The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kef ls50w..? Studio Monitors
Old 7th June 2017
Lives for gear

Kef ls50w..?

If this is not considered high end, please move. They don`t seem low end. Anyways, these keep popping up..Mix Magazine, etc. I`ve been using digital monitors for years, and I`m quite used to them. I mix with 2 sets of monitors. Unflattering Mixcubes and LSR4328`s. So it`s not unnatural for me to make a jump to these. They seem kinda caught in the middle of mixing speakers, and hifi listening setups. I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with these, and might I like them, knowing what I have. This guys review, albeit for hifi, is pretty darn convincing.

-He`s totally right about the Isoacoustics, I have some.

Old 7th June 2017
Lives for gear

I have the passives and love them. Amazing quality and soundstage, it's hard to believe the sound is coming from such small speakers.
Though I only use them as a secondary reference, my mains are ATC SCM20's, which are hard to beat for mixing.
Though for listening pleasure, I always choose the LS50's. Everything sounds great on them, so I'm not sure if they are ideal as primary monitors.
Haven't heard the actives, but all reports are that they are even better.
I'd highly recommend a demo if you can.
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
I have the passives and love them. Amazing quality and soundstage, it's hard to believe the sound is coming from such small speakers.
Though I only use them as a secondary reference, my mains are ATC SCM20's, which are hard to beat for mixing.
Though for listening pleasure, I always choose the LS50's. Everything sounds great on them, so I'm not sure if they are ideal as primary monitors.
Haven't heard the actives, but all reports are that they are even better.
I'd highly recommend a demo if you can.
Thank you! Seriously considering a pair if they are everything I`ve heard about!
Old 10th June 2017
This caught my attention then... Any other comments? If, like they say, "everything sound great on them" - this will work for me, I do composing mostly and casual listening.
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKM View Post
This caught my attention then... Any other comments? If, like they say, "everything sound great on them" - this will work for me, I do composing mostly and casual listening.
I don`t know man! The guys comments in the youtube video are really convincing! But I don`t want it to sound TOO realistic, you know? The LSR4328`s I have a really realistic sound too. So much so I got the Mixcubes. I think this is a good step up. I typically make "compositional pop", like Sarah McLaughlin, using orchestral background.

-Wow, you are insane on the piano..holy..
Old 10th June 2017
Also curious, since they are digital, what is the latency?
Old 10th June 2017
Yes, these are great little speakers

Heard the passives on a nice OTL tube amp, pretty impressive for such a small speaker !
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here is an in depth review of the new active version.
The reviewer runs an audio forum that I spend a bit of time on, and really knows his stuff.

KEF LS50 Wireless Exclusive Australian Review | StereoNET
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also curious, since they are digital, what is the latency?
No latency. Shouldn`t be. I have my speakers hooked up digital via coax, no latency. Speed of light? Could be wrong on that.
Old 10th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic View Post
No latency. Shouldn`t be. I have my speakers hooked up digital via coax, no latency. Speed of light? Could be wrong on that.
Yes, exactly, there is no such thing as "no latency".

ADDED: I mean if it is somewhat about 1ms then it is great for me.
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, exactly, there is no such thing as "no latency".
Well, none noticeable, but I have different speakers. Still blown away at your skills. Wow, man.
Old 10th June 2017
Good modern DA is < 1ms these days, though the wireless might add some extra latency.

I guess the specs should be on the KEF website, if not I would just send them an email.
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmik Prod. View Post
Good modern DA is < 1ms these days, though the wireless might add some extra latency.

I guess the specs should be on the KEF website, if not I would just send them an email.
I don`t think the "wireless" is what it`s said to be. Sounds same as LSR and the network cable.
Old 10th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmik Prod. View Post

Sure, thanks, will definitely check and do as you say. Just curious if maybe one know the fast answer, is there a chance it will be possible to hook it up directly to the USB and have an ASIO like latency/performance? I definitely doubt it but was tempting to ask.
Old 11th June 2017
Gear Nut
I have a pair, in my kitchen actually. I think they are a hell of a bargain considering you get the whole system and I don't see why they couldn't be fed USB right from your computer DAW or whatever. They are beautifully built and have worked flawlessly for me. I connect to them mostly via bluetooth from my iPhone playing TIDAL usually and it's been without issue. I had never really though of these for a studio type speaker but it's actually not a bad idea and considering you are getting a great sounding system including DAC they are a pretty good deal. I'd take them over the Dynaudio BM10 mk 3 which I also own and with those you don't get a DAC, just the amp.
Old 11th June 2017
Gear Addict

They are superb little speakers, we have the active and passive versions here, the 'wireless' are just so convenient, either 'bluetooth' signal to them, or connect directly by USB, or they will play music stored on your wi-Fi network, as well as optical and even an analogue input!
You can properly integrate a subwoofer via the LS50's 'app' .
Tonally and in terms of timbre they are identical, but the active version has boundary filters ,bass and treble boost and cut ,they really are the perfect contemporary loudspeaker.
I would be interested to hear what an engineer makes of them, if anyone around London would like to evaluate them for me just drop me a line.
https://www.puriteaudio.co.uk/single...-Purité-Audio
Keith
Old 11th June 2017
So what if I want to save some cash and will go for the passive version since I don't need the wireless, eq, etc., what amp should I get to make them sound like the active ones at the default settings?
Old 11th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So what if I want to save some cash and will go for the passive version since I don't need the wireless, eq, etc., what amp should I get to make them sound like the active ones at the default settings?
They probably aren't super fussy about the amp, as long as it is decent quality with a bit of power (the actives have a hefty 200W amp for the low/mid driver)

I originally used mine with an old Byston 4B, and they sounded great.
But I sold the 4B as it sounded terrible with my ATC's.
Currently using an Accuphase integrated, which also sounds fantastic.
Old 11th June 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Seems to me it could be hard to find an amp that would be better that would save you money. I highly doubt you can find an amp for 300 or so that is going to sound as good as the amps custom made for the LS50 W. If you already have a nice amp then it's a different story but then you are dealing with speaker cable, interconnects etc... it's hard to beat all that you get with the LS50W.
Old 12th June 2017
This is how my passives measured in a crappy room.

Bass modes should be apparent, especially the asymmetrical back loading. Treble shows a very B&K curve like roll-off. Overall I found them to be very revealing, however stock tonality might be too hi-fi for studio use. All of the problems are nothing a corrective EQ curve can't fix.

I wish they let us configure the Wireless LS50ies through a more robust EQ.
Old 13th June 2017
Here for the gear

Check the expert settings on the app the of the wireless versions.

This looks like a very interesting feature to help with room issues.

https://youtu.be/VsNlDj1Ty5M
Old 11th July 2017
Gear Addict

This is my LS50 passives compared to LS50 active version, both 150cm away from rear wall,
Attached Thumbnails
Kef ls50w..?-img_0912.jpg  
Old 11th July 2017
I'd like to see/hear a comparison with the up-coming JBL LSR 705 at roughly the same price before I bought the KEFs.
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins View Post
I'd like to see/hear a comparison with the up-coming JBL LSR 705 at roughly the same price before I bought the KEFs.
This!!!
LS50W or LSR705P, no one writed about the JBL, and is the only direct competitor (active, dsp, 5 inch woofer and room eq).
Old 17th July 2017
I know JBL's are praised a lot in the reviews but I just can't consider getting one for myself, just the look is so ugly to my taste.
Old 17th July 2017
Quote:
I know JBL's are praised a lot in the reviews but I just can't consider getting one for myself, just the look is so ugly to my taste.
In my books, 'beauty is as beauty does'.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

I would be very interested in hearing a comparison with the JBL as well.

I have heard the KEF's and they sound excellent for a small speaker.

Usually JBL are voiced more midrange-forward, so I wonder if this new JBL series is like that.

Keep sending in the reports.
Old 21st October 2017
Gear Nut

any KEF vs JBL updates?
Old 20th February 2018
Here for the gear

BUMP!

I am looking into a new pair of nearfield monitors and I was pretty dead set on these, until I saw that more than 50% of the positive reviews for the passive LS50's on Amazon are fake!

Fakespot | Mini Monitor High Gloss Piano Black Pair Fake Review Analysis

Why is a high end audio company putting fake reviews up for their product? That's shady behavior IMHO. So now I'm put off.

Anyone know what's up with that?
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Night View Post
BUMP!

I am looking into a new pair of nearfield monitors and I was pretty dead set on these, until I saw that more than 50% of the positive reviews for the passive LS50's on Amazon are fake!

Fakespot | Mini Monitor High Gloss Piano Black Pair Fake Review Analysis

Why is a high end audio company putting fake reviews up for their product? That's shady behavior IMHO. So now I'm put off.

Anyone know what's up with that?
Not sure what’s going on there, but I’d be really surprised if an established company like Kef would post fake reviews.
I tend not to pay too much attention to Amazon reviews, they are often “over the top” positive.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search