The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Favorite Converter for the Mix Bus??
Old 12th April 2017
Lives for gear

So, do I understand correct... you mix with the UAD/Apollo and then want an extra converter for "flavour" when printing the mix..? No outboard, no other FX..? I'd rather experiment with a plugin on the Apollo's inputs for flavour/color than buying an extra converter for that. The AD/DA's you listed are all top notch but most of them aim to be transparent. Of course the coloration tools on the HEDD are nice, occasionally... but 99 out of 100 times colour and flavour is the least thing I want from a converter. I don't say it's not an option, but maybe just not worth the hassle...
Old 18th April 2017
Gear Nut

Thanks MatsNo for the reply. i am mostly producing with MIDI triggered software instruments. my weak point is vocal and acoustic guitar recording and DA conversion. since i am looking for a strategic path and do not really need more than 2 inputs 99 % of the time, i am thinking more along the line of Burl B2.

i would like to know what AES is.

i am also wanting to record a band with everyone playing at the same time for another project, but I wanted to about the high end inputs for my more important projects, for planing.
in the future i was thinking about Apollo 8p blackface Thunderbolt and running their plugins and thought Antelope might offer an alternative interface although with many less plugins. I was wanting to mix in-the-box as much as i can accept when using outboard gear truly improves quality. youtube tutorials by the music-tech-help-guy state there is no need to sum for mixing because mixes do not need to be checked for sound in mono because mono is so rare and sound quality is not so important for most mono systems, so mastering can be done in stereo. I don't know why i wrote that
it seems that going the Burl B2 route is the most strategic route to up my game as i could use the B2 for quality tracking and mastering, both of which seem to be my weakest links because of AD/DA conversion. if i did that, would i be also be looking at clocking? I assume the B2 has good clocking and using an atomic clock from Antelope would not increase the quality that much. on the other hand, there is a market for them. not many people will spend 6,500 dollars for nothing.
Old 18th April 2017
Gear Nut

With concern for all you've mentioned and also keeping in mind things like bang for the buck and good support, perhaps also consider a combo like the [due out soon] (1) Lynx Aurora (N)8 TB or a alternately a Lynx HiLo; (2) a Universal Audio Octo TB Satellite plugin processor with a 10 pack of extra plugins; and (3) a Neve 1073LB preamp or two.

The Apollo would provide more utility, albeit you would likely still at least need to add a Quad Satellite. But IMHO the conversion might be more transparent with the LYNX. Plus if you just need an array of mic preamps for the rare occasion when you record more than one or two tracks simultaneously, then use a small mixer. Or if you if you have a lesser converter then use their preamps and connect via ADAT.
Old 18th April 2017
Gear Nut
Black lion audio white sparrow. I have it to capture summed mixed from Motu avb interfaces. Sounds absolutely amazing
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear
Love my mytek 8 192
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

Love my Burl B2. Mixed through my Lynx Auroras for years, the Burl just adds another dimension.
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Nut

does anyone know what MatsNo is referring to in discussing AES?

Does anyone have experience with the Burl B1D MicPre?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B1DMicPre
does anyone have any names of mic preamps that would work well with, that are on a par with, the quality of the Burl Audio B2 bomber ADC?
could i connect a Burl B1D MicPre and a Burl B1 MicPre to each channel of the B2 bomber ADC for for recording 2 high quality tracks into a DAW?
are there any other companies besides, is it 5 fish? that sell 500 series or API preamp kits that would be in the same quality range being discussed here?
Old 20th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramar View Post
does anyone know what MatsNo is referring to in discussing AES?
It's just a digital format. My point was that you could get a main interface with good convertion + all the bells and whistles, great drivers, multiple inputs etc, and then if you want to add a couple of high end AD converters later you could always connect that via AES.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

I just moved to a bf Apollo 16 and was hoping to let go of my burl b2. I ran a few tests and I ain't selling the b2. I mix through c2 and a curvebender back in through the burl. I printed an Apollo and Apollo both burl and an avid with burl. The 2 with a burl to me totally outclassed the plain Apollo.
Old 20th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callison View Post
I just moved to a bf Apollo 16 and was hoping to let go of my burl b2. I ran a few tests and I ain't selling the b2. I mix through c2 and a curvebender back in through the burl. I printed an Apollo and Apollo both burl and an avid with burl. The 2 with a burl to me totally outclassed the plain Apollo.
I felt the same way when I had a BF Apollo 8 and added the B2 ADC after running out to a summing mixer. The B2 adds something immensely special.
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by batlanyard View Post
I felt the same way when I had a BF Apollo 8 and added the B2 ADC after running out to a summing mixer. The B2 adds something immensely special.
That's why I suggested a high quality [perhaps transparent] converter and [if the price of outboard gear be prohibitive] getting a UA Satellite Octo and a couple of high end hardware preamps like a 1073. Wouldn't Neve hardware also add something special, not only to tracking but even later on the mix buss?
Old 20th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSA7 View Post
That's why I suggested a high quality [perhaps transparent] converter and [if the price of outboard gear be prohibitive] getting a UA Satellite Octo and a couple of high end hardware preamps like a 1073. Wouldn't Neve hardware also add something special, not only to tracking but even later on the mix buss?
And that's a great suggestion that will get the OP headed where he's wanting to go. Same reason why I ended up with three Satellites and no Apollo. Agree there's lots of options for 2-buss ADC.

Just saying I went a similar route as Callison and had the same reaction to the B2, that's all.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search