The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are my Calrec PQ-15s worth? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 20th June 2017
Gear Nut

What are my Calrec PQ-15s worth?

Guys -

I have a pair of PQ-15s that I don't use and want to trade for a vintage guitar. They have been racked up with phantom and a Hi Z input. I've done the usual web research, but these are so rare that they hardly come up for sale. Based on what I've seen in the past for those and 1161s, I'm thinking they are worth $4-5K for the pair with rack, but I'd love some informed opinions.

Thanks for any help with this. I'm really jonesing for a 60's telecaster or full sized Gibson archtop like an ES-175, 350, 125DC, L-7, etc.
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

1161/1061 are WAY more flexible in the EQ dept.

A local skit here had a pair of nicely racked 1161's that we're going for $3k.. I'd say anywhere between $2000-2375 if the rack job was well done and properly powered etc etc. The added eq is really where the money is at... I have 6 of them(1161)!
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

They are worth a tremendous amount of money because they are the Top Calrec model equivalent to the best Neve made. The BBC had three suppliers of these modules and they are very similar. The suppliers were Neve, Calrec, and Audix. Maintain a high price for them. If others say differently, they don't know about them.
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

I had Calrec PQ14, PQ15 & 1161's in my studio many years ago and I am interested where the collective thought lands them relative to Nevey equivalents.

Back in the day I had the Calrecs I also had 33114's and 33129's in the racks. I was piqued by Vintech X81's and after demoing a pair in the studio decided to sell off all the pres above and I wound up buying a rack of x81's for less money. The x81's kicked ass as I preferred the class A amp sound overall. I thought the PQ14 and PQ15 sounded better than the 1161's for example, and the other Neve's I had, but there was no question that that having a great amp mated with the x81's 4 band EQ made the decision an easy one. For reference, these decisions came at a time when I was still trying to use my A800 as much as possible and went for "the sound" at tracking....boosting HF and compressing things after tracking meant more noise.

(As years went by I grew to want other things out of the EQ on the x81 and modded them with Dallas's help but for the sake of this little aside, I thought the Class A amp in the Vintech sounded great and the price made it a no brainer. I think if you are only ever tracking two instruments then getting a pair of whatever makes you happy is probably the way to go. Tracking 24 tracks or more at the same time changes the game in my view.)

As someone else said, 15's are great, but how much of the price of Neve's is in the Neve name, which has eclipsed the actual value of the tool.
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

I've had neve 33114 & 33135 side by side and I sold the real deals and pocketed the change. Thought they were pretty damn close and bought a pulse eq which I get FAR more value out of these days given I only really mix now.

As the last post said.. They're tools and the calrecs are awesome ones to boot.

Info was tracking regularly I'd consider a pair of X81's or neve 1081 to compliment my 1066 and calrec 1061. Very punchy modules!

Wiggy
Old 21st June 2017
They're the best but they're only desired by those in the know. I have a rack of 8 and sold a side car of 8. I'd say yours are worth $1500-$2000 in real street terms.

They sound way better than Neve for a 1/8th of the price.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search