The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Speaker choices Studio Monitors
Old 6th May 2017
Speaker choices

So im in the Market for some new monitors. Currently using Genelec 8030b with a 7050b sub option. THIS Setup is fine and works well. i listen an mix mostly at low volumes in a well treated room (12ft x 15ft) with virtually a flat response so i don't believe I'm being lied to by my monitors. my desk, however, is almost up against my wall and i know that sometimes gives a false sense of mids but essentially my material transfers well to other mediums like cars and other Radios.

I want to upgrade and get a second pair of Midrange Monitors but I'm just watching my Room size and size and positioning of my desk.
My choices are: (in that order)

1. Genelec 8351
2. PMC twotwo8
3. Amphion two18

honorable mention Barefoot MM27

the barefoot MM27s are also good and receiving a lot of hype (which i don't like) and just a touch above my price range but I'm practically sold on the genelecs and basically just tryin to get a sense of other speakers in the same range and, given where I'm placing them, i wanna be sure i have all the info i need to make a good decision. i'll be in miami next week hoping to listen to as many as possible, but id love to hear from ppl that have heard atleast two of the 4 options. I'm sure they all sound good but I'm looking for comparable differences

Cheers
Sheriff

Last edited by sheriff; 6th May 2017 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: spell check
Old 7th May 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
So im in the Market for some new monitors. Currently using Genelec 8030b with a 7050b sub option. THIS Setup is fine and works well. i listen an mix mostly at low volumes in a well treated room (12ft x 15ft) with virtually a flat response so i don't believe I'm being lied to by my monitors. my desk, however, is almost up against my wall and i know that sometimes gives a false sense of mids but essentially my material transfers well to other mediums like cars and other Radios.

I want to upgrade and get a second pair of Midrange Monitors but I'm just watching my Room size and size and positioning of my desk.

1. Genelec 8351
2. PMC twotwo8
3. Amphion two18

the barefoot MM27s are also good and receiving a lot of hype (which i don't like) and just a touch above my price range but I'm practically sold on the genelecs and basically just tryin to get a sense of other speakers in the same range and, given where I'm placing them, i wanna be sure i have all the info i need to make a good decision. i'll be in miami next week hoping to listen to as many as possible, but id love to hear from ppl that have heard atleast two of the 4 options. I'm sure they all sound good but I'm looking for comparable differences

Cheers
Sheriff
Try the Barfoot MM45's as well.
thought the Genies sounded pretty good but farted out at higher volumes and didn't have the depth and low extension of the MM45's.
had the two18's next to my old BF mm27 G2's..no where near the depth of field or low extension.
I currently have Amphion one18's[replaced my NS10's] next to Barefoot MM26's.
the only way you'll know you're spending your money well is to get the boxes in your own room for a couple days.
Old 7th May 2017
You Mean the Amphions had better depth and low extension than the MM27s?
Old 7th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

1. Genelec 8351
2. PMC twotwo8
3. Amphion two18

Cheers
Sheriff

If you're considering the mm27, get the kii three they are about the same $$$
Old 7th May 2017
What brand are those and why did you suggest them?
Old 7th May 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
You Mean the Amphions had better depth and low extension than the MM27s?
no the opposite
Old 7th May 2017
Oh Ho. Thanks.
I was all but set on those Genelecs. Wont get to hear any of them in my room but wanna hear them all at some point.
Old 7th May 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Oh Ho. Thanks.
I was all but set on those Genelecs. Wont get to hear any of them in my room but wanna hear them all at some point.
in that case bring as many familiar reference files to check them out.
I usually have a few I know fairly well.
have fun.
Old 7th May 2017
i Will.... i feel stressed. So many Options So little time .lol
Old 7th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
What brand are those and why did you suggest them?
Quite odd, I replied to your post but don't seem to see it.

I mentioned the Kii Three speakers because they are around the same $$$ as the speakers that you're thinking of but so much better imo (the only ones that seem to 'match' them are the Amphion Two18+baseone25 but that's a bit more money.
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Danger! You are inviting Loudspeaker Of The Century Of The (Gearslutz) Month analysis.

Evaluate for yourself, in your space, using reference material you know well. Spend money to conduct that evaluation, if needed.

John Caldwell
Old 8th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Quite odd, I replied to your post but don't seem to see it.

I mentioned the Kii Three speakers because they are around the same $$$ as the speakers that you're thinking of but so much better imo (the only ones that seem to 'match' them are the Amphion Two18+baseone25 but that's a bit more money.
Ill Check Them Out. Just need to listen. Just want something dependable and balanced given my space and mix habits.

Thanks. You Guys are of great help
Old 8th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by john caldwell View Post
Danger! You are inviting Loudspeaker Of The Century Of The (Gearslutz) Month analysis.

Evaluate for yourself, in your space, using reference material you know well. Spend money to conduct that evaluation, if needed.

John Caldwell
HAHAH i know right.
well I'm traveling to miami to see if i can listen. it won't be possible to listen at my studio since I'm all the way in Trinidad and Tobago. If miami doesn't produce results ill try to make it out to VintageKing LA at a later date. its tricky. i jus need to hear for myself but I'm welcoming opinions as well.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search