The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me get the best out of the 1073DPA Channel Strips
Old 29th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Help me get the best out of the 1073DPA

I recently bought the 1073DPA. It is hooked up to a Prism Titan going into Pro Tools (not HD) on a Mac.

When I want to get the preamp to really work/saturate without clipping the inputs of the Titan/an interface, how can this be achieved?

Right now I am turning the dark red clicky button as high as possible and then turning down the trim pot down, is that the correct way? I kind of feel that the signal gets too loud to really get the preamp to 'work hard'.

Before this I used a Focusrite Trakmaster that had an output level knob at the end so it was easy to overdrive the preamp without clipping the input of the interface. Just trying to get my head around on how to achieve this with the 1073DPA.

Last edited by Bluesdog; 30th June 2017 at 02:17 AM..
Old 30th June 2017
Gear Maniac

I found this on another forum: "The issue with Neve modules is that you are missing the fader they used to be attached to."
Old 30th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesdog View Post
I found this on another forum: "The issue with Neve modules is that you are missing the fader they used to be attached to."
i just posted this in another older thread about this same thing ..

hi, this was answered a couple of times but probably got lost in the shuffle ..

1) set the Trim at 12 o'clock .. no cut / no boost (as geoff tanner mentioned there is an amplifier on the boost side of that Trim knob) .. this is clean and Unity Gain ..

2) set the Red Knob until you reach the desired output level for the next piece of Gear in your Signal Chain ..

3) if you are trying to overdrive the input amplifier to try and get some sort of "SOUND" .. then use the Trim knob to Fine Tune your levels after you adjust the RED Input knob ..

now, some people want to drive that input really hot .. and if the Trim knob is not enough to bring the level down for the next piece of gear you will need another way to Attenuate that signal !!!

i use a Compressor after my 1073 so i have another set of in's and out's to adjust and massage my levels ..

make sense !!!

cheers john
Old 18th July 2017
Here for the gear

Set trim to maximum and adjust gain to desired level. Done
Old 21st July 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedxSherb View Post
Set trim to maximum and adjust gain to desired level. Done
I think Joe Barresi likes the opposite of that...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLaF...outu.be&t=1869 (starts at 31:10)
Old 21st July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192
i use a Compressor after my 1073 so i have another set of in's and out's to adjust and massage my levels ..
Exactly. Run an 1176 or similar good comp after that 1073 and it's glorious.
Old 24th July 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesdog View Post
I think Joe Barresi likes the opposite of that...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLaF...outu.be&t=1869 (starts at 31:10)
Well Geoff Tanner formerly a employee of Neve says different. Same Geoff Tanner of Aurora Audio.
Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom View Post
Exactly. Run an 1176 or similar good comp after that 1073 and it's glorious.
Yes, this.

Or just use a passive pad after the 1073, if you don't need compression. A variable pad is even better, so you can tweak the levels at each stage on the fly.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search