The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JBL LSR6332 with bryston 5b vs Adam A5x + adam sub7 Studio Monitors
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage691 View Post

You absolutely MUST Bi-Amp the 6332s !! I use a Bryston 4B on each. The difference is just stunning, and you have to experience it to believe it ! Bi-Amped these are top notch pro level monitors that compete with the best of the best out there.[/I]
I have heard this before and wonder why this would be so.
I believe in the Harmon reference rooms the LSR6332 were not bi-amped.
Another recommendation is VERY short speaker cables with the amps close to each speaker.
I have three LSR32 as my LCR but they are not bi-amped. They sound very good to me, however do fall away below 50hz. My room is roughly 5000 cubic feet and well balanced. I'm considering trying the bi-amped thing.
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I produce pop, rock, hard rock, metal, R n B, hip hop, & film score soundtracks.
Which film score soundtracks if you don't mind me asking?
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
I have heard this before and wonder why this would be so.
I believe in the Harmon reference rooms the LSR6332 were not bi-amped.
Another recommendation is VERY short speaker cables with the amps close to each speaker.
I have three LSR32 as my LCR but they are not bi-amped. They sound very good to me, however do fall away below 50hz. My room is roughly 5000 cubic feet and well balanced. I'm considering trying the bi-amped thing.
As these terms can be confusing, if bi-amping is happening pre-crossover, JBL engineers find it nonsense. Short cables from amp to driver are good, though.
Old 8th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
What makes the M2 "special" is the horn and the compression driver, in conjunction with the software preset. The M2 has one LF driver, not two. The horns are completely different. The compression driver is a dual diaphragm. The only similarity between an M2 and the K2 project speakers is the number 2 in the title. Not even the same thing. Why even bring this up?
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
As these terms can be confusing, if bi-amping is happening pre-crossover, JBL engineers find it nonsense. Short cables from amp to driver are good, though.
The speakers have separate LF and HF connections with a removable strap for bi-amping, which would be pre crossover. If JBL engineers thought that was nonsense why would they design the speakers that way?
Getting the level precisely matched on both amps is one issue I have with my setup as I am using the input trims on the amps to calibrate the level in the room.
My speaker cables are fairly short at around10 feet. The suggestion was more like 2 feet would make a substantial difference which I doubt.
The only way to know if any of this would bring a significant improvement is to try it. This of course involves time and energy and may or may not improve a setup one is already happy with. Is there a technical explanation for why bi-amping would make substantial improvement to these speakers?
Old 8th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
if bi-amping is happening pre-crossover, JBL engineers find it nonsense.
I don't think so.
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The speakers have separate LF and HF connections with a removable strap for bi-amping, which would be pre crossover. If JBL engineers thought that was nonsense why would they design the speakers that way?
Because it was in the product brief from the marketing/corporate-side for most of their speakers after a certain level. I asked this question at their Northridge campus to them. ATC puts multiple terminals on their passive versions but also believe there's nothing to be gained but do it because it is expected/asked for. PMC also does the same thing for the same reason (their "activated" IB1S-AIII is a single channel amp/speaker because it is pre-crossover.)
Try a single amp with the same power (this does have an influence) as the combined power of your two amps against your bi-amp setup.

IIRC Bryston wrote up a webpage on the effect of cable length between amp and speaker and at what point shortening the length has diminishing returns compared to other factors (I think this was in relation to damping factor.)
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Which film score soundtracks if you don't mind me asking?
Sorry, prefer to remain anonymous here
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry, prefer to remain anonymous here
no problem
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Is there a technical explanation for why bi-amping would make substantial improvement to these speakers?
Years back I remember reading countless pages of technical mumbo jumbo online from both the pro and con side of the BiAmping issue. There were those folks who insisted it made no difference at all and that simply using a beefier single amp would do the same. IME they were dead wrong ! Concerning the "short cable" issue, I tried that with 8" cables (with the amps on stands right next to the speakers in the rear) and it was just mumbo jumbo IMO. Simply follow the instructions from JBL and use beefier cabling for longer runs ! Besides, in a proper flush mount in a hard wall where are you going to place those amps with cables less than 12" long ? That advice is just internet "placebo effect" nonsense IME !

Then there were those folks who insisted BiAmping would have no benefit unless an external crossover was used pre speaker. I ended up trusting the opinion of a speaker designer who INSISTED this was wrong and advised folks to simply use the crossover circuitry in the speakers themselves. If it aint broke, don't fix it !

I get very good response below 50Hz. When I run a sine wave I get good healthy signal all the way down to 30Hz and then it starts falling off. It's been awhile, but I believe it goes all the way down to 27Hz before the speakers start not reproduce the wave properly. It might actually be 25Hz, it's been years since I did this !
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear

The LSR 6332 is basically the LSR 32 with extra shielding so it can be placed next to an analog video monitor and not cause picture distorsion. Later they added the room correction stuff. The LSR 32's manual states that the lower rear connector is for the low frequency driver and the upper connector is for the mid and high frequency drivers. When using one amp, you use the metal straps between the connectors. No schematic is included in the manual and you would need to look at that or open up the speaker itself and look but the manual indicates that signal from the two connectors goes to DIFFERENT places on the crossover. See if you can find a schematic of the LSR 6332's crossover or take off the mid / tweeter plate and look inside.

As often the case you probably have to look at each canidate's specific crossover to determine if there are separate points in the circuits that two connectors go to or just one and the two connectors are on the rear of the speaker for marketing purposes.
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
The LSR 6332 is basically the LSR 32 with extra shielding so it can be placed next to an analog video monitor and not cause picture distorsion. Later they added the room correction stuff. The LSR 32's manual states that the lower rear connector is for the low frequency driver and the upper connector is for the mid and high frequency drivers. When using one amp, you use the metal straps between the connectors. No schematic is included in the manual and you would need to look at that or open up the speaker itself and look but the manual indicates that signal from the two connectors goes to DIFFERENT places on the crossover. See if you can find a schematic of the LSR 6332's crossover or take off the mid / tweeter plate and look inside.

As often the case you probably have to look at each canidate's specific crossover to determine if there are separate points in the circuits that two connectors go to or just one and the two connectors are on the rear of the speaker for marketing purposes.
I have a schematic for the LSR32 and the LF and HF crossovers are separate and can use different amps if the strap is removed from the binding posts.
Also the specs are -3 at 54hz and -10 at 35hz so definitely can benefit from some modal support there and or sub.
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear

Old 15th June 2017
Here for the gear

thx a lot to everyone for all comments and help. ended up getting a pair of neumann kh 310 which will arrive tomorrow. will A/B aginst the adam a5x + sub7 combo i have and most probably sell the adams soon.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search