The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony c800g mysteries? Should i... Condenser Microphones
Old 13th May 2017
Sony c800g mysteries? Should i...

Any one know a good trust worthy mic tech that has experience with the Sony C800g? My C800G seems to be lacking the high frequency characteristics I associate with a pristine C800G, it sounds a bit subdued in the high end.

Some say NEVER send it to Sony, because their service sucks and is grossly overpriced. Others say only send to Sony. I'm a DIY guy myself, so I tend to lean towards not trusting big "service centers" because I know most of the time they usually don't look in to problems with any level of detail.

There seems to be a mystery about some of the technical aspects and revision of the Sony C800G's through out the years, especially now, since the slate VMS system came out. So much so that Slate modeled an old one, (800M) as the older C800G's seem to be darker. Is there even a unified option of what a C800G is supposed to sound like? My C800G has never been so crisp or present that it's been too much, I regularly boost the high end on tracks recorded with it. Mine sounds dark compared to how others describe theirs.

I shot out my C800G with the slate recently, and the results were that my C800G was distinctively different than the Slate 800 model, but better matched the 800M model. Either way I preferred the brighter slate C800G model to my real C800G.

I've changed the tubes plenty of times, as these mics will degrade the tube far before actual tube failure which results in a slow decline in quality of the microphones characteristics. So as some know, you have to change the tube when the mic starts not sounding right. People who have cited having the same the tube in their C800G for years probably don't remember how much better the mic sounded when the tube was new. Also I only use the soviet 6A6U variant, the "6J4P" that sony uses, I tried a ton of other normal 6A6Us and in every case normal 6A6U's DO NOT sound as good in this mic.

Some people say that the if you have the older C800G's that you need the big caps in the psu changed for the new (six capacitors) filter board that sony sells for the PSU. My Sony has the six cap board in the psu.

So does anyone know the real deal? Is there simply two different models of the C800G, with design changes? There seems to be a ton of misinformation and dismissive conclusions on GS. It seems a few years ago when people thought the C800G was being discontinued due to new lead free requirements, and that it was being replace by what Sony of Japan called the C800G/9X. There was a hold up in production that year, and then things "seemingly" went back to normal, (with a price hike). I assumed Sony decided not change the model name for the western market, to not incite any questions about the new model; but there were some minor cosmetic changes, such as the older ones come in a silver case, and the newer ones a black case.

Posts on C800G differences:
Sony C800G different versions??

Two Sony C800G Microphones Sounding Different

Post on the C800G/9X:
What is the current status of Sony C-800G? What is the current '9X' model?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6738592-post367.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12210260-post3698.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6535702-post7.html

Sony C-800G (discontinued) Vs. Sony C-800G/9X

About the capacitors in the psu:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10740207-post41.html
Attached Thumbnails
Sony c800g mysteries? Should i...-sony-c800g-black.jpg   Sony c800g mysteries? Should i...-20170514_101056.jpg  

Last edited by Prince Vision; 14th May 2017 at 06:28 PM..
Old 14th May 2017
Lives for gear

1) The only thing that's changed throughout the years is the back panel of the PSU
2) Old models came in the black case not the silver
3) Tubes last a very long time on the mic. Don't know where the myth of them not lasting much comes from. Tubes in the PSU last even
longer.
4) Seems like you're very well informed about a lot of other things regarding the mic. I own a couple and you can PM me if you'd like. In the long run sending it to Sony might be your best bet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search