The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 2500 Consoles
Old 22nd December 2004
Lives for gear

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ToneLux
[B]I know this is years later, but the side chain does nothing if you are in the old mode because it is not possible the way the detector works, but the THRUST settings will massify that.

All right, the Sidechain works like a charm in the NEW mode ! Thanks, Paul

Happy Xmas
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wolff View Post
2500 facts
The 2500 is designed to make things sound better. Three big differences between it and the Alan Smart is the Thrust, Variable Linking, and the OLD/NEW modes.

Since these are all on seperate switches, they are resettable for future setups, which makes then usable. The AS is basically an SSL type feed forward compressor with a over-compression mode that goes beyond total limit, with what appears to be a gradual ratio up to that point so it doesn't just come on.

The 2500 was designed by me specifically to assist the mixer and while compressing, it makes it not sound compressed. Shelly Yakus, Tom Tucker and Ronald Prent have all said that they can finish a mix in 1/3rd the time and when the 2500 is switched out, it sounds like a completely unfinished mix waiting to be worked on. Most of the other pro users have said the same. Although slightly different in setups, they all pretty much agree that getting hte kick and bass where you want it is key, then switch it in throughout the entire mix.

With the SOFT knee setting, MED thrust and OLD, fast attacks and releases will sound great WITHOUT killing the mix. This is NO ****. Try it like you are trying to show how bad a compressor can sound, fast in fast out 10:1 ratio, etc. You will be shocked.

The theory behind the THRUST is very simple. If you look at a music signal on a scope, you will see all low end and little bits of high end travelling on the huge low waveform. BUT, this is not what you hear. If you listen to the music, it all sounds even. The THRUST filter is before the RMS detector and in the LOUD mode, it is the inverse of the pink noise curve, 3 dB/oct. This transforms the signal going into the RMS detector into what is called an EQUAL ENERGY PER OCTAVE signal instead of the tilted low end heavy singal. The MED setting is like the full LOUD one, but has a flat area in the middle frequencies. The Distressor has a high pass filter setting that is very similar and that is why so many people like both. This THRUST filter is what makes the PARAGON II consoles sound so good, as they hads a patent on it for 10 years.

So, if you want something that will make your mix sound like a record, get the 2500. I have even run older mixes that I have done that I was never happy with and the 2500 seems like it remixes them.

Turn it up, set it like you hate the mix and what you hear will not sound like the settings.
This very old post is one of my favorites ever, on GearSlutz.
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

mining for gs gems... +1
Old 4th October 2012
Lives for gear

Is this piece of outboard gear common in studios (10 years after)?
(I really like the waves plugin :troll
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneLux View Post
I know this is years later, but the side chain does nothing if you are in the old mode because it is not possible the way the detector works, but the THRUST settings will massify that.

It is the best thing I have ever done. I only listened to Shelly Yakus when I designed it. Did the rest in secret. He had a very good view on mix compressing for making hits and money.

from E-CUE

My 2 cents on the API...

Killer on a drums bus. Killer on a lead vocal bus. Killer on a BG vocal bus. Sucked (very, very sadly) on stereo bus... I spent at least 2 hours thinking "I must be doing something wrong", but I just couldn't get it to sound good on the SB... Disapoointing only on the streo bus thus far...

Side note: Scotch thread? I'm there.....

E-cue

Call me the next time you use it on the 2 bus. I have never heard anyone ever say that before. It's all over the radio now days. It can be found in most of the biggest, most popular remote trucks on the 2bus, as well as in control rooms.

Try this setting:

thresh around -4
attack- adjust for the snare snap amount
ratio- 10 to 1 YES
release- 11 oclock
Thrust- LOUD or MED
Knee-SOFT
OLD mode
Link- 70%

Auto gain makeup switch in the OUT position

Don't be afraid to push it hard. Don't pussy out with 3 or 4 dB of compression.

This works for anything that is up tempo. Not for classical
late reply but.......awesome settings that one for the 2500 but why set the link at 70% and not 100%? Also why not engage the gain make up knob where some of the 2500 magic lies?
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear

70% for the stereo field, auto gain for less character, more transparent?

Any tips for mid-tempo stuff?
Old 2nd April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ton splash View Post
70% for the stereo field, auto gain for less character, more transparent?

Any tips for mid-tempo stuff?
I use the Paul Wolff settings tip for uptempo harder rocking tunes. It really does make it sound like a record.

For softer, mid tempo tunes his tip squashes the mix too much for me. Even if I lesson the threshold. So, I use smaller ratios and adjust the attacks and releases to taste. How much compression depends on the tune, but often I adjust the threshold so that the needle is barely bouncing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search