The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Overstayer MAS Owners
Old 8th May 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
Really *really* like this box. So much so, I picked up a second one. The first one is locked on my drum bus, pushing the input a little hard, but only blending in 20%. Gushy lows, full mids, and tastefully breaking-up highs. Dream box for my style.

I’m looking forward to seeing how the second one can play a role on the mix bus or possibly for lead vocals or guitar bus.

how do you find the MAS does at taming your drum transients (or transients in general), does it fatten them up in the same way pushing tape limits transients, or is it more of a limiter/comp type effect?

Opinions on Overstayer gear in general seem stellar (though vague) but there aren't many Overstayer demonstrations online, and their descriptions of the products overlap so much that it is hard to figure out which to audition for which particular use. I'm basically trying to figure out which (if any) I can use to try to emulate tape limiting.

Thanks
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Long post...

I agree, the product line confuses me too, and before deciding on a second MAS, I considered SFE and SVC. This is my sense of the product line, but I’m happy to be corrected because I haven’t auditioned these (yet):

SFE = Stereo Field Effect (Transistor) = Stereo FET compressor = 1176-ish compressor + saturation

SVC = Stereo Voltage Control(led Amplifier) = Stereo VCA compressor = SSL-ish comp + saturation

I have VCA and FET comps covered, and am more interested in things that are pushed-console-y or pushed-tape-y in nature.

That said, I didn’t grow up in the tape/console era, and have no real tape or real console experience. My main points of reference are the UAD ATR-201 plug-in, which I *love*, and my Revox77 at 7.5ips. I also picked up an ATR-700 but it needs repair.

I also tried the Phoenix Nicerizer, and loved just pushing stereo content through it, but it seemed a little expensive since I wasn’t using the summing features.

All that led me to MAS which I don’t think is intended to replicate tape, but just sort of embiggens stuff I push through it. The more I explore these types of devices, the more I feel that what I’ve been trying to find in compressors, I really should get from tape or console type effects.

I don’t know if the MAS is authentic, I just know I love it.

- Proxy

PS: For reference, I like producers/mixers like Nigel G, Shawn E, Rick Rubin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca View Post
how do you find the MAS does at taming your drum transients (or transients in general), does it fatten them up in the same way pushing tape limits transients, or is it more of a limiter/comp type effect?

Opinions on Overstayer gear in general seem stellar (though vague) but there aren't many Overstayer demonstrations online, and their descriptions of the products overlap so much that it is hard to figure out which to audition for which particular use. I'm basically trying to figure out which (if any) I can use to try to emulate tape limiting.

Thanks
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Head
Thanks for the helpful reply, proxy. I too am covered on the compressor front.

i'm curious if the MAS is "embiggening" things similar to tape transient shaving/limiting. Anyone with tape and MAS experience able to chime in?

thanks
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Other people should chime in with their actual tape experience, but yes, I find it does the transient rounding/blunting thing more than the envelope shaping/pumping thing for sure.

Quote:

i'm curious if the MAS is "embiggening" things similar to tape transient shaving/limiting. Anyone with tape and MAS experience able to chime in?

thanks
Old 11th May 2019
I've had a MAS for over two years now. I love it. I have considered getting a 2nd one and still might in the future. I track thru it all the time. And always mix thru it, putting it right after my mix compressor.

I have used analog tape for years too. Still do on most of the records I make. The MAS does do kind of a "tape" thing to the sounds. Not exactly the same effect to me but similar. One of the benefits of tape I feel is the compression that doesn't sound like compression, if that makes sense. The MAS does that as well to my ears. I still generally prefer using analog tape on drums (partly because I don't have enough MAS boxes to cover a whole drum kit - which I want to try someday!). But the MAS on bass, guitar, piano/keys, and vocals works almost the same as tape. So much so that I no longer worry about whether to record those instruments on tape or not. I just use the MAS.

On the first record I worked on after buying the MAS, after recording all the drums to tape (then dumping them into PT), I recorded everything else thru the MAS (bass, guitars, synths) except for vocals. Sometimes I really dug into the MAS with the mix at 60-70%. Other times it was more subtle. But when it came time to mix the record, I did feel like it was easier to get the mixes balanced and I didn't have to use as much compression on individual tracks or busses to get the mixes where I wanted them.

I'm not sure how it works but it just works. It makes everything sound better, IMO.
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1272 View Post
I've had a MAS for over two years now. I love it. I have considered getting a 2nd one and still might in the future. I track thru it all the time. And always mix thru it, putting it right after my mix compressor.

I have used analog tape for years too. Still do on most of the records I make. The MAS does do kind of a "tape" thing to the sounds. Not exactly the same effect to me but similar. One of the benefits of tape I feel is the compression that doesn't sound like compression, if that makes sense. The MAS does that as well to my ears. I still generally prefer using analog tape on drums (partly because I don't have enough MAS boxes to cover a whole drum kit - which I want to try someday!). But the MAS on bass, guitar, piano/keys, and vocals works almost the same as tape. So much so that I no longer worry about whether to record those instruments on tape or not. I just use the MAS.

On the first record I worked on after buying the MAS, after recording all the drums to tape (then dumping them into PT), I recorded everything else thru the MAS (bass, guitars, synths) except for vocals. Sometimes I really dug into the MAS with the mix at 60-70%. Other times it was more subtle. But when it came time to mix the record, I did feel like it was easier to get the mixes balanced and I didn't have to use as much compression on individual tracks or busses to get the mixes where I wanted them.

I'm not sure how it works but it just works. It makes everything sound better, IMO.
Hey Shawn,

Do you have any specific way of how you set MAS when you mix thru it?

Thanks
Old 12th May 2019
The Input/Output and Mix knobs always change depending on the song. But I almost always have the Dual and Emphasis buttons pushed in. I hardly ever have the 2nd button in. That one just doesn't do it for me. And the EQ buttons vary too (depending on the song). But I when I need them it's nice to have those Hi and Low EQ bumps and even the low cut in as well. Again, this box just works. On everything.
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

I’m really enjoying having two right now.

On the drum bus, I often have it:
- high and low shelf on
- dual off
- pushing into distortion
- 50% blend
- 2nd in
- emphasis off

For mix bus, I often have the second one:
- high low shelf off
- dual on
- pushing into distortion but less
- 20%-25% blend
- 2nd off
- emphasis on

I have the high pass off on both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1272 View Post
The Input/Output and Mix knobs always change depending on the song. But I almost always have the Dual and Emphasis buttons pushed in. I hardly ever have the 2nd button in. That one just doesn't do it for me. And the EQ buttons vary too (depending on the song). But I when I need them it's nice to have those Hi and Low EQ bumps and even the low cut in as well. Again, this box just works. On everything.
Old 20th May 2019
Quote:

thanks
The M-A-S is very subtle. Some folks can't even hear what it's doing. I love it. To me it's not so much like the warmth or fuzziness you get from tape but more like pushing all the electronics in an old studio to the limit.
That point that sounds great before things cave in.
Old 20th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
I’m really enjoying having two right now.

On the drum bus, I often have it:
- high and low shelf on
- dual off
- pushing into distortion
- 50% blend
- 2nd in
- emphasis off

For mix bus, I often have the second one:
- high low shelf off
- dual on
- pushing into distortion but less
- 20%-25% blend
- 2nd off
- emphasis on

I have the high pass off on both.
I'm kinda jealous. I have the SFE on drums high ratio blended 60:40 and some times it solidifies perfectly and other times it doesn't work at all. Maybe M-A-S limiting would suit me better. I had the RND MBPII on my bus the other day and that was sounding really good.
Old 25th May 2019
Gear Nut

Love mine to bits. I use it primarily at the very end of my mixbuss chain. Dual and Emphasis engaged, 2nd Off. EQs always off. Mix knob generally stays around 30% territory and input drive to taste.
Old 30th May 2019
Yes great saturation on mix buss. Subtle but used on every mix.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Head
One thing that bugs me is the lack of any real demo video or audio of the MAS, and just Overstayer in general. I know they wouldn't be the end all, be all, but they'd at least give a feel for what it's doing, rather than the overlapping, vague word salad used to describe the different units. You'd think by now that with all the raves about these, there'd be plenty of demos out there showing it off.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Can’t help with the demos, but this is a good way of thinking of their product line:

MAS: Console-y thing + saturation
SFE: 1176-y thing + saturation
SVC: SSL G comp-y thing + saturation

I still have both of my MAS units, and they’re an essential part of getting things to how I hear them.

Quote:
One thing that bugs me is the lack of any real demo video or audio of the MAS, and just Overstayer in general. I know they wouldn't be the end all, be all, but they'd at least give a feel for what it's doing, rather than the overlapping, vague word salad used to describe the different units. You'd think by now that with all the raves about these, there'd be plenty of demos out there showing it off.
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I been having the same issue so just decided to do a quick and dirty video of my own. Nothing special but you'll at least hear some quality audio running through the MAS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv6eCdhxRKw

Last edited by AudioKemestry; 13th June 2019 at 06:33 AM..
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
One thing that bugs me is the lack of any real demo video or audio of the MAS, and just Overstayer in general.
ZenPro Clipalator my dude! It was a big reason why I purchased the MAS from them. Warren was super helpful in answering my questions
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search