The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kef ls50w..? Studio Monitors
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

I have been mixing on the LS50 Passive with an Adcom amp and I am really loving the translation in my room to the outside world. I have NS10's and a set of Dynaudio M1.5 Midfields in my room. I just demo'd the Amphion one15's, ATC 20's along with the barefoot footprint1's and the KEF's won out for me. All the other speakers are amazing but for the price the KEF's worked best in my control room.
Attached Thumbnails
Kef ls50w..?-54015031809__b59bf39f-582e-41e0-9d57-c79294ea381c.jpg  
Old 20th February 2018
LS50's sound pretty great IMO, certainly moreso than their price would indicate. Having said that, I am using Amphions, which I think are a more useful studio tool - still nice to listen to, but not so much that it makes you think you are done before you really are. This would be my concern with the LS50's, much in the same way as some people used to complain about Genelecs. The Amphions lead me in the right direction moreso than any monitor I have ever used.
Old 23rd February 2018
Here for the gear

I need to follow this up, it is the responsible thing to do considering what I discovered.

So, there are TWO fakespot URLs that point to these exact same speakers on Amazon:

Fakespot | Kef Ls50 Mini Monitor High Gloss Piano Black Pair Fake Review Analysis
Fakespot | Kef Ls50 Mini Monitor High Gloss Piano Black Pair Bcf897c1 66ad Fake Review Analysis

Both of these pages link to the SAME product on Amazon, but each showed a different incorrect number of reviews. The TOP link, the one I posted in the original post, had an "F" grade, while the bottom link had a "B" grade.

I e-mailed FakeSpot about this, and they replied with the following:

Quote:
Thank you for your email and for reporting this to us.

We had our development team investigate the issue and have looked into why there is a discrepancy between these analyses, even though seemingly they are for the same product:
  • Amazon has different identification numbers, ASINs, that switch as you change attributes within a page.
  • Attributes can be the color, wattage, etc. You are also in certain cases able to filter reviews by these specific attributes.
  • We have determined that the analysis that resulted in an F grade had an abnormality in the retrieved review data due to Amazon changing aspects of their review system for the selected product attribute.
  • This was a recent change by Amazon however, this situation is also rare specifically related to this product.

Our developers have issued an update for this bug and we hope that we can regain your trust.
Now, both URLs show the correct number of Amazon reviews (120), and the top URL (Fakespot | Kef Ls50 Mini Monitor High Gloss Piano Black Pair Fake Review Analysis) no longer reports an "F", it reports a "B". And the bottom URL (Fakespot | Kef Ls50 Mini Monitor High Gloss Piano Black Pair Bcf897c1 66ad Fake Review Analysis) reports an "A" instead of a "B" now.

:P
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelhead View Post
I have been mixing on the LS50 Passive with an Adcom amp and I am really loving the translation in my room to the outside world. I have NS10's and a set of Dynaudio M1.5 Midfields in my room. I just demo'd the Amphion one15's, ATC 20's along with the barefoot footprint1's and the KEF's won out for me. All the other speakers are amazing but for the price the KEF's worked best in my control room.
How would you describe the sound of the Kefs to the One15? Very curious..
Old 5th March 2018
Lives for gear

I think they are very close. In my studio the LS50 has a little less bass (for me is a good thing) and I mean a little. They still thump. I felt like the Kefs lack detail in the mids by about 5% but Kef told me to change amps and that will come back. They also said to push them with a little more power. I was running them with 150 watt but moving to the 200 watt 4b may be cool. so I will be trying the Bryston 4b this week. All I can say is the mixes I am doing translate really well with the LS50's.
Old 5th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by son of soulohio View Post
any KEF vs JBL updates?
There in a mention of the KEF LS50 in this thread, in the context of the recent JBL 705P/708P review in SOS:
JBL LSR 708i vs Amphion One 18´s vs --what other should be mentioned?---

post #153
Old 5th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic View Post
If this is not considered high end, please move. They don`t seem low end. Anyways, these keep popping up..Mix Magazine, etc. I`ve been using digital monitors for years, and I`m quite used to them. I mix with 2 sets of monitors. Unflattering Mixcubes and LSR4328`s. So it`s not unnatural for me to make a jump to these. They seem kinda caught in the middle of mixing speakers, and hifi listening setups. I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with these, and might I like them, knowing what I have. This guys review, albeit for hifi, is pretty darn convincing.

-He`s totally right about the Isoacoustics, I have some.

I wouldn't take advice on studio monitors from a guy specializing in cameras and who chooses to position his speakers that way.
Old 5th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
How would you describe the sound of the Kefs to the One15? Very curious..
ive had the kef ls50 and amphion one18, the one18 are in another realm of quality.
Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins View Post
I wouldn't take advice on studio monitors from a guy specializing in cameras and who chooses to position his speakers that way.
I get it. I was really interested why that guy loved the same speakers I was taking interest in that had "it all". I`m really fine with my JBL LSR`s for now.
Old 28th March 2018
Lives for gear

Been looking at those LS50's as well. Would love to get them, but I'm trying the cheap route 1st, KEF Q100's. Found them for 270. Will be using a sub with crossover feeding mid/highs to a Rotel RB991 200 watt amp. I am hoping that with that much power and the lows being handled by the sub that this should be a good combo. If not, I will give the LS50's a go. If I didn't already splurge on some Avantone Abbey's I would have ordered the racing red LS50's! With my decor that would be the s&$%!

Anyone try yet what I'm doing?
Old 31st March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Seal View Post
... If I didn't already splurge on some Avantone Abbey's I would have ordered the racing red LS50's! With my decor that would be the s&$%!

how are the avantone abbeys? please tell us
good sir
Old 31st March 2018
Lives for gear

Still working on finalizing placement. If I put my head in the sweet spot they are pretty balanced dynamically and frequency wise together. Nice presentation of soundstage, not exaggerated, but final placement is going to be critical in my 12 x 12 room. It's heavily dampened with OC 703, everywhere.

However, the KEF Q100, MONOPRICE 10" sub combo with crossover is already delivering. I was able to tweak it because they are near fields and the Abbey's are more like midfields. I will be ordering some large isoacoustic stands for them. I will get those next week. So far being able to hear the bottom bloom in my room I can hear where to cut and filter very well. In both set ups actually, KEF combo has a bit more mid bass. Makes for a nice A/B setup.
Old 31st March 2018
Lives for gear

Here is a pic
Attached Thumbnails
Kef ls50w..?-15225129347651496811932.jpg  
Old 28th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Seal View Post
Been looking at those LS50's as well. Would love to get them, but I'm trying the cheap route 1st, KEF Q100's. Found them for 270. Will be using a sub with crossover feeding mid/highs to a Rotel RB991 200 watt amp. I am hoping that with that much power and the lows being handled by the sub that this should be a good combo. If not, I will give the LS50's a go. If I didn't already splurge on some Avantone Abbey's I would have ordered the racing red LS50's! With my decor that would be the s&$%!

I have these KEF Q100's in my library with a sub just for casual listening and I was completely blown away by the clarity and sound space. I have some older Tannoy 6.5 pbm's for nearfields in my studio, which I'm going to upgrade, but I'm tempted to try the KEF's in that role as I think they would do better.
Old 29th May 2018
Lives for gear

@ Goon

I'd try the KEF's since you have them already. They do have an upper midrange presence, but is broad and not peaky. Love them paired with my sub. Makes decisions easier and quicker with them and the Abbey's.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search