The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Front panel design for tube preamp
Old 16th April 2017
Front panel design for tube preamp

Hey guys,

I'm designing the front panel for my new tube preamp build. Any thoughts on this layout?
Attached Thumbnails
Front panel design for tube preamp-front-panel-design-01-merged.jpg  
Old 16th April 2017
Gear Guru

I like you logo and the layout. The low cut looks like it could be a high boost, or is it a high boost.
Old 16th April 2017
Lives for gear

Looks very nice but if it were mine I'd change two things:

1) I don't like the location of the 1/4 instrument inputs - seems like cables will get in the way of the dials and switches pretty quickly.

2) I would have the legending be very clear as to whether the switches are on/off in their left/right positions

My $0.02!
Old 16th April 2017
First, kudos for doing your market research

Now, on to the panel:

Spacing .. I agree with the comment about the instrument socket for channel 2 being too close to the switches for channel 1. In fact I would go further and say that all the controls are very bunched up in the center. My suggestions
a) to get more space for the controls, move the logo to be above the led and on/off switch (moving these down a bit obviously)
b) consider putting both instrument sockets to the left side with channel labelling. Cables coming into the middle of a device tend to get in the way
c) if you can't/won't move the instruments input sockets to the left, then consider moving them down so that the cables come up into the unit without crossing in front of anything.
d) how about a led indicator for the phantom power?
e) if possible do laser etching for the numbers etc because silver screening just wears off onve people start sticking tape to add markings ... analogue grear is supposed to last! :-)

And while I am re-designing your hard work ... is there an opportunity to add an output attenuator? To allow people to drive the tube circuit but not overload their converters? Not sure if it will make sense for your design.

Love the colours and the look and feel of it. Best of luck!

Last edited by javamad; 16th April 2017 at 03:11 PM..
Old 19th April 2017
Had to make some changes to conform to the screen printer. Which version does everyone prefer now? The one with "Gain" or without?
Attached Thumbnails
Front panel design for tube preamp-front-panel-v1.jpg   Front panel design for tube preamp-front-panel-v2.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search