The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Barefoot Footprint 01 VS Event Opal Studio Monitors
Old 29th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCorbet View Post
Yeah they really are amazing speakers... I'm going to demo the Kii Three, as my main problem is just getting reliable low-end in my small room, although the Amphions are on the list too. But I don't think I'll sell the Opals, hopefully one day I will get a bigger room where they can shine!
Believe me I hear you, the Kii Three did kill the Opals when I heard them, however, lol... They're $10k MORE than the Opals were haha
Old 29th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
Haven't calibrated mine yet but I don't have that problem you're mentioning. I'm using the avocet w antelope Orion.
Thanks @ vsthalion and @ PerGunnar

I assume you use line outputs to feed the avocet then attenuate via the avocet? Have you ever seen the protection circuit kick in? What genres do you work in? I can't afford an avocet :(

I mean every song I played does this. Sent them to Barefoot they claim I used the wrong pink noise file to calibrate and nothing is wrong...

I could bypass the Apollo monitor controller however that would send full output from daw into FP01. My monitor controller is a 57 step attenuator on the Apollo ( set to -18, -0.0 is unity/ bypass ) so if mastered material that is attenuated is setting off the protection circuit in afraid a non attenuated full scale signal will blow them up.

Thomas did say he adjusted the limiters for the protection circuit. Idk very frustrated. Waiting on my FP01 to be shipped back, I've only been waiting 10+ business days.

Thanks for responding and providing your info and experience. I just want them to work and not damage them.
Old 3rd December 2018
Gear Maniac

Bump! Pretty old thread but I’m wondering if anyone has any new experience to contribute to this thread. I currently have the Opals and am wondering if the FP01s are an upgrade...unfortunately there are no shops around that carry the FPs.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 3rd December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjhuber View Post
Bump! Pretty old thread but I’m wondering if anyone has any new experience to contribute to this thread. I currently have the Opals and am wondering if the FP01s are an upgrade...unfortunately there are no shops around that carry the FPs.

Any input is appreciated.
I think the Barefoots are better. I know a guy who's got the Opals. And we tested the Opals against his KRK Rokit 5's. He told me like "can you hear how little difference there is between the Opals and the KRK's?" Later he gave me his KRK's. And then eventually I bought the Footprints. And I can definitely hear an improvement now when I compare them. Plus the Footprints have the MEME controller, so it's like having 4 different sets of speakers. To be fair, I don't really remember the test between the KRK's and the Opals. I just remember that I could hardly tell the difference. And he didn't have any acoustic treatment at that time. If you want to throw a party, get the Opals, as they have a higher SPL.
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Maniac

I'm going to bump this thread again...

I'm specifically interested around some of the comments (stemming from the SOS review) that the Barefoot's have 6ms of DSP related latency. Is that delay ONLY while using one of the MEME settings? Or is that all the time?

In my workflow, I'll often be overdubbing in the mix room without headphones. The 6ms of latency, stacking with what my system already has, makes me concerned that I would notice and impact the ability to work this way.

Any more info / thoughts?
Old 12th March 2019
I have no issues with delay w my barefoots sounds great here cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0b0 View Post

I'm specifically interested around some of the comments (stemming from the SOS review) that the Barefoot's have 6ms of DSP related latency. Is that delay ONLY while using one of the MEME settings? Or is that all the time?

In my workflow, I'll often be overdubbing in the mix room without headphones. The 6ms of latency, stacking with what my system already has, makes me concerned that I would notice and impact the ability to work this way.

Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

And no issues with delay here either while overdubbing using the speakers. Still loving the Footprints!!

Edit: I never use the MEME settings so can't comment on that.
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeka View Post
And no issues with delay here either while overdubbing using the speakers. Still loving the Footprints!!
Excellent...

What DAW are you using? If Pro Tools native; what playback sample rate are you using?
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Excellent...

What DAW are you using? If Pro Tools native; what playback sample rate are you using?
LPX @ 44.1 mostly 128 buffer. Latency not an issue for players/singers here.

Edit: of course the singers will be on phones but I overdub bass/keys a lot in the CR with no latency issue monitoring thru the Footprints.
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeka View Post
LPX @ 44.1 mostly 128 buffer. Latency not an issue for players/singers here.
Excellent - thanks!
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Haven’t noticed any latency either. Nothing but praise for the Footprints
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerGunnar View Post
I think the Barefoots are better. I know a guy who's got the Opals. And we tested the Opals against his KRK Rokit 5's. He told me like "can you hear how little difference there is between the Opals and the KRK's?" Later he gave me his KRK's. And then eventually I bought the Footprints. And I can definitely hear an improvement now when I compare them. Plus the Footprints have the MEME controller, so it's like having 4 different sets of speakers. To be fair, I don't really remember the test between the KRK's and the Opals. I just remember that I could hardly tell the difference. And he didn't have any acoustic treatment at that time. If you want to throw a party, get the Opals, as they have a higher SPL.
lol if you can't hear the difference between the Opals and the krk, you should maybe not be in the audio industry lol
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
lol if you can't hear the difference between the Opals and the krk, you should maybe not be in the audio industry lol
I think that's a rude thing to say. There's a massive difference between having a talent for composing music and having a talent for mixing and mastering. And I'm not in the "industry."
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Yeah, insane. The Opals simply destroyed my KRK V6 series 2 when I compared them, it was scary how much of an improvement the Opals where. Everything was better, frequence range, stereo image, depth, dynamics, transient response, distortion specs, you name it. As if the V6 was playing covered with blankets.

But the KRK V6 mk2 walks circles around the KRK RP5, so how on earth is it possible to not hear a gigantic difference between the Opal and the RP5, must be the interface or room or a combination of both. [snip]

Last edited by Solidtrax; 6th April 2019 at 12:56 PM..
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtrax View Post
Yeah, insane. The Opals simply destroyed my KRK V6 series 2 when I compared them, it was scary how much of an improvement the Opals where. Everything was better, frequence range, stereo image, depth, dynamics, transient response, distortion specs, you name it. As if the V6 was playing covered with blankets.

But the KRK V6 mk2 walks circles around the KRK RP5, so how on earth is it possible to not hear a gigantic difference between the Opal and the RP5, must be the interface or room or a combination of both. Or, I hope not, bad hearing.
Don't be so quick to judge. The guy who tested out these two monitors didn't have any acoustic treatment whatsoever. Terrible room as well, he had his studio in his living room with walls made out of concrete or something right beside his kitchen, placed in a corner. So the placement of his studio wasn't exactly ideal. So neither of us could hear much of a difference, and he is a pro musician. With acoustic treatment I can hear a big difference between the Footprint 01's and the Rokit 5's though. Not everybody has "golden ears."
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerGunnar View Post
Don't be so quick to judge. The guy who tested out these two monitors didn't have any acoustic treatment whatsoever. Terrible room as well, he had his studio in his living room with walls made out of concrete or something right beside his kitchen, placed in a corner. So the placement of his studio wasn't exactly ideal. So neither of us could hear much of a difference, and he is a pro musician. With acoustic treatment I can hear a big difference between the Footprint 01's and the Rokit 5's though. Not everybody has "golden ears."
I’m sorry if my post felt offensive or disrespectful, that was certainly not my intention. It might be a language thing, as I’m not native English. I did mention that I thought it must be the room or equipment, the last bit perhaps came out wrong. I will rectify that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search