The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Barefoot Footprint 01 VS Event Opal Studio Monitors
Old 23rd May 2017
Gear Addict

Barefoot Footprint 01 VS Event Opal

Hi! I just bought the Barefoot Footprint 01. Should I have bought the Event Opal instead? I produce mostly EDM.
Old 23rd May 2017
Lives for gear

You should have bought the speaker you like to listen to. In current situation Barefoots are better buy, because Opals are discontinued and their maintenance possibilities or potential repairs might be questionable.
Old 23rd May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
You should have bought the speaker you like to listen to. In current situation Barefoots are better buy, because Opals are discontinued and their maintenance possibilities or potential repairs might be questionable.
Where did you find out that the Opals are discontinued? Are you sure?
Old 23rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerGunnar View Post
Where did you find out that the Opals are discontinued? Are you sure?
I have Opals and think they are amazing monitors. However, a friend of mine decided not to buy them even though he also thinks they are awesome, because there are so much stories online stating that it's EOL. I asked Event about it but never received a response. I don't know, it does feel a bit EOL with some big and famous shops having them out of stock for many months.
Old 23rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Not sure if they are discontinued but you'll be hard pressed to find a brand new pair anywhere. Lots of choices though. PSI A21, PMC twotwo8, Unity Boulder, Genelec 8050B, Amphion two18, Adam A8X, APS Klasics, etc. And the list goes on.

But I'm curious. What didn't you like about the Barefoots?? Three way closed box with 8" woofer.... what makes you want to change. I know monitors are personal, but I'm interested in your opinion on them as someone who actually used them. Also how long did you have them? Did you give theme time to break in?
Old 23rd May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
I have Opals and think they are amazing monitors. However, a friend of mine decided not to buy them even though he also thinks they are awesome, because there are so much stories online stating that it's EOL. I asked Event about it but never received a response. I don't know, it does feel a bit EOL with some big and famous shops having them out of stock for many months.
Have you compared them to any other monitors?
Old 23rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi! I just bought the Barefoot Footprint 01. Should I have bought the Event Opal instead? I produce mostly EDM.
No you made the right choice - you will love them
Old 24th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you compared them to any other monitors?
Before I purchased my Opals, I auditioned the Opals on two seperate occasions, once in a studio and once in a music shop. In the studio I was able to a/b them with Focal Solo 6BE's and to my ears it was no contest, the Focals sounded narrow and lacked detail in comparison. It really sounded like the Opals where high-end 3-way monitors, that much of an upgrade it was to my ears.

In the store I was able to compare them to a wide variety of monitors and it basically destroyed them all. But in all fairness, it was the most expensive monitor at that time, most competitors where 1/10th to 1/2 the price, like Yamaha HS5, HS7, HS8, Adam A7X, A8X, Focal Alpha 65, 80, some other entry level Dynaudio's, KRK's and some brands I don't remember.

I have experience with other (semi) high-end monitors (KH, Genelec, Barefoot, ATC, Amphion, PMC, Unity Audio and some others), but not a direct comparison so difficult to judge the difference.
Old 25th May 2017
Gear Guru

The Footprints are killer.
why are you thinking of switching?
Old 22nd August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
The Footprints are killer.
why are you thinking of switching?
Hi Roundbadge. Just wondering if you could give your opinion on the Footprints Vs MM45 as I believe you've heard both?

I heard the Footprints today next to Neumann KH310a's. My only criticism of the Barefoots if any was that sometimes the soundstage felt a bit small; now I'm wondering if I should spend more to get the MM45. My room is small (14 foot x 10, at best).
Old 22nd August 2017
My buddy brought his mm45 to my studio last week to test just that, and we both preferred the footprints. Depends on the style of music you're producing, and your room.the 45's have a bigger soundstage and a little more present in the mids but I find the 45's a little harsh at times but bass wise there's no competition. The 45's sound great as well, but for me they were bass shy for my style. Can you demo both of them? I think with the footprints you'll need to treat your room a little more if it's not well treated. It will magnify your room problems in the low end. Footprints def had more punch also and not fatiguing to mix on. They also sound great at low volumes. Don't know how barefoot packed this kind of sound in such a small speaker!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post
Hi Roundbadge. Just wondering if you could give your opinion on the Footprints Vs MM45 as I believe you've heard both?

I heard the Footprints today next to Neumann KH310a's. My only criticism of the Barefoots if any was that sometimes the soundstage felt a bit small; now I'm wondering if I should spend more to get the MM45. My room is small (14 foot x 10, at best).
Old 22nd August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

I'd do the 45's.plenty of power for your room.
My mix room is 13 x 16
Running MM26's, great for getting people pumped for tracking but the 45's also sounded great in the room.
I like the bigger ones because they do act like mini mains in my space.
Seriously If I only had 45's I'd be ok too.
Old 22nd August 2017
Many thanks for that. Yes the store I was in today has both. I ran out of time and to be honest the Footprints were already at the top of my original budget, but I really want this upgrade to be right.

The KH310a's made a sweeter music listening experience and covered the same frequency range as the Footprints, but when I listened to the Dunkirk soundtrack the Footprints handled the complexity better.

I have Lavry converters here, but my speaker knowledge is very limited. Barefoot won me over on this day but I also walked away wondering if there is a further step up for near field monitoring in a small room and if so how much more would I need to pay.
Old 22nd August 2017
Thanks for that Roundbadge. Looks like I should pay the store another visit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I'd do the 45's.plenty of power for your room.
My mix room is 13 x 16
Running MM26's, great for getting people pumped for tracking but the 45's also sounded great in the room.
I like the bigger ones because they do act like mini mains in my space.
Seriously If I only had 45's I'd be ok too.
Old 23rd August 2017
They actually have the footprints in stock?? Wow lucky you!!
Can you demo both in your room?because when I demoed the mm45 at the store they sounded way diff in the store then in my room...
Quote:
Thanks for that Roundbadge. Looks like I should pay the store another visit!
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear

I only know one former Opal owner that has also worked on the new Footprint and he preferred the Opals, that being said, the Opals are hard to find nowadays.

I am an Opal owner who has just heard the Footprints, I didnt switch.
Old 25th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
They actually have the footprints in stock?? Wow lucky you!!
Can you demo both in your room?because when I demoed the mm45 at the store they sounded way diff in the store then in my room...
Yeah, they have (or maybe had) 2 pairs in stock. However I've taken them off my list since reading in SOS they have a 6ms delay. So it's back to the drawing board as I don't think I know or have heard enough yet to know what I should get. I think you're probably right regarding low frequency being not so extended on mm45. But if I go the next step to mm27, then I should also be looking at Kii Three. The store had Geithain RL901k (I think) playing in the office area that were just incredible. I think I'm just going to hold on a bit longer.
Old 26th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah, they have (or maybe had) 2 pairs in stock. However I've taken them off my list since reading in SOS they have a 6ms delay. So it's back to the drawing board as I don't think I know or have heard enough yet to know what I should get. I think you're probably right regarding low frequency being not so extended on mm45. But if I go the next step to mm27, then I should also be looking at Kii Three. The store had Geithain RL901k (I think) playing in the office area that were just incredible. I think I'm just going to hold on a bit longer.
How does 6ms affect anything? I can't even tell with mine.
Old 26th August 2017
Where did you hear the footprints?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
I only know one former Opal owner that has also worked on the new Footprint and he preferred the Opals, that being said, the Opals are hard to find nowadays.

I am an Opal owner who has just heard the Footprints, I didnt switch.
Old 26th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Where did you hear the footprints?
First at NAMM and then at a friend's studio.
Old 26th August 2017
Gear Addict

The hot lady in the Footprint commercial made me check out and buy the Footprints!

I've heard the Opals aswell. I have no idea which one is the best. But now I have the Footprints so... I would rather have something new than the old unreliable Opals.
Old 26th August 2017
I had the opals for a week when my buddy was moving his studio and while they are nice to listen to comercial music and impress the clients, I had problems on getting my mixes to translate on multiple systems. Maybe it's the two way system that I find the midrange is lacking on the opals and not as precise as a 3 way speaker closed design in the footprints.I only had them a week and maybe I didn't have enough time to get used to them, but on that note, from my first mix on the barefoots, I nailed the mix. I'm sure ymmv per room w the footprints but in my room they are great, and I don't have a big room 15x 14 about

Last edited by vsthalion; 27th August 2017 at 10:36 AM..
Old 27th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
I had the opals for a week when my buddy was moving his studio and while they are nice to listen to comercial music and impress the clients, I had problems on getting my mixes to translate on multiple systems. I only had them a week and maybe I didn't have enough time to get used to them, but on that note, from my first mix on the barefoots, I nailed the mix. I'm sure ymmv per room w the footprints but in my room they are great, and I don't have a big room 15x 14 about
I think I remember that the Opals didn't seem as deep and accurate as the Footprints. We AB'd them against the KRK Rokit 5's, and the difference was quite small. Anyway, nearly all of the Opals have issues. They need to be repaired all the time, and that's why the music shop where I bought the Footprints stopped importing the Opals in the end. The Footprints will give you instant streetcred, cause they are Barefoots. So if you want to impress, that's the way to do it. I also kinda love the fact that they are so rare, it makes them more special. In Norway, they still aren't in stock after I ordered the last available ones many months ago. And 4 sidefireing subs and built like a tank, I mean come on. They look bad ass! Plus MEME tech etc.
Old 27th August 2017
Yes only negative thing for me is the meme technology though. It doesn't convince me, I still use my ns10s, I never use the meme.but apart from that I'm really happy with the footprints. Like a great true 3way monitor should sound. one of the best investments I've done if I get a bigger room, I'd def wanna check out the mm27
Quote:
I think I remember that the Opals didn't seem as deep and accurate as the Footprints. We AB'd them against the KRK Rokit 5's, and the difference was quite small. Anyway, nearly all of the Opals have issues. They need to be repaired all the time, and that's why the music shop where I bought the Footprints stopped importing the Opals in the end. The Footprints will give you instant streetcred, cause they are Barefoots. So if you want to impress, that's the way to do it. I also kinda love the fact that they are so rare, it makes them more special. In Norway, they still aren't in stock after I ordered the last available ones many months ago. And 4 sidefireing subs and built like a tank, I mean come on. They look bad ass! Plus MEME tech etc.

Last edited by vsthalion; 27th August 2017 at 10:38 AM..
Old 28th August 2017
Quote:
Yes only negative thing for me is the meme technology though. It doesn't convince me, I still use my ns10s, I never use the meme.but apart from that I'm really happy with the footprints. Like a great true 3way monitor should sound. one of the best investments I've done if I get a bigger room, I'd def wanna check out the mm27
@ PerGunnar @ vsthalion
Do you have your FP 01 calibrated and what DAC do y'all use?

For some reason when I calibrate the FP01 to 85db spl C weighted using the Bob Katz -20rms pink noise file, my Apollo monitor controller ( attenuation only ), and SPL meter + apps, as soon as i play non clipping mastered music the protection circuit of the FP01 is engaging going crazy before the bass even drops or the " loudest " part of the song plays. Literally the protection circuit is engaging on vocals and synths/ pads, flashing from blue to red and flashing red, but then when the bass or loud parting the song comes in it's all red flashing/ glowing bright ( from the few seconds I let it play, stopped almost immediately out of fear of damage )

The protection circuit is very audible " yanking " down the program material to " protect " the circuit and speaker as a whole. Also damage can still be caused even with the protection circuit engaged so mybise with them has not been much.

I use an Apollo Quad which has a monitor controller that only attenuates level, and -0.0 is no attenuation and
-INF is fully attenuated ( no signal ). With the Apollo trimmed to -18.0 ( this is the 85db Spl C setting on the monitor controller )

The FP01 blue led goes red showing the protection circuit engaging which is peak and rms limiters designed to protect against hearing damage, thermal damage and over excursion of the sub, mid, & tweeter. I read this in the protection circuit section of other BF monitor's manuals. Damage can still occur from to high on an input signal.. Thomas also didn't explain what level the protection circuits kick in when I asked.

Thanks
Old 28th August 2017
Haven't calibrated mine yet but I don't have that problem you're mentioning. I'm using the avocet w antelope Orion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
@ PerGunnar @ vsthalion
Do you have your FP 01 calibrated and what DAC do y'all use?

For some reason when I calibrate the FP01 to 85db spl C weighted using the Bob Katz -20rms pink noise file, my Apollo monitor controller ( attenuation only ), and SPL meter + apps, as soon as i play non clipping mastered music the protection circuit of the FP01 is engaging going crazy before the bass even drops or the " loudest " part of the song plays. Literally the protection circuit is engaging on vocals and synths/ pads, flashing from blue to red and flashing red, but then when the bass or loud parting the song comes in it's all red flashing/ glowing bright ( from the few seconds I let it play, stopped almost immediately out of fear of damage )

The protection circuit is very audible " yanking " down the program material to " protect " the circuit and speaker as a whole. Also damage can still be caused even with the protection circuit engaged so mybise with them has not been much.

I use an Apollo Quad which has a monitor controller that only attenuates level, and -0.0 is no attenuation and
-INF is fully attenuated ( no signal ). With the Apollo trimmed to -18.0 ( this is the 85db Spl C setting on the monitor controller )

The FP01 blue led goes red showing the protection circuit engaging which is peak and rms limiters designed to protect against hearing damage, thermal damage and over excursion of the sub, mid, & tweeter. I read this in the protection circuit section of other BF monitor's manuals. Damage can still occur from to high on an input signal.. Thomas also didn't explain what level the protection circuits kick in when I asked.

Thanks
Old 28th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Haven't calibrated mine yet but I don't have that problem you're mentioning. I'm using the avocet w antelope Orion.
Same here. I'm using the Cranesong Avocet aswell (V.1)
Old 28th August 2017
The Opals are undoubtedly amazing speakers, but after 18 months with mine I'm ready to move onto something else. For the record, I'm completely happy with the sound in every way and have had great translation, but find them to be overly sensitive to room placement and acoustics, and also have some port chuffing with one. It's a real shame, there are very few speakers that translate well, yet are so entertaining to work with. I haven't checked out the Footprints but I'd imagine they are pretty top notch, I say don't look back, invest some time in learning them. Reevaluate in a year, and if you are sure they're not working out for you, then you can look at alternatives.
Old 28th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCorbet View Post
The Opals are undoubtedly amazing speakers, but after 18 months with mine I'm ready to move onto something else. For the record, I'm completely happy with the sound in every way and have had great translation, but find them to be overly sensitive to room placement and acoustics, and also have some port chuffing with one. It's a real shame, there are very few speakers that translate well, yet are so entertaining to work with. I haven't checked out the Footprints but I'd imagine they are pretty top notch, I say don't look back, invest some time in learning them. Reevaluate in a year, and if you are sure they're not working out for you, then you can look at alternatives.
As an Opal owner who has not experienced ANY reliability or chuffing issues (knock on wood), I'll say that upgrading from the Opals is the hardest thing to do. Have not been impressed with anything up to 10k (with the exception of the Amphion Two18 for 8500 but chose to add the One15 instead).
Old 28th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
As an Opal owner who has not experienced ANY reliability or chuffing issues (knock on wood), I'll say that upgrading from the Opals is the hardest thing to do. Have not been impressed with anything up to 10k (with the exception of the Amphion Two18 for 8500 but chose to add the One15 instead).
Yeah they really are amazing speakers... I'm going to demo the Kii Three, as my main problem is just getting reliable low-end in my small room, although the Amphions are on the list too. But I don't think I'll sell the Opals, hopefully one day I will get a bigger room where they can shine!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search