The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Difference in Modern API 550A and Vintage 550A Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Difference in Modern API 550A and Vintage 550A

Just curious! I think they both sound pretty good, but I have some vintage 550s, which to be sounds better than the 550A vintage or reissue.

Im wondering how to achieve this with the modern eq's. I know there are obviously more frequency options, but does it really just boil down to op amps or are there differences in the curves, gain etc ?
Old 14th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburg58 View Post
Just curious! I think they both sound pretty good, but I have some vintage 550s, which to be sounds better than the 550A vintage or reissue.

Im wondering how to achieve this with the modern eq's. I know there are obviously more frequency options, but does it really just boil down to op amps or are there differences in the curves, gain etc ?
the only modern 550 Ive heard that sounds like my 70's 550's are the new Capi BT50's.they're sort of a cross btw a vintage 550 and 550a.[you have to use the litz red transformers and red dot op amps].
yeah they stomp the newer pcb API 550a's with the extra freq's...and theyre about 400 bucks cheaper than the API reissues.
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

API 550a re-issue

the re-issue 550a is a DIFFERENT animal.
balanced input with a cheap ic op-amp.
was discussed in another thread.

API should re-name what they are selling the 550x, 550c-1-z or some other lame designation, it surely isn't an honest 550a.

both of you know McCurry, he can fill you in.
Old 14th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathode View Post

API should re-name what they are selling the 550x, 550c-1-z or some other lame designation, it surely isn't an honest 550a.

both of you know McCurry, he can fill you in.
and cut a "New 2520" open..SMT.
Ive had numerous "new" 2520's fail.got a pile of them from a 1608.[all og and red dots now]
the old huntingtons are still solid,after 40 years
Old 16th June 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathode View Post
I believe that the input is balanced with a discrete 2510 op amp and the ic is being used as a dc servo. I'm not sure why API doesn't make this info clearer on their website.

Surface-mount can be done well and I think having a balanced input solves a lot of problems when the 550a is used outside of a console.
Old 16th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRRec View Post
I believe that the input is balanced with a discrete 2510 op amp and the ic is being used as a dc servo. I'm not sure why API doesn't make this info clearer on their website.

Surface-mount can be done well and I think having a balanced input solves a lot of problems when the 550a is used outside of a console.
I absolutely loath and the sound of the current generation API 2520's.
Hard pointy and slight upper mid hash.. compared to 70's era Huntingtons.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search