The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hum from BAE 1073 annoying... 500 Series Preamps
Old 7th May 2017
Here for the gear

Hum from BAE 1073 annoying...

Hi, I have a pair of 500 series racks with their own PSU,s the rack with problem have two 1073 D and five 1073 pre,s. When starting up the green lightbulb wont lit and I have to turn on and off power till it does.. I am having this groundhum especially from the five singlepre's I have swapped the PSU's, moved them around, tried to lift the ground on my SWITHCRAFT patchbay, changed the order of the preamps. Tried with and without microphone. My cables are new AVID , everything is brand new.. I have mailed Mark at BAE who says he is not familiar with my issues. I have seen the thread from 2011 and "Avedis" answer but now its 2017. I am going crazy
Can someone here help me?

Micke S/Sweden.
Old 7th May 2017
Lives for gear

Take a couple/few modules out and see if that fixes it. Go from there.
Old 7th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
Take a couple/few modules out and see if that fixes it. Go from there.
Thanks but as said, I have done that. In the other rack I have API AEA SSL preamps and they are whithout any hum/noise I also have WARM audiogear, not 500 series and they are silent too.. It is strange that my most expensive gear is the one with problems..

Any other suggestions??

Micke.
Old 8th May 2017
Gear Maniac

BAE 1073D units don't have a green light on them.

Are you talking about the lights on your 500 series chassis? What brand chassis are you using?

How long have you had this problem? Did the hum just start one day or is all this equipment brand new?

How close is the PSU to any other equipment? Have you tried using a different power outlet in a different room of your house?

Are you using a power conditioner of any kind? Is it new or old?
Old 8th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by REGGAE View Post
BAE 1073D units don't have a green light on them.

Are you talking about the lights on your 500 series chassis? What brand chassis are you using?

How long have you had this problem? Did the hum just start one day or is all this equipment brand new?

How close is the PSU to any other equipment? Have you tried using a different power outlet in a different room of your house?

Are you using a power conditioner of any kind? Is it new or old?
1. I mean the light on the powersupplies Everything is BAE,psu modules and rack.
2. Everything except the two 1073 D is brand new and the hum was there from the start.
3. I have swapped the psu's changed poweroutlet and tried to move them away from everything else in the audiochain.
4. No powerconditioner . I have TWO racks but it is only the one with BAE modules that have this grounding hum..

Micke.
Old 9th May 2017
Gear Maniac

Do you still have the hum when the rack is empty?

Is everything else working fine aside from the hum? Like the sound is passing through?

What kind of signal are you using the feed the 1073D units?
Old 9th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by REGGAE View Post
Do you still have the hum when the rack is empty?

Is everything else working fine aside from the hum? Like the sound is passing through?

What kind of signal are you using the feed the 1073D units?
1, no, it is coming from my 1073 preamps, the two 1073D is quiet.
2. Yes, the signal is passing through and sounds ok.
3. Mic and line,
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soderlund View Post
Thanks but as said, I have done that.
I went back and re-read. I admit, it's late, and it's been a long day, so forgive me. I still don't see what was the result of running the rack with only one module. Hum still there?

One module, and only one slot's audio wire up? Still humming?

Quote:
Any other suggestions??

Micke.
I have the 500-8 slot 'high current' chassis. I have to kind of mount the external power supply away from other things to avoid a buzz. Hum? No.

Last thing; are they all on the same (power) outlet?
Old 9th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
I went back and re-read. I admit, it's late, and it's been a long day, so forgive me. I still don't see what was the result of running the rack with only one module. Hum still there?

One module, and only one slot's audio wire up? Still humming?

I have the 500-8 slot 'high current' chassis. I have to kind of mount the external power supply away from other things to avoid a buzz. Hum? No.

Last thing; are they all on the same (power) outlet?
Hi!

Yes I have tried to move the power supply away, also tried to have the same powersource and different powersource...nothing helps,
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Hi

Have you contacted Mark at BAE about this? Could be a faulty power supply....

Quote:
Hi!

Yes I have tried to move the power supply away, also tried to have the same powersource and different powersource...nothing helps,
Old 9th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

Have you contacted Mark at BAE about this? Could be a faulty power supply....

Hi,

Yes I have mailed Mark who answered that we can take it over phone, There is some timedifference U S-Sweden where I live but I am not sure what he can do over phone.. I believe that it is something wrong with the rackunit.. I have now tested every thing I can think of and my API and AEA 500series in my other BAE-rack is totaly noiseless..

Micke,
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Hi

They have a distributor in Sweden....

Zima Produktion TEL: +46-86535710

Have you tried them for help?

Quote:
Hi,

Yes I have mailed Mark who answered that we can take it over phone, There is some timedifference U S-Sweden where I live but I am not sure what he can do over phone.. I believe that it is something wrong with the rackunit.. I have now tested every thing I can think of and my API and AEA 500series in my other BAE-rack is totaly noiseless..

Micke,
Old 10th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

They have a distributor in Sweden....

Zima Produktion TEL: +46-86535710

Have you tried them for help?

Hi!

Thanks! I will tomorrow se if I can get another rack contact Zima
Very nice of you, thanks.
Micke.
Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear

I had a similar problem a few years ago with one of their lunchbox units... damn shame because otherwise I loved the sound...
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search