The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which modern Neve? Consoles
Old 7th June 2017
Gear Nut

Which modern Neve?

If I was somebody who´s worked on a 70´s Neve for the past 25 years but can no longer tolerate the constant jogging, sparking, faulting, breaking downing- which modern Neve should I be looking at?
Eyes are drawn to the 5088 and The Genesys Black but are there other models anyone would like to recommend?

This imaginary console should be at least 24 in with pre´s and eq´s.
Transformers should be a big deal, in this here my fantasy.
Integration with PT or whatever should be along the same lines as for example
SSL AWS.

Does this Neve console exist ?

Last edited by xlon; 7th June 2017 at 02:50 PM..
Old 7th June 2017
Lives for gear

This might be another option to look at.

News | Custom Series 75 | powered by Neve
Old 7th June 2017
Gear Nut

thanks, have you worked on it?
Old 7th June 2017
Lives for gear

No, not this one. I've worked on an 80 series and currently have an 82 series, but I'll be looking for a new console soon and this one's on my short list.
Here's another video that caught my attention. Not because of the mics being tested, but because it was recorded through the 75.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnrXFC5Pyhs
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear

88RS or a 9000k - - serious competition
Old 9th June 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlon View Post
If I was somebody who´s worked on a 70´s Neve for the past 25 years but can no longer tolerate the constant jogging, sparking, faulting, breaking downing- which modern Neve should I be looking at?
Eyes are drawn to the 5088 and The Genesys Black but are there other models anyone would like to recommend?

This imaginary console should be at least 24 in with pre´s and eq´s.
Transformers should be a big deal, in this here my fantasy.
Integration with PT or whatever should be along the same lines as for example
SSL AWS.

Does this Neve console exist ?
I have the "vanilla" genesys and it is a MARVEL of routing, flexibility, I/O and best of all SOUND. I've got the 1073 version with console dynamics and EQ and we LOVE THE SOUND and maintenance has been a dream. Almost a year in use 7 days a week and not one issue. I have struggled to get the DAW control working but that is more user error than a fault of the console. Something the Genesys Black doesn't have to worry about. Happy hunting but I don't see the downside of getting a fully kitted Genesys Black.
Old 10th June 2017
Gear Nut

Great to hear chanepic!
How many pre's do you have on yours?
Old 10th June 2017
Gear Addict

The 5088 is a Tank.

The amount of information this beast can transport is astounding.

It can take a beating and the sound is stunning

I could be wrong but when I recorded on an old 8068 at Acme Recording I remember it having similar heft like the 5088 but the 5088 has the extended bandwidth and headroom but less creamy.
Old 10th June 2017
Here for the gear

We recently bought a Neve Genesys G48, with 24 1073 pres, 16 88RS EQ and 8 1084 EQs. So far it has been a great pleasure to use, and we are really happy with the console, sound and feature wise. It's everything we dreamt of, and more. Still regret not having bought dynamics the first time around - but its easy to add. As you can see from the picture, we set up the desk in a Genesys Black-ish setup but with a classic Genesys. The reasons where:

1. I did not see the need for the additional 16 faders for control. Since Neve (and everyone else apparently) are using HUI, you will not get more than 32 faders in PT anyway.

2. I like to use onboard automation instead of running it from PT (a bit old school - I agree). And with Genesys Black, Encore is and addon.

3. The black version is quite a bit more expensive. I used the extra cash to get more channels.

I have also found out you are able to use HUI alongside Eucon - So I added a Pro Tools Dock in the center to take care of plugin control. Works great!

Feel free to check out my homepage for more pictures. We are currently expanding greatly - and we will have a much larger recording room soon (130m2 with 7 m ceiling). And since the desk is expandable we feel it's just perfect for us.

(I ran another recording studio in Oslo until recently - Parachute Studio - where we had an AWS 900+SE - so I do have some experience in this type of hybrid setups).

Best,

André Viervoll
Producer/Studio Manager
Newtone Studio
Oslo, Norway
www.newtone.no
Attached Thumbnails
Which modern Neve?-newtone_control_room_a_05.jpg  
Old 12th June 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlon View Post
Great to hear chanepic!
How many pre's do you have on yours?
16. FOR NOW LOL. I will be adding channels no doubt.
Old 14th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo4u View Post
This might be another option to look at.

News | Custom Series 75 | powered by Neve
I used one the other day - not on anything significant, just a couple of channels on a tracking session.

Loved the sound of the channels; it's got some quirks, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to service under the hood - routing is digitally controlled.

Compared to a vintage neve the controls are quite small and fiddly, maybe not quite as solid feeling? but no more fiddly than any current LFAC.
Old 14th June 2017
I am a huge fan of the Rupert 5088 console especially since they now offer the Swift Mix automation option. This helps bring the console to 2017 with working with a DAW. I know some prefer the Shelford design modules which is closer to his older designs in sound . However with recently getting a deeper appreciation of the modern sounding SSL 9000 effects, I now much prefer Ruperts modules of the Portico line that helped keep his sound moving forward and not looking back.
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
I am a huge fan of the Rupert 5088 console especially since they now offer the Swift Mix automation option. This helps bring the console to 2017 with working with a DAW. I know some prefer the Shelford design modules which is closer to his older designs in sound . However with recently getting a deeper appreciation of the modern sounding SSL 9000 effects, I now much prefer Ruperts modules of the Portico line that helped keep his sound moving forward and not looking back.
Agreed.

The routing and build quality of the 5088 are additional reasons to recommend it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search