The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
stam sa4000 vs dramastic obsidian vs ssl g384 Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

stam sa4000 vs dramastic obsidian vs ssl g384

Hey,

I know this could be a ridiculous notion but anything is possible. So has anyone done a shoot out or can compare. For the $600 asking price, is there $2400 worth of difference between these?

thanks,

ej
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear
Also curious about this. I have a Stam and am very pleased with it.
Old 30th March 2017
I have the stam and the obsidian. I love both and one doesn't replace the other. Stam is cleaner sounding and does the ssl really really great! The obsidian, well I can't live without. The obsidian stereo image is insanely good! It's a little thicker but the stam at 600$ does not sound like it's 2000$ cheaper..... both are amazing
I love the stam for drum buss and also 2 buss work but the obsidian lives on my 2 buss and is there 90% of the time... you can't go wrong with either of them
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

I had an Obsidian and own the stam.....

The Dramastic is a touch more elegant sounding but the two are very close in practice application.
The Obsidian presents a wider stereo picture under compression.
The stam is really good and does the punchy glue a bit better!
I have also had the Allen Smart and prefer the Stam.
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear
Are you guys employing external side chain when using the Sa4000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomatic View Post
I had an Obsidian and own the stam.....

The Dramastic is a touch more elegant sounding but the two are very close in practice application.
The Obsidian presents a wider stereo picture under compression.
The stam is really good and does the punchy glue a bit better!
I have also had the Allen Smart and prefer the Stam.
Old 31st March 2017
Gear Maniac

Stam vs other SSL type

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
I have the stam and the obsidian. I love both and one doesn't replace the other. Stam is cleaner sounding and does the ssl really really great! The obsidian, well I can't live without. The obsidian stereo image is insanely good! It's a little thicker but the stam at 600$ does not sound like it's 2000$ cheaper..... both are amazing
I love the stam for drum buss and also 2 buss work but the obsidian lives on my 2 buss and is there 90% of the time... you can't go wrong with either of them

In my case, I have the Smart C2 and I will have to agree with this post that the SA4000 is an insane machine at that price.
I use the Stam SA4000 for mono sources only like bass, vocal, etc..., but not on the 2 bus, just like the comments of the poster above had said, due to the quality of the stereo image.

Btw, because of the price, I got 2. Best under $1000 I ever spent for my studio.

dan
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear
Can anyone shed some light on what gives the Obsidian it's beloved stereo width? I'm very curious as to how this is achieved... Does it employ a mono detector, primarily causing center information to induce compression? Phase distortion? I'm very curious.
Old 1st April 2017
That might be like asking a chef what they put in their secret sauce
I guess it's a dramastic secret......
All I know is that it's magical
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drywsef View Post
Can anyone shed some light on what gives the Obsidian it's beloved stereo width? I'm very curious as to how this is achieved... Does it employ a mono detector, primarily causing center information to induce compression? Phase distortion? I'm very curious.
Old 1st April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Most likely harmonics from the transformers in the obsidian.

SA-4000 is electronically balanced.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That´s the answer. Basically an Obsidian is a ripoff of the GSSL DIY project. If you look inside you´ll find a main-PCB which shares the same layout with the one Jakob Erland did for the GSSL. Mind you that the sidechain with the mono detector is Jakobs own design, which is very different from the original SSL sidechain. He has never been asked for permission by any manufacturer that his circuit is to be used in a commercial product.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixing Suite View Post
Most likely harmonics from the transformers in the obsidian.

SA-4000 is electronically balanced.
Most likely not. There´s no correlation between harmonics and stereowidth to my knowledge. If I´m wrong, then please enlighten us where we can read any scientific proof about it.
Old 1st April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann View Post
Most likely not. There´s no correlation between harmonics and stereowidth to my knowledge. If I´m wrong, then please enlighten us where we can read any scientific proof about it.
Interesting, i did not know that. I assumed it would, hence me starting my reply with most likely. Maybe i should have started with possibly the transformers.

Could it be that the obsidians compression circuit is not 100% linked and allows for some movement between the stereo image? Again, just a guess.

Cheers
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
That´s the answer. Basically an Obsidian is a ripoff of the GSSL DIY project. If you look inside you´ll find a main-PCB which shares the same layout with the one Jakob Erland did for the GSSL. Mind you that the sidechain with the mono detector is Jakobs own design, which is very different from the original SSL sidechain. He has never been asked for permission by any manufacturer that his circuit is to be used in a commercial product.
Thanks so much for this. I suspected this might be the case!
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
i wonder if i could get someone to build this form me and add a transformer that could be switched on and off?

thoughts?

ej
Old 2nd April 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
i wonder if i could get someone to build this form me and add a transformer that could be switched on and off?

thoughts?

ej
I did just this.
Neko SSL.
With turbo mod.
When turbo button is off, it's compressing like the GSSL, when it's on it compresses like the original SSL.
Some folks get caught up in the idea of having the original,but there are many times I prefer the GSSL version, and so it's best to me to have both options.
On the drum buss, and the mix buss this compressor paints my heart pink.
Attached Thumbnails
stam sa4000 vs dramastic obsidian vs ssl g384-img_20170311_144830.jpg  
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

thoughts?

ej
customaudiogermany – we build gear

Steffen is a great guy, knows his stuff and doesn´t ripoff other people´s design. Everything he does is custom made, including PCB layout. And he´s open for any crazy customization idea.
Old 2nd April 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
customaudiogermany – we build gear

Steffen is a great guy, knows his stuff and doesn´t ripoff other people´s design. Everything he does is custom made, including PCB layout. And he´s open for any crazy customization idea.
He also charges twice as much.
I asked him what justified the extra cost compared to other replicas, and he had a smug type response about me asking,and then tried to suggest his units were made with better components. When I pointed out the fact that the other less expensive options used quality components like the original designs, he then said to me "then apparently they do not value their time".
Old 3rd April 2017
Lives for gear
Does anyone know if the GSSL single detector design was implemented as a cost-saving measure? Or did Jakob have a purpose to this design (i.e., stereo width perception)?

Edit: a little research actually answered my question. Check here: http://www.proaudiodesignforum.com/f...c.php?f=6&t=17

Very interesting stuff.
Old 3rd April 2017
Lives for gear

so the obsidian is a gssl comp basically. is that what makes it better than the smart or other ssl clones? the neko has me very curious…i might get that and the stam. I am very concerned about the stereo image on the stereo bus. I have heard the obsidian and it sounds fantastic. I'd rather not spend $3k if i don't have to and it is basically a rip off/clone of another design. please let me know you thoughts...
Old 21st May 2017
Here for the gear
not on the 2bus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan le View Post
In my case, I have the Smart C2 and I will have to agree with this post that the SA4000 is an insane machine at that price.
I use the Stam SA4000 for mono sources only like bass, vocal, etc..., but not on the 2 bus, just like the comments of the poster above had said, due to the quality of the stereo image.

Btw, because of the price, I got 2. Best under $1000 I ever spent for my studio.

dan

so have you tried it on the 2bus before? or would u not try it on the 2bus due to the stereo image?
Old 22nd May 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by demode_iowa View Post
so have you tried it on the 2bus before? or would u not try it on the 2bus due to the stereo image?
Yes for sure, that was the first thing to do when I received the machines.
For my situation, it did not work well at all at the 2 buss as an insert, so I went back to the C2.

dan
Old 22nd May 2017
Lives for gear

end up with an obsidian…

speechless…

ej
Old 29th May 2017
Great choice!
Quote:
end up with an obsidian…

speechless…

ej
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

I am very pro-Obsidian

- c
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

So it's not clear if this Obsidian is a Gssl ripoff or a great unique comp.
Anybody can shed light on it?

THX
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

It is clear that it´s a ripoff. It uses the same PCB as main PCB like a GSSL, as can be seen on pictures in the german "Studio Magazin" article from a few months ago. What´s different is the additional transformers.
Old 26th December 2017
Company Rep
You guys should try to the SA4000+ work carnhill transformers

I have not tried the obsidian myself but I am sure it's a great product as well
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very true I'm so glad others bought a GSSL DIY kit popped the Lid, looked at old pictures and openly saw this as exactly what it is and was, why obsidian? Well with two big distribution companies add a few $000's to a product with an originally trophy shop engraved faceplate transformers and boom at $4,999 the obsidian is sheer magic? Then look at the Guts of the SSL, Smart units and the pcb and design layout is very different from 384 to Xlogic from C1 to C1-La500 the difference is huge!

Poor Jakob, such a lovely guy took the G section schematic and made a functional unit, specs the same as SSL/Smart nope...then who cares about that junk?

Though forget that! Look at Warm Audio and their new Neve 1073 line up?
It's more ams Neve then AMS themselves as to the sound? No idea though these units will be the 2018 argument of the year as hey a Neve is a Neve is a Neve is all a 1073!
Hmmm
Don't think so though I guess we shall hear and see!
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
You guys should try to the SA4000+ work carnhill transformers

I have not tried the obsidian myself but I am sure it's a great product as well
Well that makes perfect sense, why sell some type of SSL bus comp and not buy all other units just to have a peek a boo look!

Sure you know what an Obsidian does and is Joshua though the Stam advertising on thread....whoa man! Sure Answer questions though flog goods uncool!
Hmmmm!
Old 26th December 2017
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Well that makes perfect sense, why sell some type of SSL bus comp and not buy all other units just to have a peek a boo look!

Sure you know what an Obsidian does and is Joshua though the Stam advertising on thread....whoa man! Sure Answer questions though flog goods uncool!
Hmmmm!
I am sure it is due to me non being a native English speaker but I did not understand a word of what you just said, =(

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search