The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Small Exciting / Fun Nearfileds Studio Monitors
Old 27th March 2017
Lives for gear

Small Exciting / Fun Nearfileds

Hi I'm looking for some exciting / fun sounding small monitors, don't have to be accurate / flat or any of that.

I am currently on KH310 & Mixcubes in a treated room but am missing something small & exciting to work on (used to have some 5" JBLs which I loved for this purpose but they've stopped making them & mine are bust)

Just looking to replace the mixcubes (dont like them) for some small, contained, exciting / vibey / fun, not looking for accuracy.

Any ideas (I already have NS10s, HS5s so not them).

Budget undefined.

Cheers

Last edited by duckoff; 27th March 2017 at 02:35 PM..
Old 27th March 2017
Lives for gear

Genelec 8030 are sooper-dooper cool and fun, very natural, smooth and big sounding for their size, quite inspiring to work with.
Old 27th March 2017
Lives for gear

Would Amphion One15s suit for this purpose?
Old 27th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckoff View Post
This is from a private conversation(via mail) I had last year with Anssi Hyvonen. Was interested in Amphion One15.

Me: What I am looking for: natural, organic, detail reveiling, easy to track for hours and hours, but also easy to mix and master in order to conceive music that translates very well from radio cars to hi-fi and to professional monitors. I want a sound that both inspires me from a creative point of view and that also offers all the details to help me create a solid, professional mix.

Anssi: How you describe sound sounds very familiar to me
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

I doubt the OP is looking to spend one 15 type dollars ; I reckon he's just wanting a quick and dirty, somewhat more complete sound than the Avantones that give him an everyday perspective as opposed to the KH 310. Could be wrong there though.

Sorry can't advise anything current although I do have some old mordaunt short Hi-fi speakers which i like for that purpose.

Cheers, Ross
Old 28th March 2017
Gear Guru

oi oi duckoff. I doubt you'd hate the one15's if you wanted to spend like that. Still adore mine. Also great fun in a different way are the little Geithan RL906s. Like a little glass ball hologram of sound. Pretty bloody amazing vibe. Break up earlier in the bass when giving it to them though, so if you want to cane them with heavy bass at levels that stretch them maybe not. But then you'd use the big'uns for that, right?
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirt View Post
I doubt the OP is looking to spend one 15 type dollars ; I reckon he's just wanting a quick and dirty, somewhat more complete sound than the Avantones that give him an everyday perspective as opposed to the KH 310. Could be wrong there though.

Sorry can't advise anything current although I do have some old mordaunt short Hi-fi speakers which i like for that purpose.

Cheers, Ross
It's actually the OP who posted that message about the Amphion One15. ;-)

If you are looking for something fun and exciting and it doesn't have to be very accurate, the One15's don't sound like the perfect pair because they are probably over qualified I'm guessing.

I would look into the HEDD Type 05, Adam A5X or EVE Audio SC205 (or even the smaller SC204). I think these monitors fit your description mostly. Fun little monitors!
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah you're probably right about overkill with the One15s - Karloff, I was actually looking at the Geithan RL906s - could be just the ticket.

I just want something with that neat vibey sound that is significantly different from the 310s, they don't have to be sh!tty! Also I def don't need high SPLs.
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

Oops, sorry didn't realise the O. P. nominated the one 15 - in that case if you could swing it they're great (I have them) although they are bigger than you might imagine.
I think Amphion make a one 12 which might be worth a look.

Cheers
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yeah you're probably right about overkill with the One15s - Karloff, I was actually looking at the Geithan RL906s - could be just the ticket.

I just want something with that neat vibey sound that is significantly different from the 310s, they don't have to be sh!tty! Also I def don't need high SPLs.
Get both the one15 and the RL906 in from KMR to try out I reckon. Work on them and see what you love. If you get the one15 you will end up doing most of your mixing on them too and just check on the 310's, watch... ;-)
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you get the one15 you will end up doing most of your mixing on them too and just check on the 310's, watch... ;-)
Haha you're probably right mate, will report back!
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

double post
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

JBL LSR6325P Bi-Amplified Studio Monitor, Pair with Stands at Gear4music.com

solid metal eclosure JBL LSR6325p end of line stock. reduced from £850 a pair to £380 a pair inc some stands
Old 30th March 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Hi I'm looking for some exciting / fun sounding small monitors, don't have to be accurate / flat or any of that.
Quote:
well, the One 15's are surely small, but I would not call the exciting or fun.
Matter of fact, if you get these, I presume you will question if you still need the KH310.
For me the One 15 are a very valuable mixing tool, that will let you mix without any negative surprises on other systems.
I also have large ATC's, which are fun & exciting AND accurate, but they are the opposite of "small" :-)
prior to this setup I was using ProAC studio 100, which I think match your description of exciting / fun and not accurate / flat.
you might want to consider these, I myself have been thinking about again getting a pair of them for home listening.
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
JBL LSR6325P Bi-Amplified Studio Monitor, Pair with Stands at Gear4music.com

solid metal eclosure JBL LSR6325p end of line stock. reduced from £850 a pair to £380 a pair inc some stands
Haha Marc, these are exactly the speakers I am replacing! My amps have blown & my tweeters are destroyed!
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
well, the One 15's are surely small, but I would not call the exciting or fun.
Matter of fact, if you get these, I presume you will question if you still need the KH310.
For me the One 15 are a very valuable mixing tool, that will let you mix without any negative surprises on other systems.
I also have large ATC's, which are fun & exciting AND accurate, but they are the opposite of "small" :-)
prior to this setup I was using ProAC studio 100, which I think match your description of exciting / fun and not accurate / flat.
you might want to consider these, I myself have been thinking about again getting a pair of them for home listening.
I think you're probably right - the 310s do have their faults but I'm used to them & the low extension is useful as I dont like subs. I just miss that small focussed sound (dont really enjoy my Avantones very much but loved my old Aurotones + Quad Monoblock which I no longer have).
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha Marc, these are exactly the speakers I am replacing! My amps have blown & my tweeters are destroyed!
Yeah, I originally owned them around 1999-2001ish when they were just LSR 25P and sold them. I realised I missed them when it was too late as they were discontinued and ebay ones were all tattered with pushed in tweeters.

I'm quite happy they re-released them in black with a slightly different name.

Great little things aren't they?
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great little things aren't they?
Yeah they absolutely are - just great to listen too & get a mix together on, if I remember rightly the limiters kick in quite early & this just helps contain it all...... might pull the trigger... in the meantime! Would save me some dollar over the gethains anyhow!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search