The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buss compressor for rock that would compliment NEVE style compressor
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Buss compressor for rock that would compliment NEVE style compressor

Looking for opinions on an analog buss compressor for rock mixes that also plays nice with a Neve style compressor (I have portico 2 MBP that will also reside on my mix buss).

Does anyone use a NEVE and SSL style compressors on the mix buss together? Curious how they like the combo. Is there another general flavor of compression I should explore for rock?

I almost pulled the trigger on a Obsidian today but thought I'd get some opinions first.

Thanks!
Old 19th April 2017
The Audio Scape GSSL Comp just blew my mind for the price. I have had one about a year and run it with a A Designs Nail Buss Comp and its the business for rock drums. Last week, decommissioning an old studio they had an Original SSL G-384 buss comp, I had a chance to take it home for the night and did a couple of quick A/B comparisons to my Audio Scape, The SSL sounded tired and not as bright as the Audio Scape, and with the Audio Scape units around $700 versus the G-384 which I quickly sold for $2600, I did NOT hear $1900 difference in better sound.
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrymetalguy View Post
The Audio Scape GSSL Comp just blew my mind for the price. I have had one about a year and run it with a A Designs Nail Buss Comp and its the business for rock drums. Last week, decommissioning an old studio they had an Original SSL G-384 buss comp, I had a chance to take it home for the night and did a couple of quick A/B comparisons to my Audio Scape, The SSL sounded tired and not as bright as the Audio Scape, and with the Audio Scape units around $700 versus the G-384 which I quickly sold for $2600, I did NOT hear $1900 difference in better sound.
Very interesting. I will have to check that out. I usually figure I'm going to fork over some significant cash for my analog stuff but finding a reasonably priced piece is always nice!
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Just purchased it. At that price I couldn't resist giving it a shot!
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Head

Comparing to stam audio 4000?the pros against audio scape?
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Addict

Mixdoctor or Mixwell or some of those youtube guys demoed a wes compressor (ssl style) and said this is the best of that sort. A crazy thing: it is controlable from your DAW via usb.
Old 29th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by fender4593 View Post
Just purchased it. At that price I couldn't resist giving it a shot!
So What do you think? Pretty awesome compressor huh?
Old 30th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
So What do you think? Pretty awesome compressor huh?
OMG I can't say enough good things about it!

It really is one of those boxes that just makes things sound better. I mean I have no other ssl reference so it may just be an ssl compressor thing but whatever going on with it I really like it.

I've spent the entire day going back through some older mixes and putting it in my chain on the master buss and with very little effort it's making everything sound just more musical to me. I'm just touching stuff with 2-3 Gain reduction and then getting a few more db reduction out of my portico MBp and loving it. It does something really musical to the low end that I just couldn't get with the portico alone. Tighter And Fuller bottom end. That's really wear I hear it. And as you said the drums just sit better to my ear. Great snare snap.

Thanks for the advice! This thing is a sleeper! And at that price. I mean it's a no brainer.
Old 30th April 2017
Lives for gear

I love mine too - had it for a few months and it continues to impress me. When I read your first post I was going to recommend the Audioscape, then I scrolled down and saw you already got one
Old 1st May 2017
Yup, A total sleeper piece. I think its awesome to see a piece a hardware that hangs with boxes costing 5 times more. Not something that happens much anymore because manufacturers know what "the other guy" is making and tend to keep products of similar quality at a similar price. Another item I found that is quite the sleeper are these Russian made ribbon mics that totally hang with my Royer R121.. Found em on ebay, popped on one for $300, got it and was floored by its tone. So much I immediately purchased a second unit.
Old 2nd May 2017
P3EX.
Definitely hangs with far more costly units!
Old 2nd May 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Another item I found that is quite the sleeper are these Russian made ribbon mics that totally hang with my Royer R121.. Found em on ebay, popped on one for $300, got it and was floored by its tone. So much I immediately purchased a second unit.
Thanks, just ordered mine.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search