The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ITB HYBRID: Analog HW on 2 bus vs Summing Mixer
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

ITB HYBRID: Analog HW on 2 bus vs Summing Mixer

Dear High enders, plz entertain this low ender for a bit!!
As the topic mentions:
Confused whether i should splurge on a summing mixer or use that money for an even better analog 2 bus chain.
When upgrading from ITB mixing, where did u experience a greater benefit in quality ?

Summing Mixer with Analog Chain is also an option if the results are strikin.....and the more slutty route!!
Cheers
Old 18th April 2017
Gear Addict
I've researched this quite a bit over the past year and the general consensus seems to be that out of two, a high quality 2-bus chain would give more bang for buck in terms of vibe. However, pairing summing up with a high quality 2-bus chain would be a great option if the budget allowed.
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

Hehe so the more slutty route!!!
Old 18th April 2017
JAT
Lives for gear
Of course the best thing is a full console, although more and more engineers are dumping them for all kinds of reasons.

Next up is a summing mixer attached to lots of great outboard. It can capture much of the "console" sound along with all the problems, the biggest being repeatablity. Important if you the client wants changes or if you are at home revisting last weeks projects and having to reset everything from your cell phone camera.

The whole summing mixer fade is fading and you hear less and less about "separation" etc. advantages. I could never did hear that much difference between analog and digtial mixing the last 5 years or so, if you didn't also attach high quality hardware to the channels. So my vote is "no" to get a better sound than itb mixing.

But having a good (and varied if possible) input chain(s) for tracking is a great substitute for a console. Track through an RND Portico II channel strip or something similiar that is stuffed with high quality circuits. Even a tracking channel assembled from WARM etc. units can supply enough circuits to replicate the feel of a real studio sound. Then double whatever chain you can afford as a stereo buss and mix out through that. Even if you have to start with only a good stereo comp, that provides more sound per buck than a summing mixer, in my experience. Once you have that analog patina on your sound software can handle most of the control and fine-tuned stuff, esp. if you bake on patina on an anlog mix buss.

That is where I spent my money at home, anyway.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

As someone who really likes analog hardware I would prioritize things like this:

1) Tracking gear - Mics, Mic Pres, Compressors, EQs
2) Analog Mix Bus Chain - Compressor and EQ
3) Analog Hardware Inserts - Compressors and EQs
4) Analog Summing Mixer

Start at 1) and work your way down, ideally you end up with all 4.

1) and 3) are somewhat redundant as you can use your tracking gear for mixdown as well.

3) and 4) could flip priority depending on your exact needs.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Outboard gear for the 2 bus and a multichannel ADDA will probably serve both your needs?
I work a lot with HW for mastering but use the same setup for occasional mixing too. Analog summing has benefits, but printing multiple groups back into the DAW and sum digital, too. The HW gear definitely made the bigger diff here.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Milee Flint that is a good idea and what i am leaning most towards and will keep the analog summing till after i have milked the hybrid ITB options entirely.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search