The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buss compressor for rock that would compliment NEVE style compressor
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Buss compressor for rock that would compliment NEVE style compressor

Looking for opinions on an analog buss compressor for rock mixes that also plays nice with a Neve style compressor (I have portico 2 MBP that will also reside on my mix buss).

Does anyone use a NEVE and SSL style compressors on the mix buss together? Curious how they like the combo. Is there another general flavor of compression I should explore for rock?

I almost pulled the trigger on a Obsidian today but thought I'd get some opinions first.

Thanks!
Old 6 days ago
The Audio Scape GSSL Comp just blew my mind for the price. I have had one about a year and run it with a A Designs Nail Buss Comp and its the business for rock drums. Last week, decommissioning an old studio they had an Original SSL G-384 buss comp, I had a chance to take it home for the night and did a couple of quick A/B comparisons to my Audio Scape, The SSL sounded tired and not as bright as the Audio Scape, and with the Audio Scape units around $700 versus the G-384 which I quickly sold for $2600, I did NOT hear $1900 difference in better sound.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrymetalguy View Post
The Audio Scape GSSL Comp just blew my mind for the price. I have had one about a year and run it with a A Designs Nail Buss Comp and its the business for rock drums. Last week, decommissioning an old studio they had an Original SSL G-384 buss comp, I had a chance to take it home for the night and did a couple of quick A/B comparisons to my Audio Scape, The SSL sounded tired and not as bright as the Audio Scape, and with the Audio Scape units around $700 versus the G-384 which I quickly sold for $2600, I did NOT hear $1900 difference in better sound.
Very interesting. I will have to check that out. I usually figure I'm going to fork over some significant cash for my analog stuff but finding a reasonably priced piece is always nice!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrymetalguy View Post
Just purchased it. At that price I couldn't resist giving it a shot!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Comparing to stam audio 4000?the pros against audio scape?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Mixdoctor or Mixwell or some of those youtube guys demoed a wes compressor (ssl style) and said this is the best of that sort. A crazy thing: it is controlable from your DAW via usb.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search