The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
500 series - chassis and PSUs 500 Series Chassis
Old 17th March 2019
Here for the gear

Hello folks,
I wonder if someone has tested the black lion pbr8 ?
I’m planning on upgrading my rack (a bento 6s) for the pbr8. It has some Nice features like thé integrated patchbay and thé psu is from heritage audio
Old 18th March 2019
Just to add my small experience, I have 2 A-Designs 500 HR.
One is in use since long time, loaded with a Five Fish MX5 (sadly no longer in production) and a Warm Audio WA12... not a single problem.
the other one arrived few days ago, I'm waiting for two MPQ568C MK2 from Bart HRK to arrive and I will load it with those, both have two colour modules.
Will let you know how it goes, but I'm pretty confident I will not have issues.
Old 18th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRain View Post
Just to add my small experience, I have 2 A-Designs 500 HR.
One is in use since long time, loaded with a Five Fish MX5 (sadly no longer in production) and a Warm Audio WA12... not a single problem.
the other one arrived few days ago, I'm waiting for two MPQ568C MK2 from Bart HRK to arrive and I will load it with those, both have two colour modules.
Will let you know how it goes, but I'm pretty confident I will not have issues.
This thread isn't really about racks 'having issues' per se. Most of them will 'work' without issues. The discussion is about the difference in sound quality when comparing one rack with the same modules in against another with the same modules. There IS a noticeable difference between racks/PSUs.
Old 18th March 2019
the starter, in the very first post wrote:
"What about PSUs and noise and quality - do PSUs affect the amount of noise that each module has? Do they affect the quality of each module? What if you run multiple modules at once?"
I think this is about noise issues caused by (probably) the PSU.

Last edited by PaulRain; 18th March 2019 at 06:12 PM..
Old 19th March 2019
Gear Head

Does anyone have experience with the DIYRE PR502?

PR502 2-Slot 500-Series Chassis Kit – DIY Recording Equipment

I assume the external psu results in better noise performance than the Bento 2 and 500HR.

Indeed, the psu bears Brad's logo... a seal of approval?

Old 19th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coso View Post

interesting.. would love to hear from Brad..

Although I have to say that that the "feed" on the back is not a very practical/clever idea.. when mountd is basically unreachable..

Cheu
Old 19th March 2019
to me even the on off switch in the back is a bad position, if it is mounted in the rack is a nightmare to turn on, and I like to turn off things I don't need because it is a pointless waste of energy.
Old 19th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRain View Post
to me even the on off switch in the back is a bad position, if it is mounted in the rack is a nightmare to turn on, and I like to turn off things I don't need because it is a pointless waste of energy.
although I kinda agree, this is much less of an isue though, you could always connect it to a powerstrip and solve your issue.

Cheu
Old 19th March 2019
Lives for gear

I don't think there's any issue with the power feed through cable being on the back, so what? Either A) you're installing two or more racks and you connect the Feed when you're installing them (no extra work), or B) you're adding a second rack, and if it was another manufacturer you'd have to deal with the power cable being in the back of the rack anyway, AND tie up another outlet. So there's not really an issue, and seems like a nice feature to be able to power multiple units from just one plug. That's become more and more important me, and part of why I like 500 series stuff to begin with.
Old 19th March 2019
Lives for gear

The "feed" is a switch that allows you to feed the output of slot 1 into the input of slot 2 without any patching/cables. Very convenient, except... if in a rack, since the switch is on the back of the chassis.

Not a feature unique to this chassis, but the placement on the back might be.
Old 19th March 2019
m03
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
The "feed" is a switch that allows you to feed the output of slot 1 into the input of slot 2 without any patching/cables. Very convenient, except... if in a rack, since the switch is on the back of the chassis.

Maybe they put it on the back to discourage hot-switching the feed.
Old 19th March 2019
Gear Maniac

I own two EL500, and the feed switch on the front is very useful ... in my case, it allows easy shifting from recording scenario to two buss scenario ...
Old 19th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yes, exactly
My R52 has it in the front, where it should be

Cheu
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by m03 View Post
Maybe they put it on the back to discourage hot-switching the feed.
Perhaps. But I would think the vast majority of engineers would be competent enough to know what to do with switches of the sort. It's kind of like putting 48v switches on the back of a preamp to "protect" dynamic mics... which I've also seen.

Thankfully, there are plenty of choices in both scenarios where vital/complementary controls are all up front.
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Oh I gotcha now, my bad. I thought we were discussing the power "feeding" through to power a second unit. Didn't even notice the "Feed" button on the back, that of course feeds Channel 1 into Channel 2. Got it now, carry on, carry on...

I have no clue what, if any, input Brad had on this particular unit, other than his logo appearing on the SMPS, but I do remember reading over in the LTL Silver Bullet thread that from a design philosophy standpoint he doesn't like power switches on the front. So might just be one of those things. I have an Avedis R52 as well, and it's a tank but rather ugly on the front with the power switch, toggle switch, LEDs, the modules not being centered, and lots of words and branding, vs. the totally blank minimalist front of the PR502. Horses for courses I guess, room for both approaches.
Old 3rd April 2019
Here for the gear

Just added a handle to Heritage OST4

For those who have the Heritage OST4 and wished for a handle, it is very easy to install one by yourself. All you need is a $5 4.5” drawer handle from Homedepot and drilling two holes on the top panel. There are tons of styles to choose from. Here is some pictures of mine.

I aslo installed 4 quarter inch thick isolation pads, so that it can sit on the back to install and unload modules.
Attached Thumbnails
500 series - chassis and PSUs-cdb1068e-bd1b-42ed-bf27-78131822a48b.jpg   500 series - chassis and PSUs-a13e9970-7895-4d5d-8199-f743af030ef0.jpg  

Last edited by cinstance; 3rd April 2019 at 11:58 PM.. Reason: typi
Old 4th April 2019
Here for the gear

Hi,

Can you please help me know what does the earthing arrangements mean in a 500 chassis? And does Bent 2 has the same arrangement as api 500 6? I just bought bento 2 for ams neve 1073. Neve manual says unit need to be adjusted if housing in non api lunchbox with different earthing arrangement. I can't find sufficient literature about it. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinstance View Post
For those who have the Heritage OST4 and wished for a handle, it is very easy to install one by yourself. All you need is a $5 4.5” drawer handle from Homedepot and drilling two holes on the top panel. There are tons of styles to choose from. Here is some pictures of mine.

I aslo installed 4 quarter inch thick isolation pads, so that it can sit on the back to install and unload modules.
Nice! I like those modssss!
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinstance View Post
drilling two holes on the top panel.
I assume no modules were harmed in the process?
Old 4th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
I assume no modules were harmed in the process?
The one piece top/side cover can be easily taken off to drill the holes. It is fixed to the chassis by screws only. Flip it over and sit it flat. The panel is not thick, and drilling two holes took less than 10 minutes.
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Does anyone have experience with the DIYRE PR502?

PR502 2-Slot 500-Series Chassis Kit – DIY Recording Equipment

I assume the external psu results in better noise performance than the Bento 2 and 500HR.

So no-one has encountered this box? Any users or insight?

External psu seems significant, I may have to give it a whirl.

Old 7th April 2019
Lives for gear
So is there any consensus on whether the Heritage OST 6 is the best performing lunchbox in the lower price range with 6 or more slots?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
So no-one has encountered this box? Any users or insight?

External psu seems significant, I may have to give it a whirl.

RE: the DIYRE PR502...

I was considering this too as a low-cost intro into the 500 world. Here is why I think I am shying away from it...

1) It's not cost-effective. For four slots it will be about $360, for six slots $520. (200 for the first one with power supply, 160 for 2nd with link cable - add more money on top of that if you want rack ears.) The Heritage OST-4 is only $299 and the OST-6 is only $499. You could do even better if you OK with getting a Bento or Midas.

2) I don't know if I could get along with 500 modules being mounted horizontally instead of vertically. I guess I could get used to it but it just seems wonky to me.

I think I will patiently wait for a used Heritage to pop up.

This thread has been extremely helpful to me in my quest to figure out what I want to do.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsbb View Post
RE: the DIYRE PR502...

I was considering this too as a low-cost intro into the 500 world. Here is why I think I am shying away from it...

1) It's not cost-effective. For four slots it will be about $360, for six slots $520. (200 for the first one with power supply, 160 for 2nd with link cable - add more money on top of that if you want rack ears.) The Heritage OST-4 is only $299 and the OST-6 is only $499. You could do even better if you OK with getting a Bento or Midas.

2) I don't know if I could get along with 500 modules being mounted horizontally instead of vertically. I guess I could get used to it but it just seems wonky to me.

I think I will patiently wait for a used Heritage to pop up.

This thread has been extremely helpful to me in my quest to figure out what I want to do.
The ost4 seems like the best and most cost effective intro. I also don’t dig horizontal mount for 500 series, unless the labeling is printed as such.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search