The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Subwoofer recommendation
Old 7th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Subwoofer recommendation

I have a 18m. room treated with panels, bass traps and clouds, and a couple of Neumann KH310.

I want to add a subwoofer in order to relieve some bass content from the nearfields, and improve my control of the bottom end. The obvious choice is Neumann current offering (KH805), but i would like to know about other good options,

also important to comment, that I have in my mind to change to smaller nearfields in the near future (considering atc, smc, amphion, ...), as i feel that the KH310 are a little too much for my 18m room, so i would like the sub to play along well with the new nearfields.

Any insight will be really helpful and appreciated!
Old 8th June 2017
Here for the gear

Focal CMS 11" sub. I went through 3 subs before this and have been extremely happy with the results from the CMS. Extremely accurate.
Old 8th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Thank you! I had not considered focal so far, I will check their offerings.

By now I am leaning towards Quested SB10R - I like that they left the amp out of the box and I heard that they are very accurate. If anyone has this sub, it would be great to know about your impressions.
Old 12th June 2017
I'd say that 80% of the sub is integration, which is why in my opinion they get so much bad rep in pro circles. I don't think that Quested will lack in any regard as long as you're able to set it up properly.

For proper integration you should be able to measure the impulse response of your system, implement precise EQ and timing adjustments. Short of purpose building a room there aren't any real measures to treat sub-bass. Make sure don't have any nulls and shear peaks off with EQ.
Old 12th June 2017
Lives for gear

Very much in agreement about the importance of proper setup with a sub. The finest unit possible will sound wrong without it.
Having said that, I'd strongly suggest you take a look at the JL Audio subs. They have consistently been among the best I've heard when properly integrated. Extended bottom, smooth response and very difficult to detect the crossover from your mains.
Old 12th June 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedxSherb View Post
Focal CMS 11" sub. I went through 3 subs before this and have been extremely happy with the results from the CMS. Extremely accurate.
I have a Focal CMS to round out my Focal CMS6.5's. Very happy with this setup.

Agree with others... the setup is critical. My room is less than optimal, so my sub is only providing 'light' support rather than thumping lows.

Unfortunately, Focal CMS's were discountinued last year. You'll have to identify NOS or used if you want a copy.
Old 17th June 2017
Lives for gear

It's hard to beat HSU research in this space

Subwoofers Comparison
Old 17th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrodulf View Post
I'd say that 80% of the sub is integration...
Agree very much
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

If it's a sub I want then it will either be an ATC or Genelec.
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post
If it's a sub I want then it will either be an ATC or Genelec.
Agree that these are seriously good subs but price wise they seem excessive
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

My mastering engineer has 2- 15" Rythmik servo's, they're great, super tight no fat or bloat with these but they were custom built. Has them time aligned below a pair of K&H 410's. He records mostly organ music so wants the extended bottom end. Otherwise the Neumann woofer might be the best choice.
Old 20th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Excellent advice, I will def check the brands you pointed - as the Quested sub I am leaning to is actually very expensive.

My room is treated and adjusted with the help of an acoustic engineer, so far I have a pretty flat curve, but two dips (70 and 150hz), and not so linear below 70. I believe the dip at my listening spot comes both from the axial sum/cancelation of my monitors (nowadays a pair of KH310A), and maybe reflection <80 from the not-enough-treated corners (my corner traps have me covered only until 80hz or so)... I plan to use some thicker bass traps at the front wall's corners (which are supposed to absorb 50% of the energy at 20hz - hard to believe, but i expect them to be better and absorb deeper than what i have now... ), and finally adjust carefully the subwoofer with a measurement mic + noise and analyzer... no problem if it takes me days, or if I have to call the acoustic engineer again if necessary.

My idea is to crossover around 80hz, and see if that gets rid of the dips, besides relieving the monitors from the sub load - better midrange clarity - and also give me more accuracy at the sub area thanks to the new subwoofer. No doubt i will aim for a top level unit for this.

Thank you very much for your excellent advice and suggestions. HSU Research and Rhythmik Audio look very good...

Last edited by blueNan; 20th June 2017 at 10:58 PM..
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

I love REL
Old 21st June 2017
7+1
Lives for gear

i've been using the Genelec 7360A 10 with my ATC45s when I do Trailer Mixes. Ive been very happy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search