The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Accuton, ATC midrange quality Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 25th April 2017
Here for the gear

Accuton, ATC midrange quality

Can anyone comment on Accuton drivers, particularly their midrange? Their C173-6-090 6.5" midrange goes for $827 each on Madisound. They seem to be used in high end audio in the consumer market but I've never seen them used in studio monitors. I've read that the midrange is very accurate, detailed and lacks coloration. A few people have compared them to the ATC midrange. I was wondering if they are that good, why they are not used in studio gear. Perhaps its audiophile hype? Has anyone had a chance to A/B them with the ATC mid? Any info is greatly appreciated as it is hard to find. Thanks.
Old 27th April 2017
Here for the gear

If you haven't already, you might want to ask this question on forums dedicated to audio DIY.

EDIT:

$827 per driver is mighty expensive. I shudder to think what the fully assembled retail price would be.

Last edited by Karuba; 27th April 2017 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: price
Old 28th April 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks, I'll try doing that.
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

All things being equal (and that's a best possibility situation) a 6.5" midrange and a 3" midrange (ATC) will never sound the same. Pointless comparison other than seeking validation against a highly regarded midrange.
Crossover points need to be different; wavelength functions vs voicecoil and cone will be different. All around pointless. On a two way or three way system, it'd be more important to compare performance/design of the whole system.
Old 28th April 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
All things being equal (and that's a best possibility situation) a 6.5" midrange and a 3" midrange (ATC) will never sound the same. Pointless comparison other than seeking validation against a highly regarded midrange.
Crossover points need to be different; wavelength functions vs voicecoil and cone will be different. All around pointless. On a two way or three way system, it'd be more important to compare performance/design of the whole system.
I appreciate your response and input. I get what you're saying, that the entire system and all of its variables judged together only makes it impossible to determine an answer to how you perceived my question. However, what I was asking was more along the lines of, if one were to have an Accuton midrange driver next to an ATC midrange driver, no cabinet, crossover, no other drivers etc., would one retrieve more information from the signal provided to it than the other? I also understand that probably no one has experienced such a comparison but I figured I'd ask anyway. In addition, I don't believe what I'm asking is invalid because in order to get a grasp on any single component, it must be isolated and analyzed on its own as well as in a situation where it works with other components.
Old 5th June 2018
Lives for gear

I know, it's an old thread.. but over at diyaudio.com I am doing a group-buy for accuton drivers with 30% discount if I can gather one or two more people.
thought I would post it here and see if potential buyers are around. drop me a line via PN please, if so
Old 7th June 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Membranophone View Post
Can anyone comment on Accuton drivers, particularly their midrange? Their C173-6-090 6.5" midrange goes for $827 each on Madisound. They seem to be used in high end audio in the consumer market but I've never seen them used in studio monitors. I've read that the midrange is very accurate, detailed and lacks coloration. A few people have compared them to the ATC midrange. I was wondering if they are that good, why they are not used in studio gear. Perhaps its audiophile hype? Has anyone had a chance to A/B them with the ATC mid? Any info is greatly appreciated as it is hard to find. Thanks.
I've heard the Accuton's a lot over the past decade as the national distributor lives in my city and used the ceramic drivers in his custom-designed loudspeakers. To be honest, I never rated them, although I was in a minority on this. To me, they sounded dead and opaque, with all the negative virtues (i.e., they didn't shout and had no obvious colourations - other than what I heard as "deadness"). To be honest, they bored the hell out of me. I remember listening to a three-way with Accuton mid and tweeter, and a Cabasse woofer, playing MJ's "Billie Jean" and wondering where the momentum and drive had gone. Now, it's quite possible that there were shortcomings in the design implementation but there were other designs by this distributorwhich used Raven ribbons (he was also the distributor for Raven) and I though they were light-years ahead in openness and transparency. My feeling is that the ATC's midrange will also show the Accuton a clean pair of heels although I've never compared the two.
Old 7th June 2018
Lives for gear

I had the C173-6-090 in a custom 3 way DEQX based system for years and
when properly implemented they were very revealing....
My system certainly did not feel cold or dead and I mastered hundreds of records
on it...
I would say this driver does stand in the camp of clinical but when mated with
the right tweeter it is magic. (I used the RAAL OEM ribbon)
Old 9th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
I've heard the Accuton's a lot over the past decade as the national distributor lives in my city and used the ceramic drivers in his custom-designed loudspeakers. To be honest, I never rated them, although I was in a minority on this. To me, they sounded dead and opaque, with all the negative virtues (i.e., they didn't shout and had no obvious colourations - other than what I heard as "deadness"). To be honest, they bored the hell out of me. I remember listening to a three-way with Accuton mid and tweeter, and a Cabasse woofer, playing MJ's "Billie Jean" and wondering where the momentum and drive had gone. Now, it's quite possible that there were shortcomings in the design implementation but there were other designs by this distributorwhich used Raven ribbons (he was also the distributor for Raven) and I though they were light-years ahead in openness and transparency. My feeling is that the ATC's midrange will also show the Accuton a clean pair of heels although I've never compared the two.
Funny thing, the very first song played on my ATC ASL 20s was Billie Jean. It felt like I was hearing this song for the very first time, I couldn't believe how engaging and fun it was, my jaw dropped, and I'm not exaggerating one bit, never heard something so close to perfection. However, bad productions are really, really terrible through this monitors, they reveal everything.
Old 10th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Membranophone View Post
My hifi setup consists of a pair of ASW Magadis speakers; these are German hi-end speakers that employ 2x 130 mm Accuton's on either side - some pics attached. And in my studio, which is located in the same space just 4 meters away from the ASW's, there's a pair of ATC 50 ASL pro's.

In my experience the mid-range of both ATC's and Accuton's is indeed alike, in the sense that there is lots of detail and clarity on either side. Both brands maintain their own distinct character though. The way the are set up in the Magadis, the double Accuton's: they are more sparkly than the ATC's, portraying the details more forward. I can't speak for that particular Accuton C173-6-090 though. You are welcome to come and have a listen if you're ever in Belgium.

The ASW's are for sale btw, as you can see from the pics they don't fit my living room anymore since moving house and are now crammed around my desk.
Attached Thumbnails
Accuton, ATC midrange quality-03.jpg   Accuton, ATC midrange quality-04.jpg   Accuton, ATC midrange quality-05.jpg   Accuton, ATC midrange quality-07.jpg  
Old 10th June 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
Funny thing, the very first song played on my ATC ASL 20s was Billie Jean. It felt like I was hearing this song for the very first time, I couldn't believe how engaging and fun it was, my jaw dropped, and I'm not exaggerating one bit, never heard something so close to perfection. However, bad productions are really, really terrible through this monitors, they reveal everything.
If you think "Billie Jean" sounds good, try "Bad" as well. The difference between the "Thriller" and "Bad" tracks on my "The Essential Michael Jackson" collection is very obvious. FAR more immediacy and drive on the latter.

Last edited by John Galt; 10th June 2018 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: forgot the second quotation mark
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search