The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tube Tech CL2A - Fixed vs manual question Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 4th May 2017
Here for the gear

Tube Tech CL2A - Fixed vs manual question

Hello,

Looking for some enlightenments regarding my Tubetech CL2A attack & release times.

According to the manual, the "fixed" setting is supposed to be attack 3ms & release 60ms. So something close should be reproduced in "manual" mode with the attack & release fully counter-clockwise, right? (the specs in the manual say attack goes from 3ms>60ms & release from 60ms>2s). Yet, if I print a percussive / transient information like a snare with both settings, and a ratio of 10:1 (aiming at 4-5dB GR on the VU, even if I suspect a few more )
- on the "fixed" mode, I get a nice rounded attack and a nice enhanced sustain
- on the "manual" mode, I get a poppy attack and almost no sustain.

So for people owning a CL2A (maybe a CL1B too), could you try this and/or share your own results / experience with such a comparison?

Please note that it has this same behavior on both channels (calibrated by a tech last year because of a threshold difference between both channels).

Thanks a lot for your help
Old 4th May 2017
Lives for gear

Sorry I can't help, but my CL2A does exactly the same as yours. For settings with these kind of attack/release times I also prefer the fixed mode.
Old 5th May 2017
Here for the gear

Ok, for present and future owners of the CL2A (guess it's also the case for CL1B), I share the answer:

"When it is working in the fixed mode, no timing circuit is involved and attack/release time is determined by the inherent constants of the opto element.
When manual mode is selected, there are two timing systems involved: the timing from the sidechain and from the opto element.
The timing circuit is faster than the opto element and this can lead to overshooting.
This of course depends of the ratio control and the amount of compression.
But with a high ratio, fast attack and a high amount of compression, it will overshoot.
So you can’t get the same behaviour in manual as in fixed."

I appreciate when manufacturers give fast and precise answers, so kudos to Tubetech's support
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search