The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SPL Madison
Old 3rd April 2017
SPL Madison

Hi Guy,s ,

no one I know uses SPL madison converters, I moved from Apogee to SPL a couple of years ago.

Just wondering if anyone here uses them . I have two Madison's and because I don't have the opportunity to compare them i am wondering how they compare to Burl. I record mainly high res acoustic classical instruments..nice rooms and pre 's etc etc...what are your thoughts anyone on the Madison's...
Old 3rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Hi,
I think the Madison's DACs are really awesome for the price, among the bests.
I find the AD part is not on par.

What do YOU think of them?
Does instruments recorded though the Madison sound great on playback?
Old 3rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Replaced SSL Alpha Links with the Madisons. Prefer the Madison.
Old 4th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSField View Post
Hi Guy,s ,

no one I know uses SPL madison converters, I moved from Apogee to SPL a couple of years ago.

Just wondering if anyone here uses them . I have two Madison's and because I don't have the opportunity to compare them i am wondering how they compare to Burl. I record mainly high res acoustic classical instruments..nice rooms and pre 's etc etc...what are your thoughts anyone on the Madison's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by funka View Post
Hi,
I think the Madison's DACs are really awesome for the price, among the bests.
I find the AD part is not on par.

What do YOU think of them?
Does instruments recorded though the Madison sound great on playback?
I think they are really very nice indeed but I dont really get to compare them . I was wondering if anyone new how they sound up against Burl?
Old 4th April 2017
Yes I wondered about the SSL's as well.
Old 5th April 2017
A/D

I'm not really sure if I have ever noticed a problem at all with the AD.
Old 18th May 2017
I love them. I had a Burl mothership and didn't have any big worries when getting rid of the mothership. I currently have a forssell mada as my "golden channels" and honestly I don't even bother worrying which ones I am plugged into. The Madison is one of the most underrated converters out there in my opinion. I am debating selling the forssell and just using two Madison boxes for everything. Nice balance of clean/character. Just a great sounding converter
Old 20th May 2017
Thanks for your input there dudley
Old 21st May 2017
TSM
Gear Addict

I see Blacklion audio do mods on the Madison. They modded my old Motu 828II years ago and it was great. I think SPL stuff is great
Old 22nd May 2017
Lives for gear

SPL Madison

I have owned a lot of converters.

I just picked up a couple Madisons and still have an SSL Alphalink.

Here is a little sample of something I just did for a wedding procession-
Attached Files

Mallory Master.mp3 (4.89 MB, 7465 views)

Old 6th May 2018
Gear Maniac
Consider this ...

I'm looking to upgrade my summing converters; right now my setup is 2 × Lucid 88192 + Lynx TWO-B(modded DAC) w/ 2 × LS-ADAT & Antelope Pure2 as my main mix/master processing channels.

The Pure2 stays for probably at least 5 yrs or more no question. Happy with my sound but feel nervous holding on to old tech going into the future though ...

Scenario 1: 2 × SPL Madison + RME Madi FX looks promising and should ensure rock solid performance based on RME's cards reputation. $5600 retail*(not too bad for stable 32 channel performance of this high end caliber). From what I've read here character of conversion slightly changes from external clocking which could be potentially improved with my Pure2.

Scenario 2: Lynx Aurora (n) 32-DIG(some don't know this exist but u can order the Lynx with a LM-DIG AES 16 I/O module) + 2 × Lynx AES16e(*$7000 retail + $200 approx. for breakout cables), I haven't heard the SPLs but I know I like the previous Aurora sound even my dated soundcard is good IMO. Problem ATM is Lynx hasn't released all the I/O modules for the Aurora(n) line it seems which is why I'd have to buy a 2nd AES16e to connect the Pure2 and utilize all channels on the Aurora(n) even then I'd actually lose 2 channels. I'll pay close attention to Lynx because I really hoped to go the Thunderbolt route and interface with my Pure2 from the Aurora(n) directly spdif or AES but for now no go. I'm even right now building a high end PC with a TB capable Motherboard.

I'm torn. I've read good things about the Madison here on GS and it would come out cheaper and integrate easier potentially but the Lynx is still intriguing only because I was very close to buying a Hilo before the Pure2 so I look forward to hearing the Aurora(n). Lynx is also going to release a summing module for the Aurora(n) line, that piques my interest too as an added submixer in my setup.

The only good thing is this purchase is likely to be made next year as I have a few more paramount things on my 2018 shortlist. That should give Lynx some time to release all the connectivity and features they plan to implement on the Aurora(n)s. SPL is in the lead ATM tho based on price but if I don't need the Lynx PCIe cards the price is close enough and Aurora(n) might have the edge with the summing ...

Still in true GS fashion, I'm bringing this life altering decision(joking) to the round table. Has anyone heard both of these out there in the vast spaces of Gearslutdom? If so or no, opinions plz buyer confirmation biases welcome same for spirited gear pimping also.

Last edited by ucanhatemenow; 6th May 2018 at 11:33 PM..
Old 7th July 2018
Here for the gear
Just got my SPL Madison. Running it with a RME Madi FX. Amazing sounding converters. I'm hearing all sorts of detail I couldn't hear before.

I'm gonna hook up the Burl B2 ADC this weekend and see how they compare. But the Madison sounds really nice! 16 channels for that price is bananas.
Old 6th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdel View Post
Just got my SPL Madison. Running it with a RME Madi FX. Amazing sounding converters. I'm hearing all sorts of detail I couldn't hear before.

I'm gonna hook up the Burl B2 ADC this weekend and see how they compare. But the Madison sounds really nice! 16 channels for that price is bananas.
What were your impressions when comparing to the Burl?

I have the same setup, Madi FX with the Madison, which is also daisy chained to cheaper Ferrofish A16MKII with great results. I have owned Lynx and RME in the past, and the SPL was definitely an upgrade.
Old 10th September 2018
Lives for gear

I have owned Burl, SSL, Lavry, UA 2182, Lynx, Apogee you name it. These blow the rest out of the water for a warm, tape sounding converter. Naturally you can make them go the other way also, but these are sleepers. I don't like all SPL stuff, but these are perfect for tracking, mixing, heck even mastering.
I have a Focusrite Red setup with 128 track capability PCIe card with 32 tracks of Madisons, Focusrite Red Madi and Monitoring which is all Dante. Next to no latency.
Old 10th September 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by krheatman View Post
I have owned Burl, SSL, Lavry, UA 2182, Lynx, Apogee you name it. These blow the rest out of the water for a warm, tape sounding converter. Naturally you can make them go the other way also, but these are sleepers. I don't like all SPL stuff, but these are perfect for tracking, mixing, heck even mastering.
I have a Focusrite Red setup with 128 track capability PCIe card with 32 tracks of Madisons, Focusrite Red Madi and Monitoring which is all Dante. Next to no latency.
That's good to know, it seems like I keep coming back to the Madisons or the choice is being made for me. I like Lynx generally and feel I would love the Aurora(n) also but I've completed my PC build(TB capable) now realize to use the Aurora(n) max i/o to use the AES/ADAT DIG card they offer, to incorporate my Pure2, I'll have to go with the Aurora(n) 24-TB.

It makes no sense to spend roughly the same for 8 less analog i/o so the Masison/MadiFX card is set in stone for me now. I was really wanting an Orion32+ just for the price difference I figured I could buy a Bettermaker Mastering Limiter with that. My dealer friends I trust are all shying me away from the Orion right now in every iteration guess the software/firmware is that bad ATM.

Gonna rock with what I got 1 more year or maybe tax time we'll see bout the Madison/MadiFX but right now I want that Mastering Limiter and keep eyeing a used Antelope 10M to see what that'll do for my current/future system.
Old 10th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanhatemenow View Post
That's good to know, it seems like I keep coming back to the Madisons or the choice is being made for me. I like Lynx generally and feel I would love the Aurora(n) also but I've completed my PC build(TB capable) now realize to use the Aurora(n) max i/o to use the AES/ADAT DIG card they offer, to incorporate my Pure2, I'll have to go with the Aurora(n) 24-TB.

It makes no sense to spend roughly the same for 8 less analog i/o so the Masison/MadiFX card is set in stone for me now. I was really wanting an Orion32+ just for the price difference I figured I could buy a Bettermaker Mastering Limiter with that. My dealer friends I trust are all shying me away from the Orion right now in every iteration guess the software/firmware is that bad ATM.

Gonna rock with what I got 1 more year or maybe tax time we'll see bout the Madison/MadiFX but right now I want that Mastering Limiter and keep eyeing a used Antelope 10M to see what that'll do for my current/future system.
The Madison's are the way, Orion has had tons of firmware /driver issues and left customers hanging
I use my Red Bet pcie as my master clock and it all sounds great. I love Dante. Totally flexible and you can hook up any laptop or PC to it and run of Ethernet if you have a glitch on another.
Old 10th September 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by krheatman View Post
The Madison's are the way, Orion has had tons of firmware /driver issues and left customers hanging
I use my Red Bet pcie as my master clock and it all sounds great. I love Dante. Totally flexible and you can hook up any laptop or PC to it and run of Ethernet if you have a glitch on another.
Deep down I always knew the Madisons would be my best bet. I love my Pure2 AD for masters and they're my analog processing loop conversion regardless; the Madison are really summing DACs still an important part of the chain.

This is officially my third studio build it started 4 years ago, at first it started buying good/great gear used some compromises. In the past 1 1/2 years it's been no compromise really Manley Ref C, Dangerous Liaison, KH310s, SSL Sigma etc. I got tired of buying stuff feeling like I needed to upgrade it later or just knowing it wasn't what I really wanted. I've known for at least 3 yrs the Madisons were what I wanted the price kept me away, this is what I will continue do a long time invest wisely hopefully once n run with that maybe a decade.
Old 10th September 2018
I got a setup question. At the moment, my Madison is doing all the clocking and everything is slaved to that, then it's also daisy chained to my Ferrofish converters and back to my RME Madi FX. Should i be clocking from my Madi FX for less jitter and latency or let the converters internal clock handle it and have everything slave to that?

Just curious what you guys are doing in this situation.
Old 11th September 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsixtysix View Post
I got a setup question. At the moment, my Madison is doing all the clocking and everything is slaved to that, then it's also daisy chained to my Ferrofish converters and back to my RME Madi FX. Should i be clocking from my Madi FX for less jitter and latency or let the converters internal clock handle it and have everything slave to that?

Just curious what you guys are doing in this situation.
Using converters' internal clock almost always results in less jitter.

BTW how does the Ferrofish compare to the SPL?
Old 12th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetam View Post
Using converters' internal clock almost always results in less jitter.

BTW how does the Ferrofish compare to the SPL?
The Ferrofish converters are fantastic for the money...The Madison conversion seems more linear and transparent to my ears, especially the DA side. On the AD side, there's less of a difference, although there might be but i certainly can't hear it when recording synths or external effects. This is why I haven't sold it off yet. So many extra channels for a very decent price.
Also it Daisy chains to my Madison without any issue or noticeable latency. I have the older ferrofish MK2 adat edition btw.

Last edited by Lsixtysix; 13th September 2018 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: Spelling mistakes.
Old 12th September 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsixtysix View Post
The ferrofish are fantastic for the money...the Madison are more linear and transparent to my ears, especially the DA. But the AD converters I can tell less of a difference, so that's why I haven't sold them off yet. As I needed extra channels for effects sy the etc, the ferrofish deliver on that front. Also it Daisy chains without any noticable latency or issue. I have the older ferrofish MK2 adat edition btw.
Thanks!
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Any more recent opinions about the sound of madison ??? How does it work in acoustic music?
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectric View Post
Any more recent opinions about the sound of madison ??? How does it work in acoustic music?
Well, I bought one and will almost certainly get another one soon.
I've read good reviews but was honestly surprised how good it sounds.
I'm somewhat afraid to mix ITB, because the DAC sounds better than anything my mixes will likely be ever played on.
It's dead quiet too.
For the first time my mixes sound as deep as they did on the console before printing. I thought that the problem was in the master section of my console, but no, it was the converter. Also having the enormous headroom is great.
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks... Also I am intersted in the ad side.
Old 11th January 2019
Gear Guru

I have had a Madison for a little while now (few years) and still like it a lot. I will agree with previous posters, I also like the DA better than the AD. AD is fine for separates, but for mix print not quite there for me, at least with own clock.

BUT the thing does react rather favourably overall to good outside clock. I have a Ross Martin 4222 which I got for mix prints, mainly, but it has a really rather great clock in it and using it as the master makes the Madison focus up noticeably from running from its own clock.

I use an SSL Madixtreme64 in the rig and just to mention, if I use THAT as master and slave the Madison to it everything goes to ****. Blurry. Noticeably better off its own clock. But the 4222 clock makes it better still.
Old 11th January 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks¡¡
I have a Mytek 8x96 ad and 8x192 adda. Unfortunately the 8x96 not work at 96kHz via adat and Mytek does not support the old units. I could buy a new 8x192 or buy a Madison SPL to have 16 i / o channels and use the Mytek 8x192 to improve the clock and print the master.
What do you think?
Old 11th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectric View Post
Thanks¡¡
I have a Mytek 8x96 ad and 8x192 adda. Unfortunately the 8x96 not work at 96kHz via adat and Mytek does not support the old units. I could buy a new 8x192 or buy a Madison SPL to have 16 i / o channels and use the Mytek 8x192 to improve the clock and print the master.
What do you think?
I have seen someone else here say that he used a Mytek with a Madison and clocked it that way, and seem to remember him saying that it makes the difference between their quality moot. I couldn't vouch for that, but can easily imagine that the Mytek clock would improve the SPL.
Old 12th January 2019
Here for the gear

I use a Madison for some years now for summing. I am very satisfied with the results of it‘s DA side. I clock it externally from the RME UFX+. And then the 16 Ch of the Madison feed the SPL Mixdream summingbox with a Dramastic Obsidian as the 2bus Compressor at the end. Rocksolid decent sound. I like it very much!
Old 12th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysputnik07 View Post
I use a Madison for some years now for summing. I am very satisfied with the results of it‘s DA side. I clock it externally from the RME UFX+. And then the 16 Ch of the Madison feed the SPL Mixdream summingbox with a Dramastic Obsidian as the 2bus Compressor at the end. Rocksolid decent sound. I like it very much!
You clock it from the UFX? Have you tried it the other way round, the SPL being master? My bet would be that it might sound better.....not a fan of clocking in RME units, much.
Old 12th January 2019
Lives for gear

RME re-clocks incoming clock signal for jitter reduction/rejection. It’s in their technical papers of their clocking. A process used by others like Prism and Lynx. There is no clocking “benefit” for external clocks used with them.

Last edited by pentagon; 12th January 2019 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: typo
📝 Reply