The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony C800g w/ a 7543 or non-Sony 6au6 tube? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 27th May 2017
Here for the gear

Sony C800g w/ a 7543 or non-Sony 6au6 tube?

Hello all,

Anyone who's owned or has extensive experience with a Sony C800g mic able to chime in?

My friend and I bought Sony C800g's about a year and a half ago, his being brand new, and mine 10 years old.

With mine, I've had to switch out the tubes twice, first time myself, and recently by Sony. Both times were with Sony supplied 6au6a tubes from Russia.

Recently, after a long wait for Sony to send my mic back, my friend gets his first sign of a bad tube--The burning campfire noise. He's currently a judge on a big TV show in Korea and really needed this mic to work for his work on the series, so we're trying to rectify this situation as soon as possible. Sending to Sony is not an option, as they take a long time with lack of repair updates (And expensive).

Offering to fix it for him, we've run into a big problem. It is with great misfortune to update all Sony C800g owners that Sony has just stopped manufacturing their 6au6a tubes for this mic, which is beyond me, given that this mic is still sold brand new on many sites. I'm assuming this cuts such an expensive investment's lifetime tremendously.

This is where I'm asking for some input on using different tube brands and tube model numbers. This past week I went on a frantic splurge of stocking up on 'new old stock' 6au6 tubes and 7543 tubes without being sure they'd fit. Based on my readings in a different thread, a 7543 tube is apparently a "premium low hum" version of a 6au6, but i'm not sure it can work in a C800g? I'm unsure of the rules behind using different tube model numbers. I've received the 7543's in the mail, and the sizes and socket pins are identical to the 6au6.

The new old stock 6au6 tubes I bought are not of Sony nor are they of the Russian-made variety. They are identical in circumference but these are slightly shorter than Sony's. Sony 6au6a's are slimmer and taller than your typical tube, which makes it even more exclusive.

All in all, are these tubes safe and sufficient for use in my friend's C800g if I don't manage to get my hands on some stock Sony 6au6a tubes?

Thank you!
Old 27th May 2017
Lives for gear

There are 2 sizes (that I know of - there may be more but not sure) of 6AU6A. You should only use the size that's exactly like the Sony (Russian) one. I would never put anything else but a 6AU6A.
I've always ordered from Sony (since the 90's) and learned to eventually put them in myself (the few times I've had to). My C800G's tubes last for years - of using them just about every day.
I don't know about the rumors that they've stopped selling them. Hard to believe. BTW, they don't manufacture them. They buy thousands & test them, hence the cost.
There was also a rumor years ago that they stopped making the microphone.
And the rumors about the tube life are also just that.
Old 28th May 2017
Lives for gear

Back when I bought my Sony C800G they sold the replacement 6au6a tubes for about 70$ each... sounds like but regarding what the things costs I didn't care and bought some. In the meanwhile my PSU was replaced by Drefahl-Audio, Germany. And I also replaced the tube in the mic, they're slimmer than the ones in the PSU... but what Sony sells/sold is not the pinnacle, soundwise.

I like it even more than before, if you can - test different tubes!
Old 29th May 2017
Here for the gear
If you want valves for SONY C800G you could speak to Derek Rocco at Watford Valves:

www.watfordvalves.com

Regards,

Michael
Old 29th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
There are 2 sizes (that I know of - there may be more but not sure) of 6AU6A. You should only use the size that's exactly like the Sony (Russian) one. I would never put anything else but a 6AU6A.
I've always ordered from Sony (since the 90's) and learned to eventually put them in myself (the few times I've had to). My C800G's tubes last for years - of using them just about every day.
I don't know about the rumors that they've stopped selling them. Hard to believe. BTW, they don't manufacture them. They buy thousands & test them, hence the cost.
Thank you for your reply. It's very unfortunate, but Sony did indeed confirm with me that they would no longer be selling replacement tubes. I just had mine repaired and appeared to have lucked out. Now, i'm trying to get my friend back up and running, all while trying to stock up on replacements, to prolong the life of the mic. Wish we were one of the luckier folks who never seemed to have needed to change their tubes for years, if at all.
Old 29th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint View Post
Back when I bought my Sony C800G they sold the replacement 6au6a tubes for about 70$ each... sounds like but regarding what the things costs I didn't care and bought some. In the meanwhile my PSU was replaced by Drefahl-Audio, Germany. And I also replaced the tube in the mic, they're slimmer than the ones in the PSU... but what Sony sells/sold is not the pinnacle, soundwise.

I like it even more than before, if you can - test different tubes!
Thanks for the reply! Regarding the replacement tube you had put in, was this identical in length as the Sony Russian 6au6a variety? The few I managed to buy are from RCA, same circumference as Sony's, but shorter. Do you know if that matters?

I also bought 5 7543 tubes. When searched on ebay, 6au6 shows up within the same title, one listing even saying '7543 Tubes [HI-FI 6aU6 EF94]' or '7543 Tubes [Military Grade 6au6]'. Would I stray from trying these in the Sony? My naivety leads me to think they would be better based off the descriptions, but of course I don't want to jump to conclusions. Don't want the mic blowing up or anything, lol. Thanks again for your reply.
Old 29th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BataG View Post
If you want valves for SONY C800G you could speak to Derek Rocco at Watford Valves:

www.watfordvalves.com

Regards,

Michael
Thank you for referring! I sent them an e-mail. Hope they can help me out.
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Hit @ BOWIE up, he's the GS tube Jedi.

FWIW, I've used 3 different C800G's, all 3 had to have the tubes replaced about 1.5 years.
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaChaMalone View Post
Thanks for the reply! Regarding the replacement tube you had put in, was this identical in length as the Sony Russian 6au6a variety? The few I managed to buy are from RCA, same circumference as Sony's, but shorter. Do you know if that matters?
Not sure about that, but I think it's a tad shorter thand the original Sony tube... there's that cooling foil that need's to be mounted properly.
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Sony DEFINITELY still sells the replacement tubes for the C800G, I just purchased one for my C800G directly from sony's site about 2 months ago, and checking the site today they are still definitely in stock: https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.co...52525511.aspx#

The exact tube that Sony uses is actually an obscure soviet 6AU6(A) variant, the 6J4P. Sony buys these in bulk (they are super cheap $1-5 a tube on ebay) and grades them for for noise specs or whatever, stamps "Sony" on them and marks up the price to $75 (actually as of 2017 it's $95 a tube).

This tube is partially what gives the C800G it's unique high end

If you want your C800G to sound like it's actually supposed to, I would only use the 6J4P, as normal 6AUA6's DO NOT sound the same in the C800G circuit. You will loose some high end and the microphone's character will change (in my opinion for the worse) I attempted to use multiple normal and premium NOS 6AU6A's in my C800g, and none of them sounded right.

PS: Sony's customer service is a mess, and is known for giving out bad/inconsistent info about items being discontinued, or saying something isnt available when it is. Anyone remember when the C800G was "discontinued" according to some customer service reps?

Also, changing the tube in the Sony is easy once once you do it for the first time, I would never send the mic off to Sony and wait weeks or months for them to charge a ridiculous amount to do a 10 minute job. $5 tube, 10 minute job at Sony = $400+
Attached Thumbnails
Sony C800g w/ a 7543 or non-Sony 6au6 tube?-sony-tube.jpg  

Last edited by Prince Vision; 2nd July 2017 at 06:09 PM..
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Bro, I'm also in Seattle... I just peep'd your location. Feel free to get at me if you need any hands on help.
Old 12th February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
hey buddy this is what I received today from them FYI ;-) :

Thank you for contacting Sony Proparts.

I regret to inform you that P/N 152525511 (VACUUM TUBE (6AU6A) ) is no longer available in both our system and with our suppliers as well. The part has been discontinued and has no replacement.

We appreciate your business.

Regards,
K Sy (C5U6)
Sony Professional Solutions of America | Sony Electronics, Inc. 800-538-7550
Sony | Broadcast and Business Solutions | Sony ServicesPLUS site for Bulletins, Parts, Repairs, Service Agreements, Software, Training.
Old 12th February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Vision View Post
Sony DEFINITELY still sells the replacement tubes for the C800G, I just purchased one for my C800G directly from sony's site about 2 months ago, and checking the site today they are still definitely in stock: Part Number 152525511

The exact tube that Sony uses is actually an obscure soviet 6AU6(A) variant, the 6J4P. Sony buys these in bulk (they are super cheap $1-5 a tube on ebay) and grades them for for noise specs or whatever, stamps "Sony" on them and marks up the price to $75 (actually as of 2017 it's $95 a tube).

This tube is partially what gives the C800G it's unique high end

If you want your C800G to sound like it's actually supposed to, I would only use the 6J4P, as normal 6AUA6's DO NOT sound the same in the C800G circuit. You will loose some high end and the microphone's character will change (in my opinion for the worse) I attempted to use multiple normal and premium NOS 6AU6A's in my C800g, and none of them sounded right.

PS: Sony's customer service is a mess, and is known for giving out bad/inconsistent info about items being discontinued, or saying something isnt available when it is. Anyone remember when the C800G was "discontinued" according to some customer service reps?

Also, changing the tube in the Sony is easy once once you do it for the first time, I would never send the mic off to Sony and wait weeks or months for them to charge a ridiculous amount to do a 10 minute job. $5 tube, 10 minute job at Sony = $400+
I've been collecting the best New Old Stock audio tubes for the last 25 years, and my obsession about everything vacuum tube has resulted in a $500k stash. Here's my 2 cents. If a piece of gear is designed around a tube type and manufacturer, it's best to stick with that tube if you want the sound you've heard from other units that were stock. That's common sense.

However, Russian tubes vary in quality and sound. Generally Russian tubes are lower quality and sound cold & sterile compared to the best NOS tubes from RCA, Mullard, Holland Amperex, GEC, etc. But there are always exceptions.

If I buy something with Russian tubes, I try out NOS tubes and find something that sounds even better and will be more reliable. In this case, you don't have a lot of choices being a less common 6AU6A type of tube. I would get ahold of an RCA & Mullard to start with and see how it sounds. The Russian may sound better, but in a lot of pieces of gear, replacing a Russian with NOS makes an amazing improvement.
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearluv View Post

I regret to inform you that P/N 152525511 (VACUUM TUBE (6AU6A) ) is no longer available in both our system and with our suppliers as well. The part has been discontinued and has no replacement.

Regards,
K Sy (C5U6)
Sony | Broadcast and Business Solutions | Sony ServicesPLUS site for Bulletins, Parts, Repairs, Service Agreements, Software, Training.
My quote was from a year ago, I believe. Your news is NEW to me & can't confirm. But if true doesn't make sense. Would be terrible for all of us that love & depend on this mic.
And why are they still selling the mic?:

Sony | Pro Audio | Pro Audio | Microphones - Wired | Studio
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Hi Everyone:
I also bought a brand new C800G about 10 years now, and I think the sound is still good.
At what point, or what does the mike do or NOT do for us to think that it needs a new tube?
Thank you.
dan
Old 12th February 2018
Here for the gear

Odd

Quote:
My quote was from a year ago, I believe. Your news is NEW to me & can't confirm. But if true doesn't make sense. Would be terrible for all of us that love & depend on this mic.
And why are they still selling the mic?:

Sony | Pro Audio | Pro Audio | Microphones - Wired | Studio
This is a really good question Actually dude but I don't have a good answer lol
I Guess we'll have to find a acceptable alternative.
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan le View Post
Hi Everyone:
I also bought a brand new C800G about 10 years now, and I think the sound is still good.
At what point, or what does the mike do or NOT do for us to think that it needs a new tube?
Thank you.
dan
I have 2 C800G's & the tubes last a very long time - many years. Same goes for the power supply's 2.
You'll immediately know it. There's like an underlying hiss.
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Hi Aremos, thank you for letting me know.
So why are all the other fellows here having problems with the tubes.
I really don't understand.
dan
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

Hi Dan,
I've posted on a lot of threads that have people commenting on tube life. Majority are from people who don't own one.
Ariel
Old 12th March 2018
Here for the gear

If your tubes lasted all those years, that is very fortunate. I have 4 friends in South Korea that all bought C800g's within the last 3 years, brand new. I bought mine used and the tube was still sounding good at the time. All 5 of our Sony's have experienced failed tubes over a short period of time. That's a number we all can't ignore. Perhaps the newer C800g's are the culprit.

It is a shame that they've discontinued the tubes. The mic sounds beautiful when it does work.
Old 17th March 2018
Gear Maniac
you still can buy Sony 6au6a tube here
1-525-255-11 Sony Vacuum Tube (6Au6a))
but price is not so good (IMHO)

or try to use tube 6J4P made in exUSSR (original cyrillic name: 6Ж4П)
6j4p tube | eBay
it full analog of 6au6 tube

but after changing tube, you will need to check and adjust voltages (please see service manual)
Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mals View Post
you still can buy Sony 6au6a tube here
1-525-255-11 Sony Vacuum Tube (6Au6a))
but price is not so good (IMHO)

or try to use tube 6J4P made in exUSSR (original cyrillic name: 6Ж4П)
6j4p tube | eBay
it full analog of 6au6 tube

but after changing tube, you will need to check and adjust voltages (please see service manual)
Thanks for the info.
WOW, $164.00!
More than 2x what Sony charges (charged?).
The Russisn stuff on eBay "looks" good but there's no way of knowing what you're getting.
With Sony I didn't mind paying $75.00 for tubes that they had tested.
Old 21st March 2018
Gear Maniac
please see and compare
exUSSR 6J4P tube - in the right side of the photos
Sony 6AU6A (note: made in Russia) - left side
6J4P_Sony6AU6A_p02
6J4P_Sony6AU6A_p01

in real there are no differences
BUT maybe Sony was selected and checked tubes from a lot of ...
Old 21st March 2018
Lives for gear

Yes, that's the whole thing about the Sony tubes. They would select the best tubes to match the mic.
Old 22nd March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearluv View Post

Regards,
K Sy (C5U6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaChaMalone View Post
... It is a shame that they've discontinued the tubes. The mic sounds beautiful when it does work.
Good news!
I just personally spoke with Sony Parts & Accessories (Professional) in the Phillipines and was told that the tubes are still available but are back-ordered and NOT DISCONTINUED.

Let's all keep our information valid & try to gather all available info before coming to & posting conclusions.
I'm very aware of Sony's lack of attention & service to this mic.
Old 22nd March 2018
Lives for gear

For all Sony owners... I can highly recommend the drefahl audio DN221 psu for the Sony C-800G. It is non-tube and around 500 $.
drefahlaudio peter drefahl microphone service repair reskinning mikrofonreparaturen

I bought a DN221 about 1 year ago and couldn't be happier.
A/B comparison is no longer possible, but the noise floor has lowered and the mic sounds even better IMO now.
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear

Very interesting. But pardon my ignorance: why would I want a non Sony PS instead of the PS made specifically for the Sony mic?
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear

wait until parts in the original go bad...
Old 10th May 2018
Here for the gear

Hi all. My Sony 800G was playing up with a ton of white noise and so I obviously needed a new tube. I watched a video on YouTube on how to replace...fairly easy actually. What I was confused about was the actual Tube. I replaced it last night and it sounds stunning!! It actually sounds better than the original and no noise whatsoever. I highly recommend this tube which you can buy on Amazon for $7.00 ! So I bought 4. It is the 6AU6WC Philips. 6AU6WC-PHILIPS

It took me about 20 minutes to do the replacement and I added a small amount of thermal compound into the tube cradle as the old tube had lifted some off..but don't add too much ..just a tad! Also the copper cover used on top of the tube can be replaced but if you're careful you can lift it off intact without having to spend $40 on a new one. AJ
Old 21st June 2018
Gear Addict

Hi all,

I just replaced my tube with an 6j4p from eBay. Has anyone else had the issue of the socket for the tube pushing back into the mic? I had to unscrew the arm in order to hold the socket to push the tube into it. Sounds back to normal now tho

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search