The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ZOD Bass DI - other uses Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 28th March 2017
Gear Maniac

ZOD Bass DI - other uses

So I did some searching around but wasnt able to find anything real specific about my question.

My question to you guys is... in what other ways are you using this piece of gear?

I see some folks reference using it with keys, vox, guitar etc with good results.

Lets talk about guitar. Would you simply run a clean signal through it for the purpose of re-amping or possibly applying an amp sim to? Or would you mic a cab and run the mic'd source through this thing? And if you are running mics through it... is the end result a very specific sort of tone that is great in some situations, but not so great in others. Or is it generally pretty pleasing and usefull overall?

The reason I ask is I'm making some updates to the studio this year(as if we ever stop), but I have to be careful with the budget. Getting married in september so that is priority, and the gear budget has to take a back seat.

Any gear additions will be few and far between just due to keeping it budget friendly enough.

Anyhow, I stumbled across the ZOD and hear nothing but great things and I started wondering to myself, I wonder how flexible it is and in what ways other guys are using it. Flexibility is a nice option I guess when you're limiting yourself in how many items you can buy

thanks folks
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

...I like it even more on clean guitar/acoustic than on bass...
And at home I do my scratch vocals with a sm58 through it...
I am saving up for a stereo unit to run my whole mixbus through it
It's a very inspiring box!
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

The Wolf box can be used to re-amp the signal, it has built in attenuation that allows this. Just curious if the ZOD can do this? I find this feature very handy and in fact, used it just yesterday on 10 guitar tracks.
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_moreira View Post
So I did some searching around but wasnt able to find anything real specific about my question.

My question to you guys is... in what other ways are you using this piece of gear?

I see some folks reference using it with keys, vox, guitar etc with good results.

Lets talk about guitar. Would you simply run a clean signal through it for the purpose of re-amping or possibly applying an amp sim to? Or would you mic a cab and run the mic'd source through this thing? And if you are running mics through it... is the end result a very specific sort of tone that is great in some situations, but not so great in others. Or is it generally pretty pleasing and usefull overall?
My Zod just came in hours ago. I'm gonna try some electric guitar and other stuff through it after work. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get very nice clean electric guitar sounds by feeding the ZOD DI'd guitar signal to a cabinet simulator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhard View Post
...I like it even more on clean guitar/acoustic than on bass...
And at home I do my scratch vocals with a sm58 through it...
I am saving up for a stereo unit to run my whole mixbus through it
It's a very inspiring box!
I didn't know Dan built stereo versions. Thanks for all of your helpful info on the ZOD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
The Wolf box can be used to re-amp the signal, it has built in attenuation that allows this. Just curious if the ZOD can do this?
What is a "Wolf box"? My ZOD has a knob marked "OUTPUT LEVEL", but I haven't seen anything that would indicate that it's setup to be a re-amping tool.
Old 31st March 2017
Here for the gear

I can tell you that I use the ZOD in so many different ways. I love the fact that it has a thru that I can use for reamping. That way I can double tracks, and layer two different tones if I so choose. And if you want to use an amp simulator you can run it through the ZOD and and then right into the simulator to give it a very warm and real tone. The attenuation ability is key for its versatility.

Can't say enough about this piece of gear. I was in a similar place as you, where I needed to be very strategic how I used my studio budget. I decided to take a leap of faith because I've worked with Dan before and know what he brings to the table. He's that good. Needless to say, I ended up re-tracking many guitars, and ALL of my bass tracks! It made that big of an impact for me.

The album that I'm producing now will be completed shortly. When it's finished I can share some links so you can truly hear what it's capable of.
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz View Post

What is a "Wolf box"? My ZOD has a knob marked "OUTPUT LEVEL", but I haven't seen anything that would indicate that it's setup to be a re-amping tool.
The Wolf box, named by James Jameson was invented by Ed Wolfrum, one of Motowns two engineers and the man who is credited with inventing the DI in the first place.

Tony Levin gave me the one I have although Ed is a personal friend. He laughed when he found out I had one.

You can build one yourself.... IF, you can find the transformers. Trouble is Acme Audio And Joe Tarsia from Sigma Sound Studios bought all of them up years ago (Joe builds his Sigma Sound DI box from them). Truly these transformers are becoming unobtainium.

I have 6 different DI's here and need them all as loading is different depending on the design of the instrument. No one DI covers all the Basses! Ha ha

Wolf Box... http://www.audiographicservices.com/wolfbox

DI Test... The ultimate comparitive bass DI test...

Good to hear you can use the ZOD to re-amp sources.

Silvertone Mastering
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Wolf box, named by James Jameson was invented by Ed Wolfrum, one of Motowns two engineers and the man who is credited with inventing the DI in the first place.

Wolf Box... http://www.audiographicservices.com/wolfbox

DI Test... The ultimate comparitive bass DI test...

Good to hear you can use the ZOD to re-amp sources.
Thanks for the info on the Wolf Box. Also, I appreciate you putting together that DI test.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Tony Levin gave me the one I have although Ed is a personal friend. He laughed when he found out I had one.

You can build one yourself.... IF, you can find the transformers. Trouble is Acme Audio And Joe Tarsia from Sigma Sound Studios bought all of them up years ago (Joe builds his Sigma Sound DI box from them). Truly these transformers are becoming unobtainium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz View Post
Thanks for the info on the Wolf Box. Also, I appreciate you putting together that DI test.
Yeah, Ed Wolfrum got a raw deal from Acme regarding the Wolfbox, which he goes into great detail here:

http://www.audiographicservices.com/wolfbox.html

He also explains the workings of his "Wolfbox" and generously provides a schematic if you're electronically inclined enough to build one.
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah, I linked that above.

A shame as both Ed and Al are great guys.

The Wolf box as it stands today from Acme is not the Wolf Box Ed designed. Al decided to make it active.

Active and passive DI's do not sound or react the same.

Silvertone Mastering
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

Back to the great wizard of ZOD DI...
Old 14th April 2017
Here for the gear
My ZOD is for sale. Mint condition.

Its nice, I just don't dig it as much as my solo 610.

PM me if interested.
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Nut

I think the solo 610 di sounds good too. I like the pre on it as well, but I don't like it as much as a good tube mic >ZOD>La2a. It tames the sibilance just perfectly on a c12 esque capsule. The ZOD has such a hot output when opened up that you really don't need a preamp between that and the la2a. That goes for bass as well. Bass>ZOD >la2a>converter. Killer!!!!
I have a Manley dual mono pre, which I love. The di is great, but I like the ZOD better. Funny enough, I like the ZOD as the pre better on my c12 type mic than the Manley too (and api,neve, and other things.) I kinda wouldn't know what to do without it at this point. I prefer my other pres when recording Ac gtr and other instruments, but the ZOD adds a flavor I just love for certain things.
Old 8th May 2017
Gear Nut

I should add that I am literally taking the xlr out from my Mic's power supply (which normally runs into a traditional preamp) and running the other end(xlr male like normal) into the combo jack (xlr/ts) on the Zod Di. I then run the xlr out of the zod into an la2a and use the gain on that to get it where I want it.
Old 8th May 2017
Gear Maniac

When everyone is discussing reamping are they meaning to send digital mixes out to give it some tubey goo, or to send guitars back out and the zod converts to hi z level to reamp a guitar cab? Thanks
Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Asked this on another thread without answer:
If both fed the same signal and both turned up to max, is the output of the Zod hotter than the output of the REDDI?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search