The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve Portico ii Master Buss Processor experience? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckmule View Post
I have the mbp for couple days now although it's great and very transparent but I'm kinda underwhelm with it, coz for 4grand I wouldnt expect it just to add final touch to a mix, and that's kinda what I'm feeling with it so far...since I own a silverbullet which already have that neve flavor, I decided to get an sb4001 to pair with silver bullet, then I'll shoot that chain against the mbp on 2buss, I'll report back...

I got the MBP for the review I've seen every one is raving about it, but that's not really the case with me here or I'm doing something wrong, don't get me wrong it's an awesome peace of gear to have but I'm trying to justify the cost of it.
If I'll like what sb4001 plus silver bullet on my 2buss better I'll return the mbp for sure.
I also own a silver bullet and I'm looking for my main 2bus compressor. As I'm making jazz/classical music, my shortlist is focus on:
-Neve MBP
-Foote P3S M
-Dangerous Music Compressor
-Hendyamps Pollock

What do you think?
Old 1st August 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by esencia View Post
I also own a silver bullet and I'm looking for my main 2bus compressor. As I'm making jazz/classical music, my shortlist is focus on:
-Neve MBP
-Foote P3S M
-Dangerous Music Compressor
-Hendyamps Pollock

What do you think?
Hi esencia,

I know your post is from a while back...but I wanted to share some insight since I recently just bought the Neve MBP. Before I got the Neve, I was using Izotope Ozone 8 Advanced (which sounded great)...but now that I have the Neve...I'm doing some comparisons and the Neve blows it away.

The amount of analog warmth and glue that the Neve provides is incredible. The Stereo Field Editor is an absolute dream to work with as well. It really gives the mix a beautiful sounding stereo image and being able to easily push a vocal or other instrument to the front of the mix is so easy. Both Silk modes are fantastic. I recently used the Blue silk nearly all the way clockwise on this EDM track that I'm producing...and it gives such a beautiful bottom end to the mix. Also tried the Red silk on a mix that has tons of piano, guitars, and string instruments...and it really gives a nice touch to the high-mids and high frequencies.

I've had my eye on the Silver Bullet! I wonder if you can provide some feedback as to how you are mainly using it...I know it's got a ton of options and I was originally looking to pick one up to run all my tracks that were already recorded within Logic out into the SB...for some Neve and API flavor options...and then back into the DAW Now that I have the MBP I plan on running all my tracks through it at least just for the Silk...but may also lightly compress certain tracks as well.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

- Unheard Vision
Old 1st August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unheard Vision View Post
Hi esencia,

I know your post is from a while back...but I wanted to share some insight since I recently just bought the Neve MBP. Before I got the Neve, I was using Izotope Ozone 8 Advanced (which sounded great)...but now that I have the Neve...I'm doing some comparisons and the Neve blows it away.

The amount of analog warmth and glue that the Neve provides is incredible. The Stereo Field Editor is an absolute dream to work with as well. It really gives the mix a beautiful sounding stereo image and being able to easily push a vocal or other instrument to the front of the mix is so easy. Both Silk modes are fantastic. I recently used the Blue silk nearly all the way clockwise on this EDM track that I'm producing...and it gives such a beautiful bottom end to the mix. Also tried the Red silk on a mix that has tons of piano, guitars, and string instruments...and it really gives a nice touch to the high-mids and high frequencies.

I've had my eye on the Silver Bullet! I wonder if you can provide some feedback as to how you are mainly using it...I know it's got a ton of options and I was originally looking to pick one up to run all my tracks that were already recorded within Logic out into the SB...for some Neve and API flavor options...and then back into the DAW Now that I have the MBP I plan on running all my tracks through it at least just for the Silk...but may also lightly compress certain tracks as well.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

- Unheard Vision
Finally, I've also bought the Neve MBP II... and I'm blow away. After having Titans, Rockruepel, A-designs nail.. This IS THE BEST one for me!
I love... everything that you described.
The 3D control and glueing even with extreme ratios is completely musical.
I've use it with Silver bullet, Wes audio Dione, Wes audio Hyperion, Bettermaker Limiter, Bricasti M7M and hedd quantum. I cannot be more happy with this setup.
60% of them with full digital recall, and the rest of the with just some settings I'm getting a nice result.
I'd recommend you to take a look into wes audio and bettermaker gear
Old 2nd August 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by esencia View Post
Finally, I've also bought the Neve MBP II... and I'm blow away. After having Titans, Rockruepel, A-designs nail.. This IS THE BEST one for me!
I love... everything that you described.
The 3D control and glueing even with extreme ratios is completely musical.
I've use it with Silver bullet, Wes audio Dione, Wes audio Hyperion, Bettermaker Limiter, Bricasti M7M and hedd quantum. I cannot be more happy with this setup.
60% of them with full digital recall, and the rest of the with just some settings I'm getting a nice result.
I'd recommend you to take a look into wes audio and bettermaker gear
I will definitely look into those! But, I'll need to wait until after my wedding (9/22)...I can't afford to spend any more money on gear lol. It's been a fun year of upgrading the studio, though!

I seriously can't believe how musical the MBP sounds. It's my first piece of Neve gear...and I now understand why Rupert is a legend. Now I want a Portico II channel since I know the sound will be unreal.

So how are you mainly using the Silver Bullet? I've heard the mic pres are actually quite good...are you using them a lot? Or mainly just feeding the SB with already recorded tracks from your DAW to get some flavor? What would you recommend as my next gear purchase?

Also, are you just slapping the MBP on at the very end? Or are you using it during production and mixing? This EDM song that I'm writing...I'm finding that when I keep the MBP engaged as I'm adding new tracks and mixing as I go...it's really helping to glue the sound together...and I imagine it will make mastering much smoother and easier overall to get the sound I want. Curious how you and others are using the MBP, though.
Old 18th November 2018
Lives for gear

Any more info on this compare to the silver bullet?
Old 18th November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmasset View Post
Any more info on this compare to the silver bullet?
I ended up buying a Silver Bullet as well and I'm using it before my Neve MBP. It's a fantastic box. I'm using the analog mojo section and loving N > A as well as
A > N. My favorite part is the EQ section. Even tho it's so simple it allows you to sweeten the low and high end very nicely. I haven't even tried out the stereo mic Pres but I've heard they are very nice as well. I couldn't be happier with using both the SB and MBP.
Old 18th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I ended up buying a Silver Bullet as well and I'm using it before my Neve MBP. It's a fantastic box. I'm using the analog mojo section and loving N > A as well as
A > N. My favorite part is the EQ section. Even tho it's so simple it allows you to sweeten the low and high end very nicely. I haven't even tried out the stereo mic Pres but I've heard they are very nice as well. I couldn't be happier with using both the SB and MBP.
Thanks! If you wouldn’t use the Eq on the SB, would the consider the core sound quality of the MBP better? I don’t use the mic pre’s much on my SB and was thinking a bit of m/s Eq would be more useful to me so I’m wondering if I should replace the SB with something like the MBP instead of buying an additional ssl comp to go with the SB.
Old 18th November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmasset View Post
Thanks! If you wouldn’t use the Eq on the SB, would the consider the core sound quality of the MBP better? I don’t use the mic pre’s much on my SB and was thinking a bit of m/s Eq would be more useful to me so I’m wondering if I should replace the SB with something like the MBP instead of buying an additional ssl comp to go with the SB.
Hmmm...I personally wouldn't want to produce a song without using both the SB and MBP in my mastering chain. The sound quality of both units is incredible. I have found that with the MBP you can definitely push it much harder without artifacts or any distortion. Keep in mind though, the MBP is a compressor and the SB is more analog mojo and sweetening EQ.

When I bypass the SB and leave the MBP engaged I'm immediately missing the analog warmth and 3D soundstage from the SB mojo section...and I also slightly boost the Sub and Presence sections and it's truly remarkable how much of a difference it makes.

However...if I bypass the Neve and only leave the SB in the chain I'm immediately missing the beautiful transformer saturation, Silk, and Stereo Field Editor. The SFE is honestly one of the best parts about the MBP and has truly taken my mixes to another level. I've never heard anything widen the stereo field and add depth like the MBP.

Having said all of this...I also have a pre-order on a Stam Audio SA4000 mkii because I want to also have the SSL G series style compressor option

Before I found Gearslutz...I was only using Izotope Ozone for mastering...so glad I discovered this community and all of the amazing recommendations. Using analog has sounded so much better and now I don't use Ozone at all.

So to answer your question...I would recommend you get the MBP...but use it with the SB. If you don't find the SB adding much to the mix...then you can part ways with it...but I have a feeling you will keep it
Old 18th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
So to answer your question...I would recommend you get the MBP...but use it with the SB. If you don't find the SB adding much to the mix...then you can part ways with it...but I have a feeling you will keep it
Thanks!
Old 18th November 2018
I have the Portico 5043 compressor which is a lot cheaper than the Mastering version. It still has feedback and feed forward mode and is an excellent compressor for individual tracks and 2 bus with those nice transformers. I always loved the Neve Mastering comp but just wonder how much difference you would hear if your using up to - 4 dB on a 2 bus.
Old 12th March 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckmule View Post
I was trying mixing with it on my 2bus, but it seems like you guys bring it later,
Any more tips? Kinda feel terrible that I'm that guy that's not really digging this unit like the rest of you.
Also I still need more time with it for sure, lots of options with it kinda overwhelming really
Do you still have it? I just demo'd one on a drum bus I exported from a finished mix and LOOOOOVED it on that. I printed that drum bus, and then sent the rest of the song (minus drums) plus the Neve drum bus to master. I liked that quite a bit too. Until I sent the Neve drums into the Variable Mu with Tbar Mod! That just made the final mix gorgeous.

Now to decide what to buy! Wish I could get my hands on an API 2500 before I order things. HAHA.

PS, I got to the part about you liking it after I posted this, but my questions still work. :-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just got MBP yesterday. After an evening with it, all I can say is WOW! It’s such a deep box. I’m really looking forward to exploring it more. But a few moves took a master to an incredible place. This is a desert island piece.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
Just got MBP yesterday. After an evening with it, all I can say is WOW! It’s such a deep box. I’m really looking forward to exploring it more. But a few moves took a master to an incredible place. This is a desert island piece.
Could not agree with you more! I got mine back in September and it absolutely blew my mind. My favorite part about this unit (which came as a huge surprise to me) is the Stereo Field Editor. Even with extreme settings the depth and width have a mind-boggling natural sound. It has taken my ITB mixes to another level.

I'm also using it with a Louder than Liftoff Silver Bullet and the combination is fantastic!

Look forward to hearing your other thoughts on the MBP as you get to explore it more. It's so addicting. I plan on redoing all of my old mixes through the MBP.

Enjoy!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

SFE is incredible!! But just pushing up the input creates a beautiful gain stage. And the silk is also amazing. Pushing it into tube gear is sublime. It’s a match made in heaven!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
SFE is incredible!! But just pushing up the input creates a beautiful gain stage. And the silk is also amazing. Pushing it into tube gear is sublime. It’s a match made in heaven!!
Yes, the input is dangerously smooth. I've noticed I can easily push it to +10 on most mixes without any noticeable distortion. Sometimes a few ticks higher too lol. Yeah, the red silk is my favorite most of the time but blue silk does wonders for low end on EDM type mixes.

Now you have me curious...are you taking the output from the MBP and going directly into tube gear?! Or vice versa? I always have the MBP as the last in my mastering chain. Would love to know what gear you're using in your chain!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

MBP, into tube Pultec clones (M/S), into Manley Vari Mu (M/S). Dangerous Bax at the end for hp/lp filters. OooooooooWee! I also have API 5500 which sounds best right after the MBP. Or a digital eq before the MBP. The MBP has opened up my chain in a new way. It’s really impressive!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search