The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Groesser U67: how much should I pay for it? Condenser Microphones
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
@ Trans
Someone mentioned earlyer that Andreas Grossers microphones will soon be branded and sold through his own company name.
i don not know if that is really true or not.
what i do know is that Andreas has certainly just finished a new microphone, again labeled a Voxorama mic.

it is called the Voxorama U49

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-...icrophone.html
Someone is me Andreas told me it that till number 10 will be the new mic Voxorama - after will be Grosser brand. If changed - I don´t know
Old 28th May 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by transsylvan View Post
Compared it to an almost unused U87 (not Ai), and it has much higher sensitivity, more mids and highs.
For what it's worth, that does not sound like a stock 67 to me. Stock 67's are dark.
Old 28th May 2017
Lives for gear

The gutz are wrong.
Modern vishay caps (should be wima TFFs), looks like a Mullard tube as opposed to a T'funken EF86s (which are very £££ now but for good reason!) and I bet there isn't a Siemens MKL output cap in there either.
These components matter if you're after THAT sound.
Tranny & capsule are correct though!
Old 29th May 2017
Lives for gear

It looks like a 92 doesn't it!
Seriously put in a 1uf MKL output cap! You'll thank me later!
The different tubes are worth experimenting with too!
Enjoy!
Old 29th May 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
It looks like a 92 doesn't it!
Seriously put in a 1uf MKL output cap! You'll thank me later!
The different tubes are worth experimenting with too!
Enjoy!
Many thanks for your comment again. I'm not good at DIY, can you please point me on a cap like this somewhere to buy? i.e what voltage or so.. Thanks: Tranny
Old 29th May 2017
Lives for gear

Don't underestimate that Eastern German tube.
Old 29th May 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Don't underestimate that Eastern German tube.
No, I don't do it at all. Heard in right mics already.
Old 29th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Many thanks for your comment again. I'm not good at DIY, can you please point me on a cap like this somewhere to buy? i.e what voltage or so.. Thanks: Tranny
I don't imagine the psu has a standby on the B+ so 250v is a good idea.
German eBay is your friend! But they are getting harder to find (and fit!).
Talk to Klaus if you are serious about getting THAT sound. The dude doesn't mess about!
And yes - don't write-off that EG tube but also don't kid yourself that it's the "real" deal. Different tubes make a very audible difference in a 67 circuit! Not necessarily better or worse (that's up to you and your ears of course).
Old 29th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
And yes - don't write-off that EG tube but also don't kid yourself that it's the "real" deal.
You may be surprised when you hear Grosser's opinion on this.
Old 29th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
You may be surprised when you hear Grosser's opinion on this.
No doubt I will, Legato.
I know you shoot straight so what's the skinny? Are they re-badged Tele tubes? Or does Grosser just think they sound great?
Old 30th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No doubt I will, Legato.
I know you shoot straight so what's the skinny? Are they re-badged Tele tubes? Or does Grosser just think they sound great?
Basically the latter, although I'm not sure if "just" is appropriate.
But to get the whole story it's better to ask the man himself.

I'll add some of my own ponderings if I may.
From what I understand, many original U67s were actually fitted with Valvo EF86 tubes FWIW.
Also, it makes a difference if you use the mic as a vocal mic versus an allround instrumental one. In the latter case you'd better disable the 40Hz high pass filter BTW.
Personally, I'm kind of a Philips guy. But I'm Dutch, so I may be biased (pun intended). Valvo was owned by Philips BTW, as were Mullard and Amperex.

Talking about being biased, I believe most of us, Westerners, don't fully realise how much we have been influenced during our lifetimes; even now, but especially when the Iron Curtain was still there. Pretty much everything west of it was right and good, and east of if was wrong and bad. Don't worry, I won't go into to politics. Let's just say we were raised on John Wayne and Coca Cola, for better or for worse.

To many, Germany is the promised land of microphones. Let me mention four reputable guys that pop up here regularly: Oliver Archut (RIP), Klaus Heyne, Siegfried Thiersch and Andreas Grosser. Now the first two are of Western German origin. And they moved to the US to boot. The latter two are of Eastern German origin. And they stayed.
Also, the first two are/were very active on internet fora. And they've talked about EF86 tubes quite a bit, especially Telefunken ones. Interestingly, Oliver at one point stated that the best choice was a Valvo E80f. But later he shifted towards the Telefunken EF86 (of which he had collected many thousands). Siegfried and Andreas don't post much, if anything, on fora. They likely weren't taught English at school and they never lived in the US. I guess that's part of the reason (Andreas will communicate in English over the phone, though). And marketing oneself as a way to survive hasn't been hammered into them so much.

I'll also say that unless you have a very reliable tube supplier (and one with the right test equipment), buying a Telefunken EF86 has become sort of a Russian Roulette. Good chance you get the dregs. I personally have had bad experiences in this regard. And even if you get a stellar example, you may in the end prefer the tone of others. I did.

Tubes for high end microphone use should be carefully selected, regardless of brand. Andreas Grosser does just that. And there are very few guys, if any, that I trust more when it comes to the classic microphones.

HTH

Last edited by legato; 30th May 2017 at 10:47 AM..
Old 31st May 2017
Gear Nut
I've found this new EF86 tube at a German dealer. Does anybody have any kind of experience with it? The description is really promising, but that's all I have now.

https://www.btb-elektronik.de/artikel/528138
Attached Thumbnails
Groesser U67: how much should I pay for it?-ef806s-s4gb-mic.jpeg  
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

NOS is still the way to go IMO.

But I'll add that the proof is in the pudding.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

I will test tubes now
Old 1st June 2017
NOS is a lottery unless you know a reliable source. Regarding new valves I was led to believe that almost all brands come from 2 factories.
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

So the winner is Tele EF86 I like mids and how it is balanced , the same good sounding is but with more highs tele EF806s , then Philips which had the most highs but bit of lack bass, then both Tungsram , one was a bit thin one was sonically almost the same good as tele eF86 but noisy....
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff View Post
So the winner is Tele EF86 I like mids and how it is balanced , the same good sounding is but with more highs tele EF806s , then Philips which had the most highs but bit of lack bass, then both Tungsram , one was a bit thin one was sonically almost the same good as tele eF86 but noisy....
The moral to the story is: try em out for yourself in YOUR mic. They all sound different but there is a "best"! For real!
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The moral to the story is: try em out for yourself in YOUR mic. They all sound different but there is a "best"! For real!
I would change it : .....but there is a "best"! For your ears!
Old 2nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
NOS is a lottery unless you know a reliable source.

And the winner is..... GS member BOWIE!

He does thorough testing and inspection for microphonics on each tube before selling and has the proper equipment. He also burns in the tubes before testing and shipping for more consistent and realistic results on the equipment. If they used NOS tubes in heart surgery I would still trust buying from him.

Me: Hey Bowie....so I'm going in for this triple bypass next week and need a real solid NOS tube. Got any suggestions?

Bowie: Absolutely. Depends on what you want though. I have NOS tube "a" which is really exciting and open. You'll feel like you just got off the treadmill. It's sure to get your heart thumping. I also have NOS tube "b" and it's pretty mellow and subdued. You'll feel like you just did Yoga with that one. Then there is NOS tube "c" and it has this real heft to it. Makes you feel like you went a little overboard on the cranberries and stuffing during Thanksgiving but without the acid reflux. That seems to be the favorite for triple bypass.

Last edited by Funny Cat; 2nd June 2017 at 01:10 AM..
Old 2nd June 2017
Lives for gear

You're funny, Cat.
Old 2nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Old 2nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Dear Fellas,

I've just managed to order a NOS TFK EF86 from a well know German mic expert. He measures his tubes and also tests in a U67. I will make a test using my Voxorama U67, with the EG tube and the TFK. And I will post you the files, if someone would be interested.

Cheers, Tranny.

I'd personally be interested in hearing the files. You know, It's interesting how many times I have heard people say on this very site that rolling tubes is a complete waste of time. I'm sure it makes less difference in some circuits then others but I have heard night and day differences after swapping tubes, especially in the sibilance and mud ranges of speech. OK, a bit of an exaggeration. Maybe "mid-morning, late afternoon" differences. So yeah...let's hear the files! Good luck!
Old 2nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Yup, let's hear 'em.

Trickiest bit may be getting the exact same circumstances.
Old 3rd June 2017
Lives for gear

I'm right there with you Funny Cat, I think it also depends on the mic -- in regards to how effective the change will be, but I've got a custom mic that was honestly (and I almost didn't bother because I figured there was no way it could charge it that drastically) night and day when putting in an original 50s, 5-star, triple mica, ge 6072 tube. The mic is tops now
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
. .
why did you delete all your posts and the pictures?
i think this is valuable info for anyone interested in U67's.
Old 5th February 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
why did you delete all your posts and the pictures?
i think this is valuable info for anyone interested in U67's.
PM me if interested. :-)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search