The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Patching My Studio
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Head

Patching My Studio

Hey All,

Prior to this post my studio setup was simple because it was 2 joined rooms where I patched all my outboard into two Samson S-Patch TRS patchbays. I would connect an XLR cable to the back of my preamps rather than patching them in, and the rest of my outboard gear was patched and it all worked great.

However, my studio has expanded to 4 rooms:

1. Mix room (no recording will be going on there)
2. Live room (contains a 24 in/8 return snake box)
3. ISO Booth 1 (contains 8 in/4 return snake box)
4. ISO Booth 2 (contains 8 in/no returns)

I have 2 BF Apollo 16's for conversion, 32 preamps, and 16 channels of outboard.

I had a 4 channel headphone amp (attached to the returns of the live room snake box), and a 6 channel headamp6 in the mix room.

I attached a schematic of how I believe I can patch everything into 5 Samson S-Patch 48-point patchbays. Please let me know if what I've put together seems to be appropriate and will get the job done in terms of optimum workflow and functionality.

I know this would be easier if I simply upgraded to 96-point TT DB25 patch bays, but I do not have the budget to accommodate all of that, unfortunately. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Zak Kimball Studio - Patch Bays.pdf (36.1 KB, 47 views) File Type: pdf Patch Bays.pdf (36.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Looks a bit like my layout. I have a lot more outboard and two integrated consoles (and more bays), and fewer mic lines coming into the control room. I would consider how the signal flows through the pathway normals, so you'd have to do the minimal of patching for your workflow.

My layout is generally like this:
(1)Mic lines - preamp inputs - (2) preamp outputs - converter inputs - (3) converter outputs - returns/outboard inputs/monitor inputs - (4)outboard outputs/synth lines/etc - spare converter inputs

I would also consider which of the mic tie lines you would use the most, and how many need to be normaled to preamps/converters.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf patch 1.pdf (37.0 KB, 54 views)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search