The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Master clock distribution Digital Converters
Old 3rd April 2017
Here for the gear
Master clock distribution

I'd appreciate some guidance from more knowledgeable slutz around proper world clock distribution using BNC cable (I'd like to avoid introduction of a distribution device if possible).

I have the following converters:
- Lavry Blue (2ADs and 1DA)
- 2X Mytek 8DA
- Mytek 8AD
- Lucid 8824 (8AD/DA)

I want to use Lavry as a Master clock. Can I split Lavry WC out using three splitters (ending up with 4 outs), and connecting the other four WC INs? If this is acceptable where do I terminate (which unit)? Or, can I daisy chain them - Lavry WC OUT to Conv1 WC IN, Conv1 WC OUT to Conv 2 WC IN... and so on.

Thanks a lot in advance!

LoFiJ
Old 3rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFiJ View Post
I'd like to avoid introduction of a distribution device if possible
It is possible. Go out from the unit you want to use as master and use BNC T-conectors. You can then use a T-connector at the last clocked unit and terminate that.

This is the better way instead of using the word clock INs and OUTs if you do not know exactly wether the WC connectiions of the devices are terminated or not.

I think there´s a paper at Bob Katz´ website about this kind of WC distribution.
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear
What are you sending your digital to and from? IE What is the recording medium? You could clock your sound card or recorder to the Lavry and then use that to distribute the signal. Whatever leads to the shortest chain. Try it a few different ways and pick the most stable setup (least dropouts and no clicks or pops). Sometimes it's better to switch master clocks depending on which phase of the recording process you're at. For example, when you're tracking use the Mytek clock, when mixing/bouncing out stems use the Lucid internal clock. and when printing the stereo mix use the Lavry.

Of course, the best Gearsluttiest answer is to get a separate master clock generator that has multiple wordclock outputs and sync to that.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search