The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 2500 Consoles
Old 10th June 2002
Gear Nut

API 2500

Any one had any hands on experience with the API 2500 comp?

Seriously thinking of one. Had such good experience with the pre's and killer referals re: the 2-bus comp.

I will have to buy without hearing one as there is no dealer where I am at. Any thoughts?

May the horse be with you.

Nik
Old 10th June 2002
Lives for gear

kinda funny coincidence .... Just at the same time I am posting a new thread about trying out stuff before buying .... you mention it in yours ....

oh ... sorry ... don't know the 2500 but I'm sure there will be others with more helpfull things to say about it ...

I've worked on consoles with api elements ... eq / dynamics in them though ... if that 2500 is in the same line as those ....
Old 10th June 2002
Man that thing LOOKS SO COOL!

I do belive in gear 'instinct'

So regarding this post, my instinct tells me;

It's had good reports on line

Has some unique features

Looks amazing

And - YOUR'E GONNA BUY IT!

heh

(I want one!)
Old 10th June 2002
Lives for gear

Ditto.....

Gagging to take one for a test drive aorund the block next time i have a job .....but there are none here in Australia.. so who knows if its as good as i can imagine, and as punchy as their preamps i may just buy one sight unseen....

can someone borrow or hire one so we can all put out gear muses to rest!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 10th June 2002
Moderator emeritus

Re: API 2500

Quote:
Originally posted by Nik
Any one had any hands on experience with the API 2500 comp?

Nik
Yep - it's truly a lovely piece of work. Definitely on my short list of compressor needs.
Old 11th June 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Hi Dave, does that mean you have heard/used it?

Details, please!

After all, if no one has used the thing, it could sound like dfegad for all we know. heh
Old 11th June 2002
"can someone borrow or hire one so we can all put out gear muses to rest!"

I should be able to get a loaner... as this is fast turning out to be one of the audio forum "white alligators" or audio myths, I should put my hand up and do a test!!! Besides I keep bitching about my SSL compressor... SO!

Perhaps later this week..

Jon - where is your 'gear faith'?

Or do you only have 'ear faith'
Old 11th June 2002
Gear Nut

Had a good long chat with Paul Wolff (API) last night. Will probably work something out.

Jules, I was "this" close to buying a Smart comp. but really want something that can slam but still has a sense of openess in the highs. The Avalons ( an option at one point) have the open high thing but somehow have a different character in the low mids and lows. Understandable as they are quite different animals. Still......I want what I want!

Had a friend of mine just complete some mixes on an API Legacy in Nashville and he was really amped about the 2-buss comp. Same as 2500. I really respect his work so hense the serious enquiry.

I am at the point of wondering

1. Upgrade PT to HD or..... save the cash....

2. Stuff that idea and invest in real gear that does not become worthless, sounds great and, becomes a classic.

Any advice re: this PT upgrade would be most welcome
Old 11th June 2002
Gear Nut

Sorry!

Forgot to sign my namerollz

Cheers,

Nik
Old 11th June 2002
Gear Nut

EEEYAAAA!!

Sorry, me again. Hey, I have been up since 4am and wondering if I should start mixing or have a cup of tea instead.

4:54 am and time for some good coffee.

Should start a coffee thread sometime??

Scotch thread is also good idea

Forgot to ask what the going street price for the 2500 in the US & UK is?

Looked at Mercenary but they don't seem to list the unit.

Nik
Old 11th June 2002
Lives for gear

Only tried it for one day but was very happy with it across the mix buss.
Old 11th June 2002
" Stuff that idea and invest in real gear that does not become worthless, sounds great and, becomes a classic."

That has a good ring to it..

So...whats your best input (mic pre / eq /comp?
& best converter?

Old 11th June 2002
Lives for gear

Jules....

Go and speak to Mark @ Funky-Junk.... ply him with good natured compleints and then ask him to borrow the 2500.....

While ya at it borrow a pair of dakings and tell him how much u like his new premises when u ask for the dakings.....

Cos we have got to get this sorted out... will this be the new box to knock Al smart from the top perch.... as much as i love AL Smart C1 and C2... and all they do, i am allways looking for new 'funky' gear and soundz for da mix.... and i am hoping this box will be da **** we all are craving for like the good gear junkies we all are!!!!
Old 11th June 2002
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by jon
Hi Dave, does that mean you have heard/used it?

Details, please!

After all, if no one has used the thing, it could sound like dfegad for all we know. heh
Yeah, I had one for a couple of weeks to play with - transparent it ain't (but none of the API stuff is...), but the sound was pretty amazing.

It's been almost a year, so I've forgotten most of the details. But I remember that I really, really liked the sound of the box.
Old 12th June 2002
Gear Nut

5am again.

Start the day.

Tired.

Transparent API.........quite right that this they are not but attitude with slick is probably my impression of what API seems to do to the signal.

So far seems like the experience had, by those lucky enough to have felt one, is really good.

Just confirming my gut feel.............Jules you are right..........I will more than likely do this thing!

In the process of playing games with a record company in Nashville. Amazing how hard it can be to have confirmed money transfers, signed P.O's BEFORE the project kicks off.

grudge

Thanks so much for your input everyone. VERY much appreciated!

Nik
Old 13th June 2002
Lives for gear

This compressor sucks my ass like kayd sucks goat weiner.
Old 15th June 2002
Gear Nut

Thanks for the input.

Cheers
Old 24th July 2002
Gear Nut

Stepping forth out of the depths of tracking

Well, I emerge from a month of serious lock-out, insane hours to hit deadlines and.........time to start mix.

I have been on a mamoth quest to purchase an API 2500 (2-buss) but after three weeks of beging, pleading, wanting to throw money
at the company, API could not get their act together to get a unit to me in time for this project. I was let down in so many ways that it does not bare listing.

I LOVE the sound of API stuff but have had real bad luck with the relliabilty of the equipment. I will soon be on my third 4 channel mic pre! The first arrived not working at all. The second had two channels fail after 6 months. What can I say other than the guys over there do not really give a stuff since the place is run by acountants. The designers etc are passionate but have no teeth to make decisions. Pitty.

That is me off my frustrated soap box.

So, Smart compressor C2 was the other option. Any valued insight
you could help me with. I have to buy blind as there are no dealers in South Africa.

Always appreciate the insight offered here. Thans so much

Nik
Old 24th July 2002
Here for the gear

First, I'd say deal with BRENT AVERILL if you want api stuff. He and his staff are brilliant. Old API stuff is built like a tank.

Second, you can't go wrong with the C2. You can buy one directly from the U.K. Shop around.

dfegad fuuck
Old 25th July 2002
One with big hooves

Brent has nothing to do with API. He makes racks that API gear fits into and refurbs old 312 preamps. API is API and Brent is Brent.
Old 26th July 2002
Lives for gear

I have a 2500 and have been extremely pleased with it. It has quite a few different colors and you need to ply with it for a bit to really explore all the possibilities. I've used it across the stereo bus mostly and the thrust circuit acts like audio super glue for the bottom. I mostly use the "old" style (feedback), it is much more transparent for me. If you use it with the full thrust mode make sure you tame down the sibilance in the vocals or it can pump a good bit. It's best used when building the mix. If you patch it after you've started the mix, it can call for adjustments.

Email Paul Wolff if you need a unit to try first. If the local rep has one available, you're probably gonna get a demo. The only problem is that you won't want to give it back.

heh
Old 26th July 2002
Gear Nut

Thanks for the info..

Looks like I will get one later. I had to order a C2 as API could not get their act together to get me a unit in time. Three weeks I waited. Gave up in the end. Have spoken to Paul Wolff etc. All nice guys but it was the admin guys who screwed up. Could not wait any longer. The deadline for the mixes is cast in Stone.

Glad you like the unit. I will pick one up later in the year.

Nik
Old 2nd November 2003
Here for the gear

2500 facts
The 2500 is designed to make things sound better. Three big differences between it and the Alan Smart is the Thrust, Variable Linking, and the OLD/NEW modes.

Since these are all on seperate switches, they are resettable for future setups, which makes then usable. The AS is basically an SSL type feed forward compressor with a over-compression mode that goes beyond total limit, with what appears to be a gradual ratio up to that point so it doesn't just come on.

The 2500 was designed by me specifically to assist the mixer and while compressing, it makes it not sound compressed. Shelly Yakus, Tom Tucker and Ronald Prent have all said that they can finish a mix in 1/3rd the time and when the 2500 is switched out, it sounds like a completely unfinished mix waiting to be worked on. Most of the other pro users have said the same. Although slightly different in setups, they all pretty much agree that getting hte kick and bass where you want it is key, then switch it in throughout the entire mix.

With the SOFT knee setting, MED thrust and OLD, fast attacks and releases will sound great WITHOUT killing the mix. This is NO ****. Try it like you are trying to show how bad a compressor can sound, fast in fast out 10:1 ratio, etc. You will be shocked.

The theory behind the THRUST is very simple. If you look at a music signal on a scope, you will see all low end and little bits of high end travelling on the huge low waveform. BUT, this is not what you hear. If you listen to the music, it all sounds even. The THRUST filter is before the RMS detector and in the LOUD mode, it is the inverse of the pink noise curve, 3 dB/oct. This transforms the signal going into the RMS detector into what is called an EQUAL ENERGY PER OCTAVE signal instead of the tilted low end heavy singal. The MED setting is like the full LOUD one, but has a flat area in the middle frequencies. The Distressor has a high pass filter setting that is very similar and that is why so many people like both. This THRUST filter is what makes the PARAGON II consoles sound so good, as they hads a patent on it for 10 years.

So, if you want something that will make your mix sound like a record, get the 2500. I have even run older mixes that I have done that I was never happy with and the 2500 seems like it remixes them.

Turn it up, set it like you hate the mix and what you hear will not sound like the settings.
Old 3rd November 2003
Lives for gear

Hi Paul, good to see you here !
One question: Are the sidechains on the 2500 supposed to work ? On mine, they do absoluteley nothing. And there's no word about them in the manual...

I really like the sound of the 2500, it's something special, I have it most of he time on my 2 bus, soft norm and old style, feeding an STC 8. There's a nice effect, when you boost the gain on the API to drive the STC a lil bit more.
Sounds killer !!!
Thrust sounds very fat on drums, but I wish, there would be a possibility, to throw only a low pass filter in it, cause you gain punch, but always loose highs . Thats why I wanted to use the sidechains.

Cheers, kosi
Old 6th November 2003
Gear Addict

I've got a 2500 in stock, just waiting to become yours :-)

But I also have another thing that will BLOW YOU AWAY, check out (http://www.proaudiodesign.com/produc...?ItemID=P29816)

And then, of course, there is the new SSL XLogic G-Series Comp. (http://www.proaudiodesign.com/produc...?ItemID=P29806)

If you're interested, let me know! I'd love to get you the right comp for your needs.

[email protected]
Old 6th November 2003
Lives for gear

grudge grudge grudge

dude... please lay off the spamming, its just not a good vibe.

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 6th November 2003
Gear Maniac

my .02

I am in love with this box.

As mentioned previously, it seems to be one of those things that it is indeed best to setup your mix through. I have turned it off after setting up mixes, just to see where everything sits...seems like my mixes suck. (I would venture to say that a good clean EQ pre-compressor would make this thing push even better).

The amount of features is astounding, and the feedback-feedforward types make it a much better 2-bus compressor than anything else that I have used. The ballsy circuitry gives everything an "out front" feel...awesome for hiphop and rock **** (although maybe not for really commercial RnB stuff...). I stand by this design entirely. I am using it with a Neotek console. Very clean Pre's, this makes an incredible addition to my setup.

Best cash spent in a good long while.

Rob.
Old 7th November 2003
Lives for gear

I've just done a few live gigs with the 2500 on the mains.

Oh My God!! I'll never mix live without it!

Old 22nd December 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by kosi
Hi Paul, good to see you here !
One question: Are the sidechains on the 2500 supposed to work ? On mine, they do absoluteley nothing. And there's no word about them in the manual...

I really like the sound of the 2500, it's something special, I have it most of he time on my 2 bus, soft norm and old style, feeding an STC 8. There's a nice effect, when you boost the gain on the API to drive the STC a lil bit more.
Sounds killer !!!
Thrust sounds very fat on drums, but I wish, there would be a possibility, to throw only a low pass filter in it, cause you gain punch, but always loose highs . Thats why I wanted to use the sidechains.

Cheers, kosi
I know this is years later, but the side chain does nothing if you are in the old mode because it is not possible the way the detector works, but the THRUST settings will massify that.

It is the best thing I have ever done. I only listened to Shelly Yakus when I designed it. Did the rest in secret. He had a very good view on mix compressing for making hits and money.

from E-CUE

My 2 cents on the API...

Killer on a drums bus. Killer on a lead vocal bus. Killer on a BG vocal bus. Sucked (very, very sadly) on stereo bus... I spent at least 2 hours thinking "I must be doing something wrong", but I just couldn't get it to sound good on the SB... Disapoointing only on the streo bus thus far...

Side note: Scotch thread? I'm there.....

E-cue

Call me the next time you use it on the 2 bus. I have never heard anyone ever say that before. It's all over the radio now days. It can be found in most of the biggest, most popular remote trucks on the 2bus, as well as in control rooms.

Try this setting:

thresh around -4
attack- adjust for the snare snap amount
ratio- 10 to 1 YES
release- 11 oclock
Thrust- LOUD or MED
Knee-SOFT
OLD mode
Link- 70%

Auto gain makeup switch in the OUT position

Don't be afraid to push it hard. Don't pussy out with 3 or 4 dB of compression.

This works for anything that is up tempo. Not for classical

If that doesn't kick your ass, maybe Muzak would be a better choice...

Wait until you see what I will be coming out with in this department soon...
Old 22nd December 2004
Lives for gear

Paul, if you're watching this thread, this is a bit O/T but I've been looking for info about the 525 stereo link in the lunchbox. Is there a trace that shorts the stereo link or something?

Also, I'd like to get another couple of channels of API compression...is the 225 is another flavor or is it similar? Anyone care to give the "in a nutshell" comparison of the API compressor line?

Thanks

EDIT: Paul, will you be considering a standalone rack-mount compressor for studios that haven't adopted the Tonelux system yet?

Thanksagain

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search