The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SPL Madison
Old 12th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
RME re-clocks incoming clock signal for jitter reduction/rejection. It’s in their technical papers of their clocking. A process used by others like Prism and Lynx. Their is no clocking “benefit” for external clocks used with them.
I am aware of that. My point was that the RME clock leaving to rule the SPL might not actually improve it. So if you make the SPL master the RME stays the same for reasons you just pointed at, but my guess is the SPL sounds better off its own clock.
Old 13th January 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks for your inputs. I will try it the other way round. Madison master and RME slave. I‘m curious, if I can hear any difference.
Old 13th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysputnik07 View Post
Thanks for your inputs. I will try it the other way round. Madison master and RME slave. I‘m curious, if I can hear any difference.
I am curious too. Let us know either way. ;-)
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysputnik07 View Post
What was the result? I'm thinking of getting an RME plus an Madison to replace my annoying Antelope :-)
Old 20th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
You clock it from the UFX? Have you tried it the other way round, the SPL being master? My bet would be that it might sound better.....not a fan of clocking in RME units, much.
I 'am using it same way, SPL Madison is the clock master and RME Madiface is the slave. Seems logical to me.
Old 1st November 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonband View Post
What was the result? I'm thinking of getting an RME plus an Madison to replace my annoying Antelope :-)
Which antelope Interface and gen are you using ?
Old 2nd December 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdel View Post
Just got my SPL Madison. Running it with a RME Madi FX. Amazing sounding converters. I'm hearing all sorts of detail I couldn't hear before.

I'm gonna hook up the Burl B2 ADC this weekend and see how they compare. But the Madison sounds really nice! 16 channels for that price is bananas.
Can you describe the differences you found between Burl and SPL Madison?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Here two SPL Madison + RME Madiface USB ,years ago i got RME and Apogue ,dont look back , now im very pleasant transparent sound .
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownj24 View Post
Can you describe the differences you found between Burl and SPL Madison?
im interested in this too
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I wish SPL would release a Madison with USB3 and TRS (16 I/O) No AVB-networking-nothing - just put the money into pure conversion at half the 16A price. Some of us just want high current/headroom conversion in one fanless box with one clock (none of that daisy this and daisy that) Pure conversion (even if it only does 48/24) but does it very well (kick RME's bu..)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan O View Post
Which antelope Interface and gen are you using ?
I finally pulled the trigger. I have an Orion Studio Gen 1 that's going away soon! And a pair of old Apogee Ensemble FW's slaved via ADAT.

Just got in a used Madison and used RME UFX+ and did some quick shootouts on drum overheads tonight with the same external pre's. Not 100% scientific since I couldn't just get the same performance into all the inputs, but it was enough to convince me.

My observations
1. Madison on it's own clock won!
2. Madison on RME clock was close, but a little less natural and 3d.
3. RME converters ranked #3 after both clockings of the Madison
4. My old Apogee Ensemble Firewire paled in comparison to both the Madison and RME. The Apogee sounded best when clocked to the Madison via a BNC. It sounded the worst on it's own clock.
5. I tried to compare to the Orion Studio converters, but changing the mic inputs to line and taking 6db off (the most it will let you) was still clipping even with the preamp all the way down. Did this one last, so there's a possibility I did something stupid. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

I think I'm gonna grab a second Madison so I can ditch the old Apogees in my outboard/summing setup.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I finally pulled the trigger. I have an Orion Studio Gen 1 that's going away soon! And a pair of old Apogee Ensemble FW's slaved via ADAT.

Just got in a used Madison and used RME UFX+ and did some quick shootouts on drum overheads tonight with the same external pre's. Not 100% scientific since I couldn't just get the same performance into all the inputs, but it was enough to convince me.

My observations
4. My old Apogee Ensemble Firewire paled in comparison to both the Madison and RME. The Apogee sounded best when clocked to the Madison via a BNC. It sounded the worst on it's own clock.
5. I tried to compare to the Orion Studio converters, but changing the mic inputs to line and taking 6db off (the most it will let you) was still clipping even with the preamp all the way down. Did this one last, so there's a possibility I did something stupid. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

I think I'm gonna grab a second Madison so I can ditch the old Apogees in my outboard/summing setup.
Ah OK. Would be interesting to compare madison with antelope. I guess the easiest way might be to send a line level signal source into both of the interfaces and then levelmatch in a DAW and listen. But still very difficult to get a fair comparison.

We recently pulled the trigger on a orion gen3. All good so far. Pretty big difference between the line out and higher grade monitor out though.

I hope to find time soon to do a audio diffmaker test.

( My biggest problem with madison is the madi interface. I really prefer having thunderbolt. Otherwise I've heard very good things about the sound. )
Old 3 weeks ago
Hi

Anyone know if this can be used with an interface that doesn’t use MADI? I.e. connected via ADAT? I’m looking to add a converter to an Apollo X6 to add more outgoing channels for analog summing into a SPL MixDream.

I’ve had a look on the SPL website but can’t seem to figure it out.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

My observations

Now get a good clock and clock those Madisons from it and drop jaw..... ;-)

I clocked mine from a Ross Martin PCM4222 for a bit which sounded VERY good, but gave me reliability issues with the clocking, so now on a BLA Microclock2. Also sounds sweet as and noticeably better than on its own clock. One day I'll grab the full on best microclock as the differenc woll be worth it me thinks.

Not at all surprised the RME clock was crap though, fits with what I have heard at a friend's place. He runs a UFX and a Ross Martin 4222, and the RME does indeed open up bigtime clocked from the 4222, although 'technically' the RME circuits suggest outside clocking can't improve it. Does though, a lot. UFX on its own sounds like a boxed in image.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

We have two Madisons with a SSL Madiextreme 64 in our Studio. Compared them to Antelope Orion, and our old Apogee Rosetta and the winner was SPL Madison. Our clock is an Apogee Big Ben.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head
[QUOTE=Dan O;14503790]
Quote:
Ah OK. Would be interesting to compare madison with antelope. I guess the easiest way might be to send a line level signal source into both of the interfaces and then levelmatch in a DAW and listen. But still very difficult to get a fair comparison.

We recently pulled the trigger on a orion gen3. All good so far. Pretty big difference between the line out and higher grade monitor out though.

I hope to find time soon to do a audio diffmaker test.

( My biggest problem with madison is the madi interface. I really prefer having thunderbolt. Otherwise I've heard very good things about the sound. )
Madison beat Orion I think. For some reason the line Inputs of Orion Studip are really hot. I actually had to put physical pads, plus the pad on my ADL600 to keep it from clipping on the way in. Orion’s control panel doesn’t go more than -6 on the line inputs.

Orion definitely sounded more 3d and true/crisp compared to the Orion. The Orion had some nice weight though.

I also just got another Madison that happens to be Black Lion Modded. Need to get that tested.

I do intend to do a more thorough shootout and post it at some point. Maybe make a YouTube video too since there’s not a lot available.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Now get a good clock and clock those Madisons from it and drop jaw..... ;-)

I clocked mine from a Ross Martin PCM4222 for a bit which sounded VERY good, but gave me reliability issues with the clocking, so now on a BLA Microclock2. Also sounds sweet as and noticeably better than on its own clock. One day I'll grab the full on best microclock as the differenc woll be worth it me thinks.

Not at all surprised the RME clock was crap though, fits with what I have heard at a friend's place. He runs a UFX and a Ross Martin 4222, and the RME does indeed open up bigtime clocked from the 4222, although 'technically' the RME circuits suggest outside clocking can't improve it. Does though, a lot. UFX on its own sounds like a boxed in image.
Yes. I’ve been looking at 2 channel AD’s for my two bus. Haven’t decided which way to go. I’d click the Madison’s off that.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac
[QUOTE=pardonband;14544881]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan O View Post

Madison beat Orion I think. For some reason the line Inputs of Orion Studip are really hot. I actually had to put physical pads, plus the pad on my ADL600 to keep it from clipping on the way in. Orion’s control panel doesn’t go more than -6 on the line inputs.

Orion definitely sounded more 3d and true/crisp compared to the Orion. The Orion had some nice weight though.

I also just got another Madison that happens to be Black Lion Modded. Need to get that tested.

I do intend to do a more thorough shootout and post it at some point. Maybe make a YouTube video too since there’s not a lot available.
Ooohh ... I've lusted after Madisons(a pair hell BLA modded would be even nicer) for some time to sum OTB to my SSL Sigma still using old Lucid 88192s. I like my Antelope Pure2 for my analog processing loop/AD capture but wonder if for the price of 2 × SPL Madison + RME Madi FX I could just go D.A.D. 32 whatever they call em now n be done with it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search