The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High End Surround Monitor Controller 5.1 / 7.1 Monitor Controllers
Old 30th March 2017
Gear Maniac

High End Surround Monitor Controller 5.1 / 7.1

What you think about these Monitor Controllers. Any pros and cons? Thaanks!

Multimax-EX
Audient ASP510
Crookwoood C30
Dangerous ST/SR
Studio Technologies, Inc.

SPL SMC 2489
Coleman Audio SR5.1 MKII or 7.1
* If you have other options welcome to add.

These I imagine are great but too expensive for the budget:
Avocet
Gracedesign

I'm working with a console that only has stereo monitor controller+Sub+talkback and I need to expand for surround mixing.

Last edited by jffmusic; 31st March 2017 at 12:36 AM..
Old 31st March 2017
if i had the money, i'd go with this:

Studio Technologies, Inc. -- Model 780-02 Central Controller / Model 790 Control Console

but this baby looks really cool:

A-Mon Product Page

marty
Old 2nd April 2017
Gear Maniac

Thanks Marty!

I have heard a lot about Studio Technologies on my search but didn't know them from before. For me the only one that I have tried is the Dangerous. For me Dangerous, Avocet and Gracedesign were the most known brands.

Why would you say the Studio Technologies is the best? Because of sound or functionality? How it compares to the Dangerous?

I'll check the A-Mon.

Best!
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty lester View Post
Strictly digital inputs. Only the 74 model has analog in. 76D series, 760 series, 780 series are all digital input only.
And quite frankly, the Studio Tech units are really dated compared to the advancements from practically every other controller maker. They are really basic switchers by comparison (few inputs/outputs, no advanced multi input level calibration, no aux out/cue out/slate, etc.)
Old 3rd April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Strictly digital inputs. Only the 74 model has analog in. 76D series, 760 series, 780 series are all digital input only.
And quite frankly, the Studio Tech units are really dated compared to the advancements from practically every other controller maker. They are really basic switchers by comparison (few inputs/outputs, no advanced multi input level calibration, no aux out/cue out/slate, etc.)
huh...i must be wrong...i thought the studio technologies boxes
had all kinds of good bass management, EQ, and time-aligning
capabilities. if i am wrong, then yeah, outdated for sure.

here's my point...i have no experience w/ the Dangerous and Grace big boys, but what i need from my monitor controller is a way to do what i mentioned above...bass management, basic corrective room EQ, and time-alignment for my 6 surround channels. what i currently use is a Metric Halo ULN-8. all those features are software programmable...which means i probably should have recommended one of these in the first place. if you don't need the mic pre-amps just get the LIO-8. until i find something that does ALL that in a reasonable price, i'm sticking w/ the MH Labs.

fwiw,
marty

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search