The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Coles 4038 vs STC 4038 is there a difference? Ribbon Microphones
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

Coles 4038 vs STC 4038 is there a difference?

I've just picked up an old STC 4038 only to discover that impedance of the mic is rated at 30 ohms as opposed to the newer Coles which are rated at 300. Should I expect to hear a difference in performance? Is one more desirable than the other?
Old 30th March 2017
Les
Lives for gear

I would expect a little less bass response in the 300 ohm with a typical 2K mic pre input. I would expect lower output voltage in the 30 ohm.

You can use a step up transformer if you want 300 ohm. You can of course replace the transformer as well.
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo4u View Post
I've just picked up an old STC 4038 only to discover that impedance of the mic is rated at 30 ohms as opposed to the newer Coles which are rated at 300. Should I expect to hear a difference in performance? Is one more desirable than the other?
No one else has chimed in so I'll mention that some years ago I have heard from a few guys who used the STC 4038 that it was/is a very good mic, though when I discussed this I did not hear about the 30ohm impedance.

The Coles 4038 is or was also available in a 30ohm version intended for, I believe, use with very long cable runs. If your STC is in good condition, and if it's impedance will not pose a problem with your preamp, then it will probably sound quite nice.

In case you'd like to see an old STC brochure on the mic:
http://www.coutant.org/stc/4038/4038.pdf

EDIT: Well when I had stepped away for a snack Les chimed in, and I didn't notice . . .
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks guys. I did hear about the long cable run but I didn't think much about it because I figured just about any balanced line shouldn't present a problem. And yes Les, the output is very low at 30 ohms. The lowest of other ribbon mics I have but I have to say, it does sound good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search