The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve flavor for 500 series 500 Series Preamps
Old 1st August 2017
  #61
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
So it's not a vintage 312? It's just a big standard A2D.
Yes. Modern API! Love it. Just like modern AMS Neve. It just has this something.

The Heritage and CAPI have something too.

I dig the modern API.
Old 3rd August 2017
  #62
Lives for gear
 
BradM's Avatar
I have a vintage 325 card that was racked up and turned into a 312 preamp. It sounds very open and airy. There's actually a lift in the high frequency response due to some transformer ringing. It's definitely more detailed than the CAPI VP28 I have here as well.

Brad
Old 3rd August 2017
  #63
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
I have a vintage 325 card that was racked up and turned into a 312 preamp. It sounds very open and airy. There's actually a lift in the high frequency response due to some transformer ringing. It's definitely more detailed than the CAPI VP28 I have here as well.

Brad
It's a really nice sound.

For thicker, weightier preamps, I like the Neve thing. The CAPI are cool, fore sure. But I'm happy with the Neve and APi sound.

The two together are great.

I also have two Buzz Elixirs that have clear low end beef and a clean open top that work well with the API and Neve. They don't compete with the API or Neve in the FREQ signature. They add beef and top in a different place.


I just picked up another API A2D for a total of 4 channels with those lovely converters.

I'm going to keep expanding the A2D system.

My DAW returns hit the line inputs on all my preamps. With the push of a button, I'm mixing with stellar circuitry.

The A2D A/D insert receives the summing mixbus, which I AES to a separate computer.

It's a simple and straight forward way to work.
Old 3rd August 2017
  #64
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
My DAW returns hit the line inputs on all my preamps.
I'm confused about this. I only have a few nice outboard preamps, but none of them have line inputs. Line meaning +4-ish. Or do you mean something other than mic preamps?
Old 3rd August 2017
  #65
Lives for gear
 
hasbeen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I'm confused about this. I only have a few nice outboard preamps, but none of them have line inputs. Line meaning +4-ish. Or do you mean something other than mic preamps?
I have some preamps with line in. AML ez1073, CAPI VP28 and Hairball LOLA are the first 3 that come in mind. The AML has separate XLR inputs and the others have switches.

Old 5th August 2017
  #66
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I'm confused about this. I only have a few nice outboard preamps, but none of them have line inputs. Line meaning +4-ish. Or do you mean something other than mic preamps?
All my preamps have a line input. Usually there is a mic/line button or switch. Oftentimes there is a separate line input.

I have the outputs split, so that I can track, monitor and mix at the push of a button.
Old 5th August 2017
  #67
Lives for gear
 
DarkSky Media's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
All my preamps have a line input. Usually there is a mic/line button or switch. Oftentimes there is a separate line input.

I have the outputs split, so that I can track, monitor and mix at the push of a button.
Yes, although per the question amor Brent, they're not always strictly +4 line level. Their primary purpose is to accept line inputs from a range of devices, many of which supply levels more like -10 or even -20dB.
Old 5th August 2017
  #68
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post
Yes, although per the question amor Brent, they're not always strictly +4 line level. Their primary purpose is to accept line inputs from a range of devices, many of which supply levels more like -10 or even -20dB.
This is true. You need to read the specifications carefully.
Old 5th August 2017
  #69
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
This is true. You need to read the specifications carefully.
I guess so. The "non-mic" inputs on all of my fancier mic pres are sensitive enough that they'll work fine with the signal from a passive electric guitar or bass. Have to imagine that's way lower than +4 (I'm clearly not a knowledgeable tech), and it doesn't seem to me that running the outs of my DAW d/a's straight into them would be a good match.
Old 6th August 2017
  #70
Gear Nut
I've heard a great demo of Avedis MA5
Old 6th August 2017
  #71
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I guess so. The "non-mic" inputs on all of my fancier mic pres are sensitive enough that they'll work fine with the signal from a passive electric guitar or bass. Have to imagine that's way lower than +4 (I'm clearly not a knowledgeable tech), and it doesn't seem to me that running the outs of my DAW d/a's straight into them would be a good match.
Do whatever you're comfortable with man.

The inputs on some of my preamps are capable of mic, Line and DI.

Check the impedance and headroom. Some mic amps have pads and I have one that has a unique type of attenuator.
They also have different input impedance ratings.

Impedance is important. You don't want to high load the source ... it craps the signal out.

Some inputs are 1 mega ohm. Some are in the hundreds.

Just depends on what input you're using and the impedance and headroom.
Old 6th August 2017
  #72
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Is this gearslutz?

mic/line...who cares? Pad the ****...

Ultimately, it either sounds good or not, no more no less.
Old 6th August 2017
  #73
Gear Maniac
 
Rtroost's Avatar
Loving the solid sound of the heritage. I have the 73jr. Picked it over the 1073lb and the 511 ... havent been able to hands on the ma5 but will probably avoid since the heritage is making me smile.

Now i need a good eq to match. Maybe the avedis? Spoiled by the eqp-ish one in my retro powerstrip.
Old 26th September 2017
  #74
Deleted User
Guest
The Heritage DI is really amazing. I'm running a 90s digital synth (CS6X) into it and wow does the synth sound amazing now. Almost analog in a way.

Thicker, solid, controlled and rich. It's truly astonishing.

I want 8 channels of just Heritage DI.
Old 27th September 2017
  #75
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtroost View Post
havent been able to hands on the ma5 but will probably avoid since the heritage is making me smile.
Don't avoid. This is GS you need to splurge!
Kidding aside the 73jr and the MA5 are not exactly apples to oranges but they are not the same beasts. The MA5 is more like its designer's logical progression for the 1073. It's a bit cleaner with a lower noise floor, a little more focused, but retains that big Neve sound with a nice perk having the E27 EQ 28kHz shelf built in.
I tend to use them in areas where something is going to be more forward (or alone) in a mix.
Old 27th September 2017
  #76
Gear Nut
Another vote for soundskulptor. The mp573 is amazing. I had a black lion b173 before and the soundskulptor has something more special in the bass. Just sounds more full (and way less noisy). I also have hairball Lola's but that are on the cleaner side and I wouldn't call them neve-like but they are great.
Old 28th September 2017
  #77
Lives for gear
 

The AMS sounds the best in Trashman's clips. Heritage, BAE, and API also nice. I can definitely hear the 'spikiness' in the BAE but it's got some nice dimensionality to it too.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump