The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio Impact Of Power Supply On H/E Converters? Metric Halo, Prism etc. Audio Interfaces
Old 11th March 2019
Gear Guru
I have another question. I have a MixPre6 which works with an AC adapter or batteries. What power source is optimal and isn't DC power clean?
Would it make a difference powering thru a camera battery or a AA Sled? Are these power units only for AC current or DC also? I'm imagining DC or wall wart current is DC so linear?.....

Truly curious and if you guys can post a file done through the optimal power and non to the converter, that would be great!........
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Addict

Grammy award winning producer, mix engineer Dave Isaac talk about power cables at 20 minutes : YouTube
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
I have another question. I have a MixPre6 which works with an AC adapter or batteries. What power source is optimal and isn't DC power clean?
Would it make a difference powering thru a camera battery or a AA Sled? Are these power units only for AC current or DC also? I'm imagining DC or wall wart current is DC so linear?.....

Truly curious and if you guys can post a file done through the optimal power and non to the converter, that would be great!........
I would do a comparison, but any batteries should be better than the wall.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioloud View Post
You bounced INTERNALLY, in the box (not even OTB), and it was sounding different with a different power chord???????
Are you sure?
+1

This is a sensible as saying I used a high end power cord on my son's desk lamp and he did his maths homework more accurately!

Talk about snake oil, more like cannabis oil
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
+1

This is a sensible as saying I used a high end power cord on my son's desk lamp and he did his maths homework more accurately!

Talk about snake oil, more like cannabis oil
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioloud View Post
And you are being wlilfully wrong. You are really trying to convince yourself here not me.
You are also not being very careful with reading what I wrote, or worst still, being intellectually dishonest by "willfully ignoring" what I stated (I'm sure you are not):

- I clearly stated that DA and AD converters have both digi and analog components therfore power supply WOULD make some kind of difference.
- I clearly wrote that my main issue is with people stating that a simple power CABLE have an impact on audio quality which is absurd, while power SUPPLY is a different matter for how it impacts analog equipment.
- I clearly stated that there is no possibility whatsoever of any impact of power supply on internal only processing such as bouncing an ITB mix.

You added your emphasis to points where they talk about conversion (and "workstation" is a whole of many components). You did nothing meaningful to disprove any of my points.(Also do you realize it is not a scientific paper you are linking but a power supply company advertising its services?)

You can't bend the truth.
Believe what you want and, please DO keep spending as much money as possible on power cables, post pics of your favorite ones!
Your emotional investment in this topic exceeds my willingness to spend time on it, so you win. I WILL say that I also used to think the subject was a load of horse****, but because people on the interwebs wouldn't quit yammering about it, I decided to find out for myself. If you ever work up the gumption to do the same, at least one place I know of sells Shunyata's entry level power cord for $125 and will let you return it within two months if you don't like it.

Music Direct | Vinyl Records, Turntables, High End Audio Equipment & Accessories
Old 15th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decompress View Post
If you ever work up the gumption to do the same, at least one place I know of sells Shunyata's entry level power cord for $125 and will let you return it within two months if you don't like it.

Music Direct | Vinyl Records, Turntables, High End Audio Equipment & Accessories
Thats pretty common with the very expensive snake oil cable companies, they offer a no quibbles return policy for set number of days, but they also at the same time stress in their marketing blurb that the cables will need special burn in time over a similar length of time to fully appreciate their sound....funny that....
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
Thats pretty common with the very expensive snake oil cable companies, they offer a no quibbles return policy for set number of days, but they also at the same time stress in their marketing blurb that the cables will need special burn in time over a similar length of time to fully appreciate their sound....funny that....
IME, 200ish hours is usually enough to tell where things are going.
Old 15th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
IME, 200ish hours is usually enough to tell where things are going.
I will say that I actually have 4 of those Venom 14 cables and while they did get a bit better after 100 hours, the difference was immediate. Whether it is just perception, dielectrics or who knows, the changes over time are subtle compared to changing the cable.
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC View Post
I will say that I actually have 4 of those Venom 14 cables and while they did get a bit better after 100 hours, the difference was immediate. Whether it is just perception, dielectrics or who knows, the changes over time are subtle compared to changing the cable.
Yeah, for any decent power cable vs. stock power cable it should be immediately obvious. I've just come to use 200 as a general rule of thumb based on my experience with better cables in general.
Old 15th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, for any decent power cable vs. stock power cable it should be immediately obvious. I've just come to use 200 as a general rule of thumb based on my experience with better cables in general.
Why is it that manufacturers of expensive, high-end equipment do not include these expensive power cables with their products? Why do they think it is perfectly acceptable to include a normal cable? If the differences being talked about here were so obvious, I would think that, for example, a Mytek Manhattan 2 DAC would come with an exotic power cable that opens up the top end and tightens the bass even more! If manufacturers of equipment are stating that it makes no difference, do you think that they are involved in a conspiracy against you to not deliver the full potential of their products?
Old 15th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul brown View Post
Why is it that manufacturers of expensive, high-end equipment do not include these expensive power cables with their products? Why do they think it is perfectly acceptable to include a normal cable? If the differences being talked about here were so obvious, I would think that, for example, a Mytek Manhattan 2 DAC would come with an exotic power cable that opens up the top end and tightens the bass even more! If manufacturers of equipment are stating that it makes no difference, do you think that they are involved in a conspiracy against you to not deliver the full potential of their products?
I mean, yeah, the conspiracy to keep list price down...I'm sure some manufacturers do this as part of a bundle. Mytek actually sells a $200 power cable on their website, though they don't include it with their products. In pro audio I'm sure you would get a vocal group of people complaining about the price increase for a "snake oil" cable.

In hifi, manufacturers just assume you are going buy an aftermarket cable to taste so they don't include them, even if the company manufactures their own.
Old 15th March 2019
Lives for gear

Cannabis resin
Old 16th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC View Post
I mean, yeah, the conspiracy to keep list price down...
So THERE IS a conspiracy!
I wasn't expecting that at all

Beware audio engineers, open your eyes!
Take the blue pill! There are companies conspiring in the dark against your tight bass and wide stereo image, they want to keep it all for themselves and the lizards so they can rule the world!
Old 16th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul brown View Post
Exactly. Vast majority of high end studio equipment don't sell exotic cables, and for good reason.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. When I asked a PSI Audio tech guy about whether I should upgrade the power cables to my A21M's he just laughed and said no, standard ones are perfectly fine and the more expensive ones won't improve the sound. Thats good enough for me
Old 18th March 2019
Gear Guru
Look I don't doubt good stable clean power can improve sound. I also don't doubt people with better ears and equipment than I can hear the difference. The claim was stated that good power makes a measurable/hearable difference in converters specifically. That's not a hard thing to post as samples. It is dead simple to control as a sample. Can someone do it?

Endless speculation, throwing around theories, and name calling, isn't helpful. This is a high end forum on a professional engineering site. Take a high end converter and use a bog standard power supply cable and make a file, do another one with the upgraded cabling/supply. That would at least give something to discuss. I am curious and think the argument is valid. Certainly as valid as replacing tubes or (cabling which I have heard myself in mic cabling, etc.). The premise that power is important makes sense to me, and I don't have the equipment to do it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search