The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ergonomic Desk Chair recommendations? Headphone Amps
Old 30th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Ergonomic Desk Chair recommendations?

Hi GS,

As a preface I'm relatively young, but have been experiencing back pain so I am looking to invest some $$$ into an ergonomic desk chair. Unfortunately I sit working (intermittently) for 8-12 hours a day some weeks everyday. I am going to try some SteelCase chairs tomorrow and have experienced a hermonmiller Aeron at a local studio. (which was great) However, I am looking for more recommendations/experiences.

Last relevant post was in 2008 so I thought an update couldn't hurt.

Also, if spending a G on a chair is crazy to you feel free to say so and let me know which chair you recommend.

Best,

elgee
Old 30th April 2017
Lives for gear

Try out a lot. But for back pain, I find a lot of time it's not only the chair (or the chair is only a partial solution) but the position of your monitor. Play with heights and angles on that -- and if possible, mount monitors on a adjustable arms so you can get them in better positions.
A good chair is well worth spending money on; my current chair is the same one I've used for nearly 20 years (it's getting retired soon though due to wearing out and I'm on the hunt again.)

The other thing is "Aerons" and similar are "fitted" chairs. Make sure you get one sized for you. Though they are adjustable, things like where the thigh support ends or how high (vertically) the lumbar support is located is determined by each model-size.
Old 30th April 2017
Gear Guru

I love my Aeron.

I think the adjustability of a chair is extremely important. No sitting position is good for you if you are in it all day. Being able to mix it up is what prevents problems. The Aeron has all these up and down forward and back things and I use them, I don't just 'set' the chair once and keep it that way.
Old 30th April 2017
Lives for gear

While a good chair is important I'd also look at doing some exercises to improve your core/back strength. Yoga and Pilates are great for this. Also make sure your posture is good and try to take regular breaks.
Old 30th April 2017
Over the last 35 years, I've tried a number of task chairs. Only a few have seats that adjust high enough for me to reach the controls at the top of the modules on my console. Draft chairs sit much higher, but they don't have the tilt feature. Once I switched to a chair with the taller seat height, some of my back issues went away.

The IKEA FLINTAN / NOMINELL chair has worked out quite well for me. It's much better than some of the more expensive chairs I bought in the past. Despite its low price, it's a really good chair.

FLINTAN / NOMINELL Swivel chair with armrests - gray - IKEA

My mentor, Chess Studio legend Malcolm Chisholm told me that the most important piece of gear in the control room is a comfortable chair.
Old 30th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
it's not only the chair (or the chair is only a partial solution) but the position of your monitor.
I hadn't thought of moving my monitor but that is definitely a smart consideration. Thanks much, Good luck on your chair hunt as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I love my Aeron.

I think the adjustability of a chair is extremely important. No sitting position is good for you if you are in it all day. Being able to mix it up is what prevents problems. The Aeron has all these up and down forward and back things and I use them, I don't just 'set' the chair once and keep it that way.
I think I will try out another Aeron during my round up. I'm close to SF and I've noticed a lot of liquidations that have brand new ergo chairs for great prices. Appreciate the review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
While a good chair is important I'd also look at doing some exercises to improve your core/back strength. Yoga and Pilates are great for this.
At this point I'm willing to try almost anything I've been working out and stretching but I will look into the yoga route. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Powell View Post
Over the last 35 years, I've tried a number of task chairs. Only a few have seats that adjust high enough for me to reach the controls at the top of the modules on my console. Draft chairs sit much higher, but they don't have the tilt feature. Once I switched to a chair with the taller seat height, some of my back issues went away.
The IKEA FLINTAN / NOMINELL chair
Real good point about the chair height. The chair I am getting rid of had to be at the highest setting for me to be able to play my synths, twiddle knobs comfortably. I live close to an IKEA so I will definitely check out that model. Thanks for the input.
Old 30th April 2017
Lives for gear

Forget the Aeron. The Carl Tatz Phantom eChair is the way to go. Smaller footprint, lighter, more and better adjustments and in my experience more ergonomic. It's also better looking and requires zero tools to assemble. I took a big risk buying mine, since it was brand new with zero useful reviews and no place to try one out. But having sat in Aerons for countless sessions and being in a smaller room I knew it wasn't for me, so I took a leap of faith and was greatly rewarded.

The chair does its job - when I'm working it dissapears, not drawing any attention to itself. I feel great after long sessions, especially my lower back, and my legs never have their circulation cut off.

When I work in a room with an Aeron today, it feels super clunky!
Old 30th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
Forget the Aeron. The Carl Tatz Phantom eChair is the way to go.
Otherwise known as the virtu C1200M chair from Crown Seating designed by Steven Knight originally for the dental market. You can find the chair for cheaper if you look under its original name (though its MSRP will look ridiculously high -- but that's standard for the furniture industry.)

(Tatz really does like to rebrand stuff)

Last edited by pentagon; 30th April 2017 at 09:38 PM..
Old 30th April 2017
Lives for gear

Yup, mine came in a box labeled as such when it delivered to me. Doesn't change anything though - it's an excellent product! And once you add the armrests, the price difference is negligible.
Old 30th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I love my Aeron.
Me too!
I also have the cheaper Mirra which is great as well.
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Powell View Post

The IKEA FLINTAN / NOMINELL chair has worked out quite well for me. It's much better than some of the more expensive chairs I bought in the past. Despite its low price, it's a really good chair.

FLINTAN / NOMINELL Swivel chair with armrests - gray - IKEA

My mentor, Chess Studio legend Malcolm Chisholm told me that the most important piece of gear in the control room is a comfortable chair.
Ordered one as well! Without trying... How is the tilting mechanism for a guy weighting some 75 Kilos ( 165 pounds )?

Matti
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

I love the Carl Tatz chair!
Its so comfortable....
I could not find the crown branded chair for much cheaper....
Old 2nd May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
Ordered one as well! Without trying... How is the tilting mechanism for a guy weighting some 75 Kilos ( 165 pounds )?

Matti
I'm quite a few kilos bigger than you and the chair tilts great for me.
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Thank you, SIR!

Matti
Old 3rd May 2017
Gear Maniac

Pretty happy with Mirra 2 full optional. I find it more comfy and better done than th Aeron.
Old 4th May 2017
Lives for gear

The gesture version with the lumbar support is amazing if you tend to move a lot or sit in different positions like I do.
Old 4th May 2017
After finishing mixing my 1st album I realized quickly how my $40 ikea chair wouldn't cut it. sitting on pillows didn't help either. I've had my Aeron for about 8 yrs (bought used). had to replace the hydraulic cylinder earlier this year. the aeron's are way cheaper now, I'd snag one with as many options as you can afford.
Old 25th December 2017
Lives for gear

that stealth chair is on several websites and from what I see it's about $100 or so cheaper. is that 100% the same thing?
Old 25th December 2017
Gear Nut

Aeron. Back pain is so much better now. Only thing is the armrests sometimes slide out of position.
Old 27th September 2018
Gear Head

Anyone try Secretlabs Omega or Titan and DX Racer? I know they're more for gaming but wondered how they are for studio use. The head rest is high so I'm worried it may be a reflecting point. Thoughts on that?
Old 28th September 2018
Lives for gear

A headrest is a no-go for the studio.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search