The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avedis ma5 on drums with no pad? 500 Series Preamps
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

Avedis ma5 on drums with no pad?

Thinking about buying an Ma5, but it has no pad. Has this been a problem for recording loud drummers on OH, kick, or snare? Or is the gain and output trim sufficient.

Thanks for you input
Old 12th May 2017
Gear Head
output trim is more than sufficient. lovely pre for drums. engage that 28k button and sit back and smile.
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply.
Anyone else?
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
Thanks for the reply.
Anyone else?
As said above no problem at all.. Used it several times on kick/snare and OH..
The MA5 has a tremendous headroom.. Plus the trim knob will help not to clip your converters and it's more than adeguate for that.. 28k button is a nice bonus if you need more sparkle or in case of some "dark" ribbons..

It has a nice heft and thickness ime. Love it.

Imho can't go wrong..

Fwiw here is a review I wrote several years ago:
Avedis Audio MA5

Cheu
Old 16th May 2017
din
Gear Maniac

I use MA5 on drums regularly with no pad. It's no problem at all.
Old 16th May 2017
Lives for gear

Wonderful piece of kit. Versatile gain staging. No problems on drums (or loud guitars, or quiet sources, or when using ribbons). Just buy it and track something. Best of luck.
Old 19th May 2017
My favorite preamp! You'll be fine with loud sources. It's starts at 15dbs of gain.
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

I noticed it starts with really low numbers on the gain dial compared to other preamps that use the Marconi style gain knobs.
I pulled the trigger on one.
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear
Avedis makes a $35 plug-in line pad called pad-z. You could always try one if you have problems.
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808KickDrum View Post
Avedis makes a $35 plug-in line pad called pad-z. You could always try one if you have problems.
The Pad Avedis makes is a LINE pad. It's meant to enter into the MA5 with a line level signal.. in order to have correct level AND impedance when (for exemple) passing the mix through the MA5's.
Use the line pads and put the gain at 35db's and the output trim fully clockwise (at 0db).

Yes, but afaik it's not meant to pad a microphone level signal..

I have yet to see a microphone clipping my MA5. Even when I use the Violet Design mics (which are among the hottest output signal mics I own) I'm far from clipping the INPUT stage of the MA5.
When I'm using hot output mics (like the Violet Amethyst Vintage), I have the gain knob on the MA5 at minimum 15 or maximum 20db and attenuate with the output trim knob to match my preferred level for hitting the converters (in my case between -12 and -9 peaks).
Of course you could also push the input stage (gain) more and attenuate more.. depending what do you want to achieve. But don't worry about clipping the pre.
At its tremendous headroom is very hard to clip the MA5.

Cheu
Old 27th May 2017
Lives for gear

Put it to,use yesterday. Tested it on kick and mono OH. No probs. Even had to turn the gain up to the 2nd notch. Could've gone to third.
Then, I actually recorded vocals for a bands album. No pad necessary with the gain starting out so low.

That 28k button is cool on OH. Kick too. Nice feature in lieu of lo cut and a pad.
Old 27th May 2017
Gear Nut

One of my favorite mic pres out there.
Love tracking drums with it!
Overdriven/distorted guitars + MA-5 = tone heaven!
Old 18th June 2017
A lot of class A/B preamps out there start at 30-35 db of gain, this is where concern arrises. MA5 starts at 15 as I stated above. The new Avedis MD7 is class A/B but no need for a pad as well because it was designed properly. Hats off to Avedis Audio for designing and not just copying like a lot of other companies do.
Old 18th June 2017
Getting ready to pull the trigger on an Avedis MA5 this week. Lots of good words here over the years for this preamp. It will be used mainly for lead vocals. We tried out a P1, nice preamp and it was great on our female vocalist but a bit bass heavy on the male. Our Copperhead vocal mic (current favorite) is bit bass heavy to begin with especially with the Tele tube.

Got to try them out in your own setup for sure.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search