The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lush, smooth mic pre - 2 ch Vocals Flea 47 ef12 Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Lush, smooth mic pre - 2 ch Vocals Flea 47 ef12

I was thinking of the new Locomotive pre, the Sonic Farms creamer plus, etc.

Also, need to good DIs for keyboards.

Not looking for thick - looking for lush and smooth - there is a difference.

THANKS.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Gordon Model 5.

Great on Voacals and when set to High-Z the input impdance is 10 Mega-Ohm and perfect for keyboards as well.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Is the Gordon 5 Lush? Or is it slightly euphonic but mostly clean?
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear
Hendyamps...
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

On the list for sure. I was wondering how it would compare to the new Locomotive Pre. Are they in the same ballpark sonically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
Hendyamps...
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear
I can only speak for the Creamer Plus as I had and sold it to fund my current Hendyamps Channel Strip and I am extremely glad I did! Don't get me wrong the Creamer Plus is a wonderful box with lushness for days on end but my Hendyamps pre combines lush with detail. The Creamer Plus is detailed but slightly less in comparison to my ear. Hendyamps makes a number of pres, give Chris a call and explain to him the sound you seek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
On the list for sure. I was wondering how it would compare to the new Locomotive Pre. Are they in the same ballpark sonically?
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

I can offer that the Edwards Audio LE-10 is lush and smooth. I use it and I sell it as well. Excellent California sound.

I use it with FLEA 47 and FLEA 12.

Edwards Audio Research | Tube Mic Preamp
Old 6th May 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
I was thinking of the new Locomotive pre, the Sonic Farms creamer plus, etc.
Also, need to good DIs for keyboards.
Not looking for thick - looking for lush and smooth - there is a difference.
THANKS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
I can only speak for the Creamer Plus as I had and sold it to fund my current Hendyamps Channel Strip and I am extremely glad I did! Don't get me wrong the Creamer Plus is a wonderful box with lushness for days on end but my Hendyamps pre combines lush with detail. The Creamer Plus is detailed but slightly less in comparison to my ear..
At this point it's a matter of taste. Joe Chiccarelli, for example, won't use anything but solid state pre's on vocals. But he uses our 2DI4 on bass all the time. Rafa Sardina (12 Grammies) uses a C+ on vocals a lot. Jack Douglas, known for his Aerosmith Grammies, uses a Berliner on vocals and a C+ on acoustic instruments. And those 2 pres are his go to's.

And our Silk Road is even more detailed (and less colored).

So that's why we also have more than one pre (for folks who have heard only one). Plus the choice of microphones becomes critical. Creamer Plus, for example, doesn't like extremely colored tube mics because it adds more on top of it. But coloration helps cut through crowded mixes.
But Berliner is much smoother and a bit more detailed -- which is sometimes what one needs. Especially when doing music with a lot of "air".
Old 6th May 2017
Gear Addict

A Flea 47 into a Mercury V76m is pretty lush and smooth and can help make the Flea 47 more suitable for female vox than when paired with the usual offerings from Neve etc.
Old 7th May 2017
SEED78
Fearn VT1?
Old 7th May 2017
Lives for gear

Of course on can hardly better the lush sound of the John Hardy Sony Classical edition. This is also known as the Jensen Twin Servo 990 Mic Preamp 2-Channel.

Two channel with 18-60 dB in 2 dB steps.

Truly aristocratic sound with lush finish.
Old 12th May 2017
Here for the gear
I've been using my recently acquired Sonic Farm Creamer + with my Flea 47, as well as other mics, and it consistently drops my jaw. It wins over my Redd 47 clone, my TG2, my Rupert Neve 511s, my Phoenix DRS 8 and my LA-610 often, though I don't spend hours and hours comparing them. I go with my gut, and if it sounds wrong, I try something else until it sound right. I like the versatility of the C+ personally. I can run mixes or synth instruments through the line-ins. I LOVE the EQ (fat and air) switches. You know what though....... It's ALL SUBJECTIVE! Your milage may vary, so the only TRUE advice I can give anyone is to test some and keep the one you like the most. I don't think you could possibly go wrong with a Sonic Farm product. I can change my settings on the C+ to do EVERYTHING I need it for, because it just has so many freakin' settings, and they are all really really good. You won't find too many products for the money that are so well crafted and thought out and musical as the C+ is. Boris and Zoran helped me choose the right product, were very responsive, and those guys aren't some mega corporation raking in millions while delivering you sub-par parts put together in a sweatshop on the backs of hungry, underpaid Chinese folks. They are paying their bills like we are and delivering us the fruits of their labour. Thanks guys!
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

For our most critical demos on high end Telefunken U47s, 251s, C12s etc we use the Tube Tech MP2A- that works very well for smooth and lush without being the least bit dark. Be worth a try?

Brad
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

I've always wanted the sonic farm silkworm, missed my chance at a used one the other week
Old 13th May 2017
Lives for gear

Did I mention that have the Locomotive Pre and it is awesome! Though there are many great choices. I was hoping to check out the Undertone 4 channel - but it has taken so long. The tube tech referenced above is great as well.
Old 13th May 2017
Lives for gear

Accidental double post!
Old 13th May 2017
SEED78
Tell us more about the Locomotive, not many users on here. Is it characterful?
Old 13th May 2017
Lives for gear

It has a lot of character. It allows you to saturate the sound quite a bit depending on how you set the gain controls. It would not be my first choice for a clean pre. It already starts sweet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search