The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EQ with attitude and color Equalisers (HW)
Old 18th April 2017
Gear Head

EQ with attitude and color

EQ wise, I am using a D-Bax and Hammer on my 2 Bus. More recently I have been running mixes through a Overstayer M-A-S as well.

So, I am looking for a new tool. I am leaning towards a Hendy MA or Retro 2A3. Has anyone had both of these in their studio? Any guidance to other boxes I should be considering? I am not looking for anything surgical, more broad stroke enhancements.

Thanks!
Old 18th April 2017
Gear Addict

Curve Bender, Massive Passive, both are color as fu**.
Old 18th April 2017
Gear Head

Amazing that with all of this technological innovation, all paths lead me back to Abbey Road!
Old 18th April 2017
M P
A Assive
S
S
I
V
E
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Head

Another unit that doesn't seem to get a lot of attention in the Aurora GT4-2. I use the GTQC on a lot of different program material. Great on Vox and Bass Guitar. I would be very curious to see if the GT4-2 is in the same league as the Curve Bender.
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Maniac

The Curve Bender is just beautiful, and full of color, pricey, but worth every penny, It's a lovely piece of gear that you can't go wrong with buying.
Old 19th April 2017
This week I've looked inside a curve bender at my friends repair shop, and I must say for what they sell them at there's nothing really in that box, i wonder what makes them sound so great?
Although it does sound beautiful....
kinda reminds me of inside a shadow hill mc
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

most inductor based eqs will do the trick...
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnius View Post
Another unit that doesn't seem to get a lot of attention in the Aurora GT4-2.
I love mine. It is a little hard to use in stereo applications without running some tones through it to even up the sides (if you care). Geoff chose some really tasty frequencies and the thing has serious shaping ability. Great sounding box.
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Head

I appreciate the feedback on the Aurora. Geoff's GTCQ is a work horse for me. The frequencies, transformers, functionality and pedigree of the GT4-2 absolutely have peaked my interest. What other units would you say are in it's peer group?

Last edited by Finnius; 21st April 2017 at 03:26 AM.. Reason: added text
Old 21st April 2017

I'd add the chandler little devils to what's been said above. I needed something with a bit more control so sent them back but a pair for broad brush sweetening mojo would be a cool thing indeed.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am leaning towards a Hendy MA or Retro 2A3. Has anyone had both of these in their studio? Any guidance to other boxes I should be considering? I am not looking for anything surgical, more broad stroke enhancements.
Yes, I had/have both... also the mentioned Massive Passive and the Curve Bender. Out of the four EQs I now work with the Michelangelo and the Curve Bender.

They all have their strenghts and weaknesses, they all can work great for enhancement. With all of them I mostly boost/ed, rarely cut... If you're looking for broad and intuitive enhancement, then the Hendy MA is probably what you're looking for, though it's the only stereo-ganged box of these.
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint View Post
Yes, I had/have both... also the mentioned Massive Passive and the Curve Bender. Out of the four EQs I now work with the Michelangelo and the Curve Bender.

They all have their strenghts and weaknesses, they all can work great for enhancement. With all of them I mostly boost/ed, rarely cut... If you're looking for broad and intuitive enhancement, then the Hendy MA is probably what you're looking for, though it's the only stereo-ganged box of these.
Thanks Miles. I appreciate your advice and perspective. I tried reaching out to Chris Hendy through his website a few days ago, but I don't think my message went through. I will call him later today. I would be psyched to have any of these boxes, just trying to look before I leap. I really took a bath on that MSR 16 I bought in 1992...
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

I'd say the Buzz REQ2.2 as well. With it switchable 5 settings for the transformer it has a way wider range of sounds than anybody really thinks. Choose your transformer setting and EQ. Then change thetransformer setting and see if you don't EQ differently. No one ever talks about this feature. Not many users of this EQ really. Much more versatile than the Pultecs it replaced... which were one trick ponies... that said, when they worked for the source material, they just worked wonderfully.

The Buzz can do broad or surgical, can be clean or have attitude. Very versatile box.

The Michelangelolooks interesting. A tone box for sure, as is the Curve Bender.

If more projects could handle the conversion process in mastering I'd probably have both. For recording and mixing I could see both as a must have.

Enjoy and good luck with your decision.

Silvertone Mastering

Silvertone Mastering
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
most inductor based eqs will do the trick...
Inductors have the least sound...how you make up the gain loss is where the sound comes from... the tubes or the transformers used to do this bring the attitude.

Inductor based EQ's are the only real way to go... IMHO. This is MHO.

Silvertone Mastering
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

...And I have a Buzz Req2.2
In comparison with the other contenders I'd say the Buzz is not the thing that the OP is looking for. It has a bit of a sound but I would not call it "attitude" or "color", awesome tool but more for corrective things, not for enhancement.
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Amazing that with all of this technological innovation, all paths lead me back to Abbey Road!
Not this one: McDSP Filterbank F2. It's hpf and lpf in one plug, with (and this is the big deal) ultra-narrow boost at the hp and lp "edges." Nothing I've seen in analog hardware can do anything close. Try it either in parallel or by itself.

If it has to be hardware, try a Vox wah pedal parked in one spot a la Jorma Kaukonen/Airplane. Again, parallel or alone. It'll lead you back to Wally Heider's.
Old 21st April 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Not this one: McDSP Filterbank F2. It's hpf and lpf in one plug, with (and this is the big deal) ultra-narrow boost at the hp and lp "edges." Nothing I've seen in analog hardware can do anything close. Try it either in parallel or by itself.
[snip]
This is exactly what the little labs VOG does (hpf only)
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev@Circle View Post
This is exactly what the little labs VOG does (hpf only)
I'll check it out -- thanks!

The thing I suggested in my previous post was top of mind due to another recent, somewhat related thread, where I posted THIS.
Old 21st April 2017
Here for the gear
+1 for the Michelangelo over here. I got my hands on one at the end of the last year and don't want to mix without it. I essentially use it to "tone" a record, and it gets things cohesive and adds a vibe really quickly to every tune. It's also a box with a lot of depth/options on how to use it even though the controls are fairly limited...use the vintage switch to kill harsh/digital high end and rebuild it with the high shelf and air, leave vintage off and just boost the air and lows for some nice smiley face EQ, crank up the aggression to get more harmonic saturation and a big low end, and then balance it out with some high end boost...there's lots of places you can take a song and it's very quick to set up and tweak.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev@Circle View Post
I'd add the chandler little devils to what's been said above. I needed something with a bit more control so sent them back but a pair for broad brush sweetening mojo would be a cool thing indeed.
I sent them back too. Different reason.

Quote:
The frequencies, transformers, functionality and pedigree of the GT4-2 absolutely have peaked my interest. What other units would you say are in it's peer group?
I went through a stint where I tried a bunch of EQ's on the stereo bus. I tried the Chandlers, API's (550A's and B's), Avalon, Focusrite Red. Maybe some more I can't remember.

Nothing else hung with the Aurora. I kept the API's (a pair of each). They rock. A little 'narrower' on the two bus. Avalon, some kind of high end phase smear? Chandlers sounded like they were struggling. Tiny controls too.

I have not tried a pair of Neves. I have tried a 3104 recently and that was a nice EQ too. Maybe I would say that is in the same peer group as the Aurora. Both have a 33 Hz too.
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Inductors have the least sound...how you make up the gain loss is where the sound comes from... the tubes or the transformers used to do this bring the attitude.

Inductor based EQ's are the only real way to go... IMHO. This is MHO.

Silvertone Mastering
I would list tubes together with IC or discrete op amp wrt make up gain, not transformers.

However I completely agree with you listing also the transformers wrt attitude.

Am I wrong?

The buzz looks as nice as it costs. The problem is that it is so versatile one forgets it can have attitude. May be it's just me that cannot afford it and try first hand. :'(
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

The Chandler Tone Control EQ has lots of color.
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Head

Thank you everyone for their great insights, and recommendations. There is no other forum on this planet where we can get this level of insight, advice, and guidance from Best In Show Practitioners like GS. I spoke to several companies, slaved over many shoot outs and product demos. Chris Hendy really blew my mind about his process and his sonic viewpoints etc.. and I am excited to move forward with one of his Michelangelo Equalizers. Not, a question of one being better than the other, it's just the better tool for me, and what I need. Thanks Again!!

Last edited by Finnius; 21st April 2017 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: text
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear
Very wise decision! Congrats! You will not be disappointed...

Quote:
Thank you everyone for their great insights, and recommendations. There is no other forum on this planet where we can get this level of insight, advice, and guidance from Best In Show Practitioners like GS. I spoke to several companies, slaved over many shoot outs and product demos. Chris Hendy really blew my mind about his process and his sonic viewpoints etc.. and I am excited to move forward with one of his Michelangelo Equalizers. Not, a question of one being better than the other, it's just the better tool for me, and what I need. Thanks Again!!
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
I sent them back too. Different reason.

I went through a stint where I tried a bunch of EQ's on the stereo bus. I tried the Chandlers, API's (550A's and B's), Avalon, Focusrite Red. Maybe some more I can't remember.

Nothing else hung with the Aurora. I kept the API's (a pair of each). They rock. A little 'narrower' on the two bus. Avalon, some kind of high end phase smear? Chandlers sounded like they were struggling. Tiny controls too.

I have not tried a pair of Neves. I have tried a 3104 recently and that was a nice EQ too. Maybe I would say that is in the same peer group as the Aurora. Both have a 33 Hz too.
@Kronos147, do you have any experience with the GML 8200 against the Aurora? I recognize that the GML is clean, but I'm curious if you would take the Aurora over the 8200 or have both.
Old 23rd April 2017
No ones mentioned the Kush Audio Electra.

Great EQ!
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwazi View Post
@Kronos147, do you have any experience with the GML 8200 against the Aurora? I recognize that the GML is clean, but I'm curious if you would take the Aurora over the 8200 or have both.
Remember, I am a highly opinionated SOB that hates a lot of liked gear, and likes a lot of hated gear.

I tried a modded GML once. The owner believed the outputs on the GML were IC based, and he had his modded to have discrete blocks and Neve tranformers on the outputs. The gain stages in the EQ's were also changed to the discrete blocks. Did it sound the same as a GML? I don't know.

I was super unimpressed.

One more to add to the list of unimpressed was the Speck EQ (500 series, with transformers).
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
Remember, I am a highly opinionated SOB that hates a lot of liked gear, and likes a lot of hated gear.

I tried a modded GML once. The owner believed the outputs on the GML were IC based, and he had his modded to have discrete blocks and Neve tranformers on the outputs. The gain stages in the EQ's were also changed to the discrete blocks. Did it sound the same as a GML? I don't know.

I was super unimpressed.

One more to add to the list of unimpressed was the Speck EQ (500 series, with transformers).
Haha, thank you kindly
Old 25th April 2017
Gear Addict

Softube - Trident A Range EQ extreeeeem color!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search