The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Used SSL AWS 900 vs New SSL XL Desk Consoles
Old 6th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jffmusic View Post
Wow the Custom 75 console looks pretty nice!

Does any one have experience with it? The only problem I see is that is not a console coming from one of the big names and support in the future is not 100% reliable. I mean not sure what could happen in the future with a small company.

Thx.
Gearslutz member Cucaio75 has a new and beautiful Custom 75 console !
I think they are stunning desks.

Never heard anything negative about Custom 75.
By the way, there are a lot of Custom 75 threads on gearslutz.
(Search function)

Cucaio75 is a absolutely nice guy.
Please send him a PM if you have any questions.
You can find him in my friendlist.

I have a great desk in my studio, but if I need at the moment a new one.
Custom 75 ..... definitive !

I'm more a neve-ish than ssl-ish...
Oh, and Custom 75 has a great price-performance ratio.

Hope this helps !

R.
Old 6th April 2017
I was seriously looking at the XL Desk and I loved some of the functionality (the 4 stereo buses) but other stuff I found would work out very expensive .. for example to really get the best from the XL Desk you need to spend 3-4 grand on a full patchbay...

In the end I went hybrid for my new studio(under construction) and got an RND 5060 (which I am loving) and I am now building outboard around it. I don't need 5.1 though.

One thing to consider is that the XL Desk is kind of an experiment and is very tied to the 500 format ... and will appeal to a subset of people. The AWS though is a classic and if you ever want to sell it on .. you will have less problems.

Best of luck with your decision!
Old 7th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Thanks a lot Guys!
Old 7th April 2017
Lives for gear

AWS all the way in my opinion. You get recall, automation, and 24 awesome mixing EQ's.

The XL Desk is nice but for ITB mixing convenience you will hate not having recall on the desk if you use it for stem mixing and such.

I have a Duality and I cannot imagine not having recall, it would be almost not worth having at all without the recall capability for mixing.
Old 7th April 2017
Both SSL mixers are wonderful but they are designed for two different types of studios as well as budget. So your decision should be based on your studio needs if the costs are out of the picture.

The XL mixer is for a studio that does not need a lot of mic pre's. It's designed to record in your DAW and then back to the mixer to use SSL EQ and or your own 500 gear to mix. It is more for a high end project studio who wants to sum your channels through the SSL from your DAW to get that clean punchy character of SSL along with great monitoring and a SSL compressor. Sort of like a bigger API The Box. With only 8 mic pre's built in it is geared to a certain type of studio. I see it as a larger summing mixer with 8 pre's, EQ on some channels and a compressor for added flexibility. Plus good monitoring. For many studios owners on gearslutz it would be a dream come true to step up to the XL mixer.

The AWS series is designed more for pro studios who need lots of mic pre's and dedicated channel strip on each channel with more auxes. Though I would love a SSL 900 series mixer it's an overkill for my studio needs. The XL with at least 8 SSL EQ's would much better fit my studio needs.

I

Last edited by Jason rocks; 7th April 2017 at 03:34 PM..
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jffmusic View Post
Wow the Custom 75 console looks pretty nice!

Does any one have experience with it? The only problem I see is that is not a console coming from one of the big names and support in the future is not 100% reliable. I mean not sure what could happen in the future with a small company.

Thx.
I understand that. Though, a brand new console should have full documents/schematics, should a tech down the line need to work on it.
Old 25th September 2017
Gear Head

OP,
what did you end up getting?
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

I haven't seen a used AWS anywhere for under $50-60k. Where is everybody getting $38,000 as a reference?
Old 19th November 2017
When I was in the market for an AWS I was sold by several SSL maintenance engineers not to touch the new ones with a barge pole. They would only recommend the traditional designs for maintaining. I had also heard a few nasty stories from owners that dissuaded me. It's a shame. I really wanted one and I love the size.

Don't shoot the messenger.
Old 27th January 2019
Here for the gear

XL Desk Owner

Keep your eye out for SSL's promotional deal. I got mine from Jason Koons at Sweetwater loaded with 8 SSL eq's for $20,000. Best buy ever. The console is a beast.
Attached Thumbnails
Used SSL AWS 900 vs New SSL XL Desk-desk.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search