The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Solo 6 Be Studio Monitors
Old 6th May 2017
Gear Maniac

Focal Solo 6 Be

I've had the CMS 65 for a few weeks and I'm quite satisfied with them. Got a great deal on them as they are priced at €400 now. I'm wondering how much of an improvement the Solo 6 Be's will be for my needs?

My needs are:
  • Mixes and masters that translate well and I can have confidence in.
  • Ability to mix on "conversation volume" levels and get the speakers' full benefit. I don't want to have to crank it to hear certain frequencies.
  • Good cross genre representation, including rock/metal music.
  • Midrange clarity.
  • Best soundstage for the buck.

What I like with the CMS65 is that they are good at the low volume thing. Are the Solo 6's similar in that regard? CMS 65's are bit muddy for rock stuff though. There's something missing from the guitars in particular. Pop, rap and EDM sounds great though. My listening spot is well treated with good bass response and RT60 levels under 1 sec up to about 500 Hz and below 0.5 sec from 500 Hz and up. Quite good IMHO. The CMS65's give a rather flat response, if you look at this inverted response curve in the mix position in my studio:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1494052595

Should I return the CMS's and go Solo's?

Also, do you think the Solo's are at the end of their life cycle? I mean, they are a 7-8 year old design. Have you heard anything about Focal making a new revision or dropping the price? I know the CMS are discontinued as of about a month or so ago. Any other speaker I should consider instead of the Focals? Budget below €2000 for the pair.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Focal Solo 6 Be-18198583_1788016251528166_7447488119116653257_n.jpg  

Last edited by Amphibian; 6th May 2017 at 07:46 AM..
Old 6th May 2017
The Solos are a nice setup up from the CMS. You will love them
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search