 25th July 2017
Gear Nut

It's normally incredibly quiet. Definitely call GML as it sounds like something may not be quite right in there - they'll probably have you send it in for service.
Old 26th July 2017
Lives for gear

My 8200 has no self noise.
Old 26th July 2017
Lives for gear

Same.. Great eq!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search