The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your own recall sheets Spatial Processor Plugins
Old 5th April 2017
Gear Maniac
Your own recall sheets

Hello friends of analog mixing,

how do you handle recall sheets?

Here is what I wish for and am not sure how to get there: something completely digital and custom, something that I can design and composite for my own console and outboard.
Now, 99% of the recall sheets for outboard are available on the internet, yet I'm not sure what's the best way to write on them (unless printing them, of course).
Plus, I need to build a custom recall sheet for my console as it's not available online (Otari Status 18r) and again, I am not sure as to build it with Word, so in a text-shape, or maybe with Excel, or even drawing it with geometrical shapes .. Totally undecided.

How do you get around this kind of need ? Any templates to start from ?

SS
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

Why do you need a recall sheet for the Status? It has snapshot and scene recall. Pretty much every knob, fader, and switch on that board is fully recallable.
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

PDF + adobe acrobat markup using a stylus (tablet). I have all my gear recall sheets in one pdf binder so all I have to do is copy and re-name the binder for each track/project. The binder gets stored with the final print down of each track.

I also sometimes just take pictures (camera phone) and add the shot to the pdf binder. If I have multiple versions of a track (say with different compressor settings), I take a picture of the named track with version number and then a shot of the gear settings.
Old 5th April 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Fire View Post
Why do you need a recall sheet for the Status? It has snapshot and scene recall. Pretty much every knob, fader, and switch on that board is fully recallable.
That's true, but beside that, I also need to store channel list and outboard routing .. And I was hoping for something more graphical and intuitive, does that make any sense?
Old 5th April 2017
Here for the gear

I used to print my recall sheets and store it in a folder, but I switched to marking my sheets digitally and save it in the project file. If you're on a Mac you can just use the stock "Preview" application.
Attached Thumbnails
Your own recall sheets-screen-shot-2017-04-05-22.22.00.jpg  
Old 5th April 2017
I have a Status Console, recall is a breeze on it.

This is how I save a mix.

Use the save snapshot feature on the Otari Status Console.
press save on automation PC running eagle automation (make sure mix is properly named)
Make sure channels/tracks are correctly labeled with console tape strips on console. On the tape strips, make note of any outboard gear used in the mix on the channels it's used on.
Take the console tape strip and physically put it on the the outboard rack..Take a few digital photos of the outboard gear, make sure song title is in the photos...done.

To recall a mix.

Load mix from snapshot file on Otari Status console.
Load mix from Eagle Automation PC (this loads faders and fader moves).
Patch in outboard gear using the notes I made on the console tape strip.
Recall outboard gear using the digital photos.

The console strip tape has lots of important information and I make sure it's all in the photo. Song title, tracks on which channel, which outboard gear is on what track.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search