The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Time for a Big 'ol Upgrade...
Old 17th October 2002
Lives for gear

Time for a Big 'ol Upgrade...

Assuming the client actually pays me, I should be getting a chunk-o-cash very soon. I do believe it is upgrade time.

What I got - 3 XT20 adats and a mac 9600/350 (with a G3450 chip).
What I love about what I got - It works. Swear at them all you want, but with regular maintanence the adats work well and I have been able to get some great recordings with them. Computer is lagging but it works. DP3. I lightpipe audio to/from adats to edit.

I do some remote recording, love to take gear and do basics somewhere and bring it back to my studio to finish.

What I want - Reliable, able to take remote, ability to edit, and good sound.

I keep looking at hard disc recorders as tools for those who don't want to deal with computers, but now I'm seeing their worth. Bring one to a gig, plug it in and it works. That is what I like about the adats but I am ready to give them up.

Suggestions, comments, words of advise?

G.A.S. in full effect.

Thanks.
Old 17th October 2002
Gear Nut

RADAR .......

Amund
Old 17th October 2002
Moderator emeritus

Yep - 24 tacks in a box with great converters. And enough price points that you can spend whatever you need to spend...
Old 17th October 2002
member no 666

Even the RADAR "Project" system will be a giant step forward... both funcitonally and sonically.

Best of luck with your search.
Old 17th October 2002
Lives for gear
This isn't exactly what you asked for but an ensoniq paris system would give you 16 24bit converters and a 16 channel fader pack for $2k or so and it very reliable. The alesis 24 track recorder looks good again for 2k or so. The radar would be real nice if you can afford it but that Paris system sound great for 1/3 of the radar and would give you more tracks a fader pack and dsp and the tracks would already be in the Mac for editing, very handy!
Daniel
Old 17th October 2002
If you are doing relatively short files (24 tracks at less than 15 minutes) most any model hard disc recorder from 2002 will serve you well. Yes, Radar is a huge step upwards. So are a lot of others. Do you need 96k capabilty? Do you need advanced editing capability? I personally like the idea of recording to a very stable, stand alone system and then transferring into the DAW for editing and light processing.

I have been extremely happy with my Tascam MX2424 which is a lot like a Radar system (SCSI based rather than IDE based like the Mackie and Alesis units) but with slightly lower quality conversion (although the conversion on the MX blows away the stock Alesis). I've solved the conversion issue with Myteks and Crane Song on the front of the Tascam, which are probably in the best 5% or better of anything, especially for the cost.

If you are recording rock or pop, and don't need long cable remote access to the machine, then I personally would recommend getting a less expensive stand alone unit and super charging it with a Mytek 8x96 on the front end, or if budget will allow a Crane Song Spider which will give you other additional features that you may possibly need such as very high quality preamps, summing, and 'tape sound' DSP.

If you need more than 8 channels of simultaneous A/D that run at 96k capabilty, the Radar is a great choice, but for that option it will cost quite about two times the solution I presented, that being the lower priced IDE based HD recorder with the higher quality A/D as a replacement for it's stock ADC. Good Luck.
Old 17th October 2002
Lives for gear

Thanks for the responses. I did some searching on Radar and it looks like around $11,000 to get into something comfortable. Not even including shoes. I think my budget is about half that, as long as my girlfriend doesn't find out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search