The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Burl B2 Bomber ADC for Summing 2-Bus? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Head

Burl B2 Bomber ADC for Summing 2-Bus?

Hi there!
I don't know if my question is good, but I'm looking for Burl B2 ADC for color and summing 2 Bus (better headroom because analog).
What do you think and who use the Burl for that?
In fact:
- I mix In the Box, and my thought is routed all stem from PT aux (Kick, Bass, Guitar, Vox, etc...) to the out 3/4 from my Prism Lyra, to the Burl B2 ADC XLR, and print the mix on Aux (audio file from PT) to the return AES/EBU of the Lyra (the out of Burl).

This thing to have a better headroom process, and a good color with the input transformer from Burl...
What do you think?
I know a lot of person talk about the summing for better headroom on their faders, etc...
This config doesn't use hardware comp or eq etc.

Thanks!
Old 21st April 2017
Deleted User
Do it! About ten years later it's still the best at it.
Old 4th May 2017
Gear Head

Thanks! Nobody? :up:
Old 4th May 2017
Lives for gear

I think that answer is as positive as can get no ? I too have wondered in a itb 2buss situation how it performs!
Old 4th May 2017
Gear Head

Thanks a lot!
In fact, I would like to use in standalone 2bus (without other hardware)... don't know if it's enough or useful?
Old 4th May 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostudio View Post
Thanks a lot!
In fact, I would like to use in standalone 2bus (without other hardware)... don't know if it's enough or useful?
Hmmm, I don't think so. If you're gonna send it through a round of conversion, I would at least add analog summing or a preamp or something.
Old 6th May 2017
Gear Guru

kinda pointless to run a mix out and back into a convertor for that.
Old 7th May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
kinda pointless to run a mix out and back into a convertor for that.
Generally agree with this, except that the Burl is not just any converter IMO. I've used Prism, RME, Lavry, Metric Halo, Lynx, SSL and Burl converters and the Burl actually does allow for tonal "choices" unlike the others.

Check the product page where they specifically cite using the B2 ADC for Mix-down and Mastering. Also note their own description of choosing to send "hotter" signals which affects the tone. https://burlaudio.com/products/b2-bomber-adc

Best

Ted
Old 7th May 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedma View Post
Generally agree with this, except that the Burl is not just any converter IMO. I've used Prism, RME, Lavry, Metric Halo, Lynx, SSL and Burl converters and the Burl actually does allow for tonal "choices" unlike the others.

Check the product page where they specifically cite using the B2 ADC for Mix-down and Mastering. Also note their own description of choosing to send "hotter" signals which affects the tone. https://burlaudio.com/products/b2-bomber-adc

Best

Ted
I use a 24x32 Mothership and B2 for mix down every day.
The B2 is a nice unit,colors things a little,(gets a little thicker/darker/rounds transients if you hit it harder,hit it too hard and it sounds like sh*t)but imo it's not gonna be an amazing "wow" moment.
I still think it's a waste.
I would at least throw a nice compressor into the chain.
Old 7th May 2017
Deleted User
Certainly "headroom" is not a reason to try it.
Old 7th May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I use a 24x32 Mothership and B2 for mix down every day.
The B2 is a nice unit,colors things a little,(gets a little thicker/darker/rounds transients if you hit it harder,hit it too hard and it sounds like sh*t)but imo it's not gonna be an amazing "wow" moment.
I still think it's a waste.
I would at least throw a nice compressor into the chain.
That's fair.
Old 7th May 2017
Gear Guru

An Obsidian comp and B2 chain wouldn't suck.
Old 7th May 2017
Lives for gear

Sounds like you're trying to do something similar to this..

https://youtu.be/6GNMTl3Xeg0

I'd ageee placing something even more cost effective than an obsidian like a serpent audio SB4001 or TK BC1 might be an alternative. The Lyra DA/AD are amazing. But I won't bash you. Do your thing man.
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Never tried the Burl. I was happy with my SPL Mixdream. Very good sounding (lots of youtube clips, comparisons…) and tons of options (switchable inserts, mono switchable channels... a switchable transistor, a switchable stereo widening and a switchable limiter on the masterbus. Now I got a small console, so I am selling it now pretty cheap in the classifieds.

What really makes an audible difference is, what's in your master bus chain, at the end of your summing mixer.
And of course, some analog bus processing.
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

You can hear the Burl B2 ADC used here on the 2 bus.
Old 5th June 2017
Gear Nut

I used to have two B2s for this purpose (B2 DAC into an ADC). I loved the color the Burl ADC gave my tracks and was so happy with this for over a year. But then I decided to move overseas and had to go completely ITB for simplicity. I sold the Burls, invested in UAD and other plugins to color my mixbuss and haven't really missed them at all. I found the Burls add great color and extension to the audio, but my purely ITB mixes have more depth, punch, and detail than when they were going through the B2s.

I agree with RoundBadge- throw something else in the chain, the $2k and damage you're doing by converting your signal isn't worth it for just the Burl flavor.

But I should say- when I settle down some more and my workflow involves more tracking (right now it's only mixing) I absolutely plan on getting burl AD conversion again. Nothing comes close to Burl conversion when it comes to musicality! If you do a bit of tracking then the Burl would be ideal to have around.
Old 25th July 2017
Gear Head
Okay, I just got a B2 and must say that it's still an amazing unit in 2017 and bares all types of revelation to those who seek it with proper skill. It's a bit tricky to really capture the essence of what it does, but there's a big difference between running a mix through a B2 and mixing through a B2.

Depending on the level of your mixing chops YMMV, but I can say this.....The B2 can be a game changing unit to someone who has at least a hardware mix bus chain ( Compression & EQ ) give or take a summing mixer.

What's crazy is that you don't really notice the digital "sound" until you hear something else then you realize that you've gotten used to hearing digital so it's become normal....But there's more.

For me the B2 has really elevated my sound, I can feel it, I can hear it. Out of my apollo I'm running through a summing mixer, compressor, and EQ then into the B2....I have indeed had many "WOW" moments since I've added it to my mix bus chain!

If there's anyone out there interested in one...... You can't truly know what it does until you get one and try it for yourself...No amount of digging will provide you with a all you need to make the purchase. Most examples are running mixes through the unit....That's totally different from mixing through one. I agree with what everyone above said....It's worth having some other pieces of mix bus hardware before getting an ADC (B2 in this case )...That's the last in the chain......
Old 28th July 2017
Gear Maniac
Great color in your post. Thank you!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search